Shell shocked!

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I'm wanting to get a meter. Are they ever provided by the NHS or do I have to get my own? Is the free one the Tee2 mentioned earlier a good one?
I had to buy my own. Be careful of the "free" ones as often the test strips are very expensive. I use a 'Code Free" which cost about £12.00 I think. For the first three months I tested before and after every meal. Now I only test before and after dinner as I (very boringly) tend to have the same few breakfasts and lunches so i know what works for me.

At first I found surprising things, such as my BS often goes up after exercise not down, but I came in here and asked questions. I got lots of help and reassurance. I also learned stuff like my BS rises a lot in the morning unless I have breakfast, but I can't have blueberries and yoghurt for breakfast as that makes my BS rocket, even though I can eat them in the evening with no problems. I would never have learned that without my meter.

Reactions: Ultramum

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox

The Codefree and the Tee2 have the cheapest test strips, and you do need a lot of them. You only need one meter. Neither can be bought from a pharmacy. You have to order on-line, and if you tick the box that you are diabetic they are VAT free.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

You need the meter that reads in mmol/l

Reactions: Ultramum and Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry folks, more questions. Can someone post a link for a simple carb counter please? I've had scrambled egg and smoked salmon for breakfast (no toast!) I think that's ok.
Also I know diabetics get free prescriptions. Is that all prescriptions or is it just the diabetic tablets?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry folks, more questions. Can someone post a link for a simple carb counter please? I've had scrambled egg and smoked salmon for breakfast (no toast!) I think that's ok.
Also I know diabetics get free prescriptions. Is that all prescriptions or is it just the diabetic tablets?
Not quite a carb counter but this site is a great resource for low carb living.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
You will get very good at looking at the back of food packets as you get used to this way of eating. I try to keep the total carb content at less than 5g per 100g as a guideline. Also nutrient values are on most of the food supermarket websites so you can check before going shopping. After a while you'll find that shopping gets much quicker as whole aisles of the supermarket are no longer any use...good luck!

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Many of us use the book or app called Carbs & Cals. It is available on Amazon and is excellent.
You can also use major supermarket websites as they list the nutrients in all the products they sell.
Get used to looking at food labels on packaged foods where it lists the total carbohydrate amount in grams per 100g.

Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon is perfect! No carbs in that.

Diabetics only get free prescriptions (in England) if they are on a diabetic medication, but this includes free prescriptions for all medications, but you have to apply for an exemption certificate. I think in the rest of the UK they are all free anyway.

paula121s

It's all prescriptions, you also get free eye tests. I'm not sure of any other freebies though! Good luck.

Reactions: Ultramum and Rachox

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
That's good to know. Thanks. My hbc1a was quoted as a percentage, how does 8.6% compare to your numbers?
I think mine converts to 11.5 - not good. Better now at 50-52 (6.7 to 6.9) but still have room for improvement (getting off the steroids I have been on for years will help plus another 2 stone + weight loss to go). I bought my own meter and got the doc to put my lancets and strips on repeat prescription.

Reactions: Prem51 and Rachox

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Rachox

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope that this will answer many of your questions. Ask more and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many of us use the book or app called Carbs & Cals. It is available on Amazon and is excellent.
You can also use major supermarket websites as they list the nutrients in all the products they sell.
Get used to looking at food labels on packaged foods where it lists the total carbohydrate amount in grams per 100g.

Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon is perfect! No carbs in that.

Diabetics only get free prescriptions (in England) if they are on a diabetic medication, but this includes free prescriptions for all medications, but you have to apply for an exemption certificate. I think in the rest of the UK they are all free anyway.
Thank you. I'm in England and currently pay £10.40/month for a prepayment card. Looks like I'll save that (every cloud!) I guess that'll go towards my lancets and glucose testing strips. Do you know how I should apply for the exemption certicate?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope that this will answer many of your questions. Ask more and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.
Thank you @daisy1. I had been promised a visit from you! That's my evening reading sorted!

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I'm in England and currently pay £10.40/month for a prepayment card. Looks like I'll save that (every cloud!) I guess that'll go towards my lancets and glucose testing strips. Do you know how I should apply for the exemption certicate?

I think you ask at your surgery. Someone else may know better. I am over 60 so have free prescriptions anyway, and am not on any meds.

Reactions: Rachox

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it possible to take tablets initially to get levels down to normal quickly and get a low carb diet on the go, and then maintain good levels on diet alone?
As far as I could tell the tablets did nothing but increase my blood pressure and make me utterly miserable. When I stopped taking them there was not even a blip on my blood glucose levels, and my blood pressure went back to normal. My blood glucose continued to go down week by week on diet alone.

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome :D
I got the form from the doctors, filled it in, handed back to them and they send off, my exemption card was here within a week, i also had a pre paid card that i paid in full every year in dec, i phoned them up and got £86 back :D

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome :D
I got the form from the doctors, filled it in, handed back to them and they send off, my exemption card was here within a week, i also had a pre paid card that i paid in full every year in dec, i phoned them up and got £86 back :D
Thank you that's very helpful. I'll ask for the form tomorrow. I won't get a refund for my card but I'll phone to get the monthly payment stopped I guess.

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is it possible to take tablets initially to get levels down to normal quickly and get a low carb diet on the go, and then maintain good levels on diet alone?

MF won't do much for you in terms of that a hit of insulin would bring it down. MF takes a while and the benefit is well men brings your blood down by 1.0 tops.

You should supplement it with lower carbs many swear here by LCHF but I found making the dinners took way too long unless I wanted egg bread.

I cap mine between 100 - 120 per day so u do need to watch what you eat as some things can make me exceed that in one sitting. When I do I go for a walk for an hour to burn it off.

There's generally a fewbands for LCHF

150 carbs or less
Moderate low carb diet

50 or less
High low carb diet

20 to 0
Extreme low carb diet.

You need to measure your blood to see which one your suited towards everyone generally on this form sits in one of those 3.

If you are over 150 then ur at a very high risk of the complications though its no hard and fast rule.

Bloods on average here are from what I've seen between 4.7 and 6.3. Keep it below 7 during fasting at all costs. During meals its OK to go over 7 but make sure within 90 minutes your below 8.5 Do not let it exceed 10+ starve if you have too.

Imagine 10% of your blood being sugar granules trying to get into tiny veins

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
MF won't do much for you in terms of that a hit of insulin would bring it down. MF takes a while and the benefit is well men brings your blood down by 1.0 tops.

You should supplement it with lower carbs many swear here by LCHF but I found making the dinners took way too long unless I wanted egg bread.

I cap mine between 100 - 120 per day so u do need to watch what you eat as some things can make me exceed that in one sitting. When I do I go for a walk for an hour to burn it off.

There's generally a fewbands for LCHF

150 carbs or less
Moderate low carb diet

50 or less
High low carb diet

20 to 0
Extreme low carb diet.

You need to measure your blood to see which one your suited towards everyone generally on this form sits in one of those 3.

If you are over 150 then ur at a very high risk of the complications though its no hard and fast rule.

Bloods on average here are from what I've seen between 4.7 and 6.3. Keep it below 7 during fasting at all costs. During meals its OK to go over 7 but make sure within 90 minutes your below 8.5 Do not let it exceed 10+ starve if you have too.

Imagine 10% of your blood being sugar granules trying to get into tiny veins
Thanks for your reply. I've already started carb counting. I reckon I had 107g yesterday. Do you mean Metformin when you say MF?

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Welcome - you have made a great first step by coming here - you may well be surprised at how quickly you can bring your levels down by restricting carb intake - I was diagnosed at close to your current level - and now at normal levels controlled only by diet - also you sound like you have an enquiring mind - in which case be prepared to have your mind blown open by the information that you find on here and the links people will recommend - dietdoctor.com isgood luck with things - the initial shock will fade away - especially once you see that you can control this - it does not have to be a progressive condition - go over to the success stories part of the forum - its inspirational - keep us posted !

Reactions: kokhongw and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome - you have made a great first step by coming here - you may well be surprised at how quickly you can bring your levels down by restricting carb intake - I was diagnosed at close to your current level - and now at normal levels controlled only by diet - also you sound like you have an enquiring mind - in which case be prepared to have your mind blown open by the information that you find on here and the links people will recommend - dietdoctor.com isgood luck with things - the initial shock will fade away - especially once you see that you can control this - it does not have to be a progressive condition - go over to the success stories part of the forum - its inspirational - keep us posted !

Thanks for your encouraging words. Yes I do like to understand things in detail, especially what's going on inside me. I have to take a cocktail of meds already so it would be great not to have to increase my tablet count.