What am I dealing with here...

Mark14400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK,
Brief trip to my GP today for high blood pressure tablets review...All good, no need to change medication.....Turned out the GP was interested in my diabetes diagnosis . Wish I hadn't engaged, but I did. I said I wasn't confident with the type 1 diagnosis, he said I'd be more likely be Type 2 because of my age and weight "but does it really matter what type I am". I was grinding my teeth. I explained my clinical presentation and he went on to say Type 1's take 400 units rather than the 22 units I currently take....."Please stop talking" was the only thought in my head....Problem is this idiot is insisting I attend an annual review because the GP practice has to review my medication or risk losing my prescription (like it will change !), so if I don't atttend, I die was the bottom line.... despite having 6 monthly reviews at the diabetic clinic....So that makes 3 reviews annually. Is there anyone else that would like to review me ? Don't care anymore....beyond angry ATM

Last edited:
Reactions: Crystalwand

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I explained my clinical presentation and he went on to say Type 1's take 400 units rather than the 22 units I currently take....."

Really, my average TDD is around 32 units.

Maybe have a word with your diabetes Consultant/DSN.

Reactions: Mark14400

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Clearly you are dealing with an idiot. Nod and smile at the GP, be honest with your clinic and consultant about the experience and with luck they can send a letter saying 'no messing with medication'.

Reactions: Medusa41

Mark_1

OK,
Brief trip to my GP today for high blood pressure tablets review...All good, no need to change medication.....Turned out the GP was interested in my diabetes diagnosis . Wish I hadn't engaged, but I did. I said I wasn't confident with the type 1 diagnosis, he said I'd be more likely be Type 2 because of my age and weight "but does it really matter what type I am". I was grinding my teeth. I explained my clinical presentation and he went on to say Type 1's take 400 units rather than the 22 units I currently take....."Please stop talking" was the only thought in my head....Problem is this idiot is insisting I attend an annual review because the GP practice has to review my medication or risk losing my prescription (like it will change !), so if I don't atttend, I die was the bottom line.... despite having 6 monthly reviews at the diabetic clinic....So that makes 3 reviews annually. Is there anyone else that would like too review me ? Don't care anymore....beyond angry ATM

Change doctor

CJOtter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You have to have a medication review by your GP because in the end they are the ones signing the prescription. I good one will do something along the lines of "you're still diabetic,(and always will be) are we prescribing you enough of what you need each month? Let me adjust it so we are. cheerio".

They way our government have the system set up they have to record things like your blood pressure cholesterol etc to get Qaf points that ensure they are paid properly for what they do. These are all things that someone should be doing for you. Mine are done at the hospital clinic and I tell the GP to get it from the letters that the hospital send.

Use the resources that are offered to you. Use the hospital reviews to get the management tools, use the GP to get the drugs. Don't let things grind you down. Diabetes won't go away but it doesn't have to rule you.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK,
Brief trip to my GP today for high blood pressure tablets review...All good, no need to change medication.....Turned out the GP was interested in my diabetes diagnosis . Wish I hadn't engaged, but I did. I said I wasn't confident with the type 1 diagnosis, he said I'd be more likely be Type 2 because of my age and weight "but does it really matter what type I am". I was grinding my teeth. I explained my clinical presentation and he went on to say Type 1's take 400 units rather than the 22 units I currently take....."Please stop talking" was the only thought in my head....Problem is this idiot is insisting I attend an annual review because the GP practice has to review my medication or risk losing my prescription (like it will change !), so if I don't atttend, I die was the bottom line.... despite having 6 monthly reviews at the diabetic clinic....So that makes 3 reviews annually. Is there anyone else that would like to review me ? Don't care anymore....beyond angry ATM
Although I've always found my GP's to be excellent, it's not always the same case across the board I'm afraid.

Unfortunately your GP is entirely misinformed, 400u is a chronically high amount of insulin and ironically enough, would actually be better suited to a T2 of all things... So he's actually contradicted himself.

My TDD is currently 33u: eating 150g per day with a basal dose of 18u. I'm entirely confident I'm a T1 and would only question otherwise if a qualified diabetologist/endocrinologist were to present a decent case. Not just a wild statement.

CJOtter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Although I've always found my GP's to be excellent, it's not always the same case across the board I'm afraid.

Unfortunately your GP is entirely misinformed, 400u is a chronically high amount of insulin and ironically enough, would actually be better suited to a T2 of all things... So he's actually contradicted himself.

My TDD is currently 33u: eating 150g per day with a basal dose of 18u. I'm entirely confident I'm a T1 and would only question otherwise if a qualified diabetologist/endocrinologist were to present a decent case. Not just a wild statement.
Very similar doses here. Ignore your GP

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That GP sounds so ignorant about diabetes that I would be thinking about moving to another practice. I moved about 3 years ago and have never regretted it. We have enough to deal with without having to cope with HCPs who are a nuisance rather than being a help.

Mark14400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Clearly you are dealing with an idiot. Nod and smile at the GP, be honest with your clinic and consultant about the experience and with luck they can send a letter saying 'no messing with medication'.
Thank you...

alhubb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was told by my endocrinologist that it is 0.5 units per kg of each person. I am currently on around 38 units a day give or take, so it sounds like the GP is an idiot. Also, age and weight does not decided diagnosis, if so everyone over a certain age/weight would e type 2 diabetic, which just isn't true. And being type 1 and dealing with hypos will inevitably lead to struggling to maintain your weight, so that is a pretty good excuse as being type 1!! Stop worrying

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow. Your GP needs educating! Im sure you feel very frustrated. Talk to your Consultant and see if he/she could write to your GP about your diagnosis and treatment. Shocking.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
When you get the review appointment send a polite email saying you're seen by the consultant x no of times pa and the prescription is adequate and does not require changing. You are happy to confirm this over the phone too in order to save your gp time.