Exercise for controlling type 2 diabetes in underweight people

Jenna2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi everyone, I am 66 years and have been prediabetic for about 4 years with FBG readings gradually worsening. I am relatively fit and active and eat pretty well (sugar free/ lowish carb). My GP tells me I am underweight - (BMI 18) - and that I should try to put on weight. I eat heartily already and couldn't eat more and so am now doing some daily exercises including with weights in an attempt to increase my muscle mass and hence BMI. But to get to my point what I want to know is would more exercise such as 30 mins energetic walking every day help increase my insulin sensitivity? Obviously I mustn't lose weight and am curious to know if exercise has been shown to be helpful in type 2 diabetes in people who don't have any excess weight to lose?

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Hi everyone, I am 66 years and have been prediabetic for about 4 years with FBG readings gradually worsening. I am relatively fit and active and eat pretty well (sugar free/ lowish carb). My GP tells me I am underweight - (BMI 18) - and that I should try to put on weight. I eat heartily already and couldn't eat more and so am now doing some daily exercises including with weights in an attempt to increase my muscle mass and hence BMI. But to get to my point what I want to know is would more exercise such as 30 mins energetic walking every day help increase my insulin sensitivity? Obviously I mustn't lose weight and am curious to know if exercise has been shown to be helpful in type 2 diabetes in people who don't have any excess weight to lose?

Hi Jenna2, I was diagnosed 7 weeks ago -T2. I didn't need to lose weight but going LCHF I have lost about 4lbs. I have a healthy BMI of 26. I do go for a 30 min walk every evening and do at least 15000 steps throughout my day. I have found my calf muscles a little bigger (slim trousers are tighter around the calves) but that is all. I do plank every evening to keep my core muscles strong. I am 53.

Reactions: ringi

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sure helps lowering blood glucose and is well spent time compared to just sitting . But to help muscles become more insuline sensitive weight lifting / resistance training is better it activates the muscles in another way Breaking muscle tissue down which leads to a repair and adding of new muscle cells and healthier muscles cells . Actually it is the damage the weightlifting does to our cell that that makes the change .

Try get around all muscles , the best way is every other day

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Have you increased the proteins and fats to compensate for the lower carbs? Exercise is almost always good. Yes, it does improve insulin sensitivity but often the extra muscle mass compensates for loss of fat during exercise. BTW, I would just mention that those who are diagnosed when having a low BMI may be Late onset T1 and not T2. Bear this in mind if the blood sugar continues to worsen.

Reactions: Freema

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Exercise does play an important part in diabetes control. You don't have be a marathon runner. Keep active and maintain a good health program. It helps.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in a similar position ie: pre-diabetic with no weight to lose & I've actually found that a bit of cardio helps me keep the weight on by increasing my appetite - particularly a good long walk in the fresh air :) Snacking on macadamia nuts & cheese is also helpful.

Reactions: Speedbird

Jenna2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments. I have increased my protein and fat a little - whey protein isolate in various things and a lot more olive oil - to compensate for low carbs. Sadly I can't eat nuts or beans and lentils as they give me gut aches and diarrhoea! (My bowels are a major hindrance to improving my weight!) Good to hear its muscle damage that leads to increased muscle mass - I tore some fibres in my quadriceps yesterday doing split squats with dumbells!! Won't be doing them for a while! I horse ride most days but don't think that extends me much and will definitely try to adopt a regime of a vigorous walk every second day. Also try to do some HIT with a skipping rope. What do you all think about HIT - period of skipping till drop (about 45 secs) brief rest then repeat?

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HIIT (while good for blood sugar & fitness) might actually make you lose more weight. Regular weight/resistance training would probably be better in terms of maintaining/gaining weight while still building muscle to help sugar levels. RE: the digestive issues - is it whole nuts that are the problem? If so then maybe nut butters would be a good option. Homemade mayo is another good way to increase calories.

Jenna2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
HIIT (while good for blood sugar & fitness) might actually make you lose more weight. Regular weight/resistance training would probably be better in terms of maintaining/gaining weight while still building muscle to help sugar levels. RE: the digestive issues - is it whole nuts that are the problem? If so then maybe nut butters would be a good option. Homemade mayo is another good way to increase calories.
Hi Safi, thanks for your comment - you are probably right re HIT and weight loss. I will concentrate on the exercise with weights regime but think will do some skipping to get my heart rate up as I'm under the impression this will increase cardio-vascular fitness which family history shows be important for me. Nut butters? I only know peanut. I had assumed it to be made with whole nuts and so would be just as bad for my gut. Am I wrong in this? Raw peanuts seem to be particularly bad for me but I'm not sure about roasted ones with the outer skin removed. Maybe its the outer skin (in almonds too)

Jenna2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi again Safi, my reply went b4 I'd finished! Maybe its the outer skin of nuts that causes me problems? Homemade mayo? Will look up a recipe - sounds good

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently there are all kinds of things in nuts (lectins & phytic acid - also present in legumes) that can cause people problems. Some people just can't break whole nuts down properly which is why I wondered about nut butters but perhaps you're more on the lectin/phytic acid side of the fence. I've read that macadamias are fairly low in these so may be worth a try.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes Macadamia is very different in its profile so maybe give them a try They taste wonderful But not of much

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Jenna2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Apparently there are all kinds of things in nuts (lectins & phytic acid - also present in legumes) that can cause people problems. Some people just can't break whole nuts down properly which is why I wondered about nut butters but perhaps you're more on the lectin/phytic acid side of the fence. I've read that macadamias are fairly low in these so may be worth a try.
Thanks Safi, I will try smooth peanut butter and whole macadamias. LOVE macadamias but have steered clear of them in the past due to their high fat content, but maybe it isn't a 'bad' fat - i.e. saturated? Will look it up. Maybe you know?

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jenna2 - Macadamia nuts are largely monounsaturated fats so if you're concerned about the saturates then they're actually a really good choice. They are fantastically calorific so hopefully your digestion can handle them. Peanuts are actually a legume so if you do have issues with phytic acid & lectins then peanut butter could cause you a problem. Best of luck to you :)

Reactions: Speedbird

Jenna2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@Jenna2 - Macadamia nuts are largely monounsaturated fats so if you're concerned about the saturates then they're actually a really good choice. They are fantastically calorific so hopefully your digestion can handle them. Peanuts are actually a legume so if you do have issues with phytic acid & lectins then peanut butter could cause you a problem. Best of luck to you :)
Thanks again Safi, Am going to buy some Macadamias today. Won't confuse the issue by trying peanut butter until the macadamias have been tested! Really appreciate your help - will let you know how I go . . . Here's hoping . . . .

Jenna2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Good news - seems my guts are happy with macadamias! Have pigged out on them over the past 36 hours with no adverse effects. Very pleasing . . . . Wonder if you can buy macadamia meal for baking?! Will wait a while and then try peanut butter.
Thanks again Safi.

Reactions: Safi

Jenna2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yes Macadamia is very different in its profile so maybe give them a try They taste wonderful But not of much
Hi Freema, Just wondering what the end of your message should have read - But not of much what . . . Sounds like there's a negative here?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Freema, Just wondering what the end of your message should have read - But not of much what . . . Sounds like there's a negative here?

No I didnt mean anything negative , just that the taste is not very markedly , not bad in anyway , I would think that even persons with nausea would be able to eat them and like them.. I myself eat a lot of them as my healthy fats and when not wanting to count carbs and get too many carb.. But I have found lately that fats does not satiate me much and I have to have fibres to really feel satiated.. many have a different experience.

Last edited:

Jenna2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
No I didnt man anything negative , just that the taste is not very markedly , not bad in anyway , I would think that even persons with nausea would be able to eat them and like them.. I myself eat a lot of them as my healthy fats and when not wanting to count carbs and get too many carb.. But I have found lately that fats does not satiate me much and I have to have fibres to really feel satiated.. many have a different experience.
Thanks Freema, glad there wasn't a negative. They will be a regular part of my diet from now on.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good news - seems my guts are happy with macadamias! Have pigged out on them over the past 36 hours with no adverse effects. Very pleasing . . . . Wonder if you can buy macadamia meal for baking?! Will wait a while and then try peanut butter.
Thanks again Safi.

Excellent news @Jenna2 - I've been known to mash an avocado in a bowl, mix in 1/2 cup or so of macadamias & eat it like cereal - not the most elegant of meals but quick, nutritious & calorific!

Hope your quads are felling better :)