1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What am I dealing with here...

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Mark14400, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Mark14400

Mark14400 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

OK,
    Brief trip to my GP today for high blood pressure tablets review...All good, no need to change medication.....Turned out the GP was interested in my diabetes diagnosis . Wish I hadn't engaged, but I did. I said I wasn't confident with the type 1 diagnosis, he said I'd be more likely be Type 2 because of my age and weight "but does it really matter what type I am". I was grinding my teeth. I explained my clinical presentation and he went on to say Type 1's take 400 units rather than the 22 units I currently take....."Please stop talking" was the only thought in my head....Problem is this idiot is insisting I attend an annual review because the GP practice has to review my medication or risk losing my prescription (like it will change !), so if I don't atttend, I die was the bottom line.... despite having 6 monthly reviews at the diabetic clinic....So that makes 3 reviews annually. Is there anyone else that would like to review me ? Don't care anymore....beyond angry ATM

• Like Like x 1
    #1 Mark14400, Jun 1, 2017 at 9:30 PM
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Really, my average TDD is around 32 units.

Maybe have a word with your diabetes Consultant/DSN.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Clearly you are dealing with an idiot. Nod and smile at the GP, be honest with your clinic and consultant about the experience and with luck they can send a letter saying 'no messing with medication'.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mark_1

Mark_1 · Well-Known Member

Change doctor

• Like Like x 1
  5. CJOtter

CJOtter Type 1 · Active Member

You have to have a medication review by your GP because in the end they are the ones signing the prescription. I good one will do something along the lines of "you're still diabetic,(and always will be) are we prescribing you enough of what you need each month? Let me adjust it so we are. cheerio".

They way our government have the system set up they have to record things like your blood pressure cholesterol etc to get Qaf points that ensure they are paid properly for what they do. These are all things that someone should be doing for you. Mine are done at the hospital clinic and I tell the GP to get it from the letters that the hospital send.

Use the resources that are offered to you. Use the hospital reviews to get the management tools, use the GP to get the drugs. Don't let things grind you down. Diabetes won't go away but it doesn't have to rule you.

• Like Like x 2
  6. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Although I've always found my GP's to be excellent, it's not always the same case across the board I'm afraid.

Unfortunately your GP is entirely misinformed, 400u is a chronically high amount of insulin and ironically enough, would actually be better suited to a T2 of all things... So he's actually contradicted himself.

My TDD is currently 33u: eating 150g per day with a basal dose of 18u. I'm entirely confident I'm a T1 and would only question otherwise if a qualified diabetologist/endocrinologist were to present a decent case. Not just a wild statement.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. CJOtter

CJOtter Type 1 · Active Member

Very similar doses here. Ignore your GP

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JMK1954

JMK1954 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That GP sounds so ignorant about diabetes that I would be thinking about moving to another practice. I moved about 3 years ago and have never regretted it. We have enough to deal with without having to cope with HCPs who are a nuisance rather than being a help.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Mark14400

Mark14400 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. alhubb

alhubb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was told by my endocrinologist that it is 0.5 units per kg of each person. I am currently on around 38 units a day give or take, so it sounds like the GP is an idiot. Also, age and weight does not decided diagnosis, if so everyone over a certain age/weight would e type 2 diabetic, which just isn't true. And being type 1 and dealing with hypos will inevitably lead to struggling to maintain your weight, so that is a pretty good excuse as being type 1!! Stop worrying

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. auroralapetite

auroralapetite Type 1 · Active Member

Your GP is an idiot. I'm honeymooning, tbf, but I am on a TDD of 6.5 units, averaging 220g carbs a day.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lynz84

Lynz84 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Wow. Your GP needs educating! Im sure you feel very frustrated. Talk to your Consultant and see if he/she could write to your GP about your diagnosis and treatment. Shocking.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tigger

tigger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When you get the review appointment send a polite email saying you're seen by the consultant x no of times pa and the prescription is adequate and does not require changing. You are happy to confirm this over the phone too in order to save your gp time.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook