ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Over the past couple of years, I had tried claiming PIP, I had been refused a couple of times even failing at the tribunial stage.
I tried again and went for an assessment on the 15th May. A week later, I requested a report of the assessment which I was happy with.
I have now heard, I have been awarded the enhanced rate for care. Did, t get mobility rate but I am out regarding that.
I am over the moon, I applied for having bipolar. All that I sent with the form was a photocopy of my prescription. They didn't, t even write to my Gp or Psych. .
I do think that helped me at the assessment was that there was another assessed in the room who was assessing the asesser assessing me.
I do get assessed again in 18 months time.
So anyone going through with PIP, just keep trying

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My son (ASD, ADHD, learning difficulties) has to transfer from DLA to PIP when he turns 16 in a months time. I'm dreading the forms - he's been on DLA since he was 8, so it's been such a long time since I last had to do them :)

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
My son (ASD, ADHD, learning difficulties) has to transfer from DLA to PIP when he turns 16 in a months time. I'm dreading the forms - he's been on DLA since he was 8, so it's been such a long time since I last had to do them :)
When you get the form for your son to change to PIP, I would urge you to get help filling it in.
It is very hit and miss getting it

Reactions: dbr10 and zand

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news @ally1 - I am very very pleased for you, I never understood how they could turn you down. Well done on being persistent- not an easy thing for someone with your condition to have to deal with. Bless you a little celebration is in order - just not cake lol

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Over the past couple of years, I had tried claiming PIP, I had been refused a couple of times even failing at the tribunial stage.
I tried again and went for an assessment on the 15th May. A week later, I requested a report of the assessment which I was happy with.
I have now heard, I have been awarded the enhanced rate for care. Did, t get mobility rate but I am out regarding that.
I am over the moon, I applied for having bipolar. All that I sent with the form was a photocopy of my prescription. They didn't, t even write to my Gp or Psych. .
I do think that helped me at the assessment was that there was another assessed in the room who was assessing the asesser assessing me.

I'm delighted for you. You have been so consistent in your approach to this, and at last, those efforts have been properly rewarded.

I'm sure others appreciate your positive and encouraging news.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well done girl. I'm delighted for you.
Onwards and upwards! ;)

New2T1D

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Things that are unfair.
I applied on behalf of my son. Diagnosed T1D a week before 16th birthday (rubbish timing) 6 months ago. The process involved an interview that was horrendous. The lady (I use the term loosely) who interviewed him was French and had quite poor English (unusually). If her grasp of English was bad, her listening skills were worse: she had clearly made up her mind that he wasn't getting this allowance before we even walked in the door. She had little knowledge of T1D, evidenced by her ignorant attempts to put words in his mouth: "So your life is not different to before" and "You have low sugars maybe once a month or maybe once every two months" (haha!) "You don't have to take medicines." She asked to see his prescription for insulins - which we didn't have with us, as we weren't asked to bring it. I clearly stated that he took two types of insulin. "So you inject every day or every week?" ARGH. My son left close to tears and really cross with me for putting him through this. I'd never advise anyone to put a child through an interview like that. Not worth any amount of money (!) I'm so pleased though to see that someone has managed to get PIP - well done to you for your resilience and perseverance. If it was me personally, I'd probably have pushed on - and complained when I received the report, which described a meeting that just didn't happen that way. But I let it go.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Well done girl. I'm delighted for you.
Onwards and upwards! ;)
Thank you.
I have tried and tried before. It's getting so hard to get now.
I still say that having the assessor assessing the assessor that was assessing me made a very big difference

Reactions: dbr10

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I applied on behalf of my son. Diagnosed T1D a week before 16th birthday (rubbish timing) 6 months ago. The process involved an interview that was horrendous. The lady (I use the term loosely) who interviewed him was French and had quite poor English (unusually). If her grasp of English was bad, her listening skills were worse: she had clearly made up her mind that he wasn't getting this allowance before we even walked in the door. She had little knowledge of T1D, evidenced by her ignorant attempts to put words in his mouth: "So your life is not different to before" and "You have low sugars maybe once a month or maybe once every two months" (haha!) "You don't have to take medicines." She asked to see his prescription for insulins - which we didn't have with us, as we weren't asked to bring it. I clearly stated that he took two types of insulin. "So you inject every day or every week?" ARGH. My son left close to tears and really cross with me for putting him through this. I'd never advise anyone to put a child through an interview like that. Not worth any amount of money (!) I'm so pleased though to see that someone has managed to get PIP - well done to you for your resilience and perseverance. If it was me personally, I'd probably have pushed on - and complained when I received the report, which described a meeting that just didn't happen that way. But I let it go.
It's is so hard to get PIP now a days.
I still think having the other assessor in the room helped me get PIP.
It's a disgrace how so many people get refused.
It's will have to go through it all again in about a years time
I have read for every one that that is refused PIP, the assessor gets a 86 pound bonus

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read for every one that that is refused PIP, the assessor gets a 86 pound bonus
If that's true it is disgraceful!

Well done Ally, I am so pleased you finally got what you are entitled to. Honestly I don't think I could have gone through that myself, you should be immensely proud of yourself.

Reactions: dbr10

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Well done Ally for persevering.

I am getting DLA at present but will have to apply for PIP this year even though my DLA was continual, and I'm dreading it.

I will definitely be getting help with the form and have been told that I should ring them immediately that I receive the form and ask for a six week extension to give me time to complete it. I went to Tribunal twice to get my DLA and will certainly go all the way with the PIP too and would urge others to appeal at all times. There are still some who will help with appeals and if no one appeals the government will think we don't want it. Don't let the b***ers grind you down ...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My esa interview was very similiar. Diabolical infact. The whole report was inaccurate. I was too ill to go through it and do their job for them. Luckily my partner had MIND supporting him and when they messed him around I had to get our MP involved. They left us with no money, no rent over xmas with 2 young children. We both had paid london rate taxes for nearly 30yrs each. We needed help due to ill health and we were effectively laughed at.
Some people killed themselves due to their bad behaviour. Disgraceful!
I don't think teresa may management will be forgiven for it. Innocent deaths. :( :( :(

Reactions: ally1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
If that's true it is disgraceful!

Well done Ally, I am so pleased you finally got what you are entitled to. Honestly I don't think I could have gone through that myself, you should be immensely proud of yourself.
Thank you zand.
Battle over for a couple of years but know I will have to go through it all again.
Next job is to re apply for my esa sometime this year

Reactions: zand

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver

I am getting DLA at present but will have to apply for PIP this year even though my DLA was continual, and I'm dreading it.
A word of warning. With PIP and ESA, you can only get a 2 week extension on the date they both give you for the forms to be back by.
I will definitely be getting help with the form and have been told that I should ring them immediately that I receive the form and ask for a six week extension to give me time to complete it. I went to Tribunal twice to get my DLA and will certainly go all the way with the PIP too and would urge others to appeal at all times. There are still some who will help with appeals and if no one appeals the government will think we don't want it. Don't let the b***ers grind you down ...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Good for you Ally.
You show will power and determination and thats so hard to be consistent with when you have your illnesses.. xx

paula121s

Well done Ally, it is difficult to get PIP. I managed to get it after a year battling the system. I was assessed standard care and mobility initially after my assessment, at the time I was in a wheelchair!! It was changed to enhanced after a mandatory reconsideration. I would recommend everyone appealing as the majority are overturned at appeal. If anyone needs help filling them out look on the CAB website as they give some good advice and examples for each question.

Reactions: ally1

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know people at the support group I go to who are persecuted by the system. There is no other world for it. It is an absolute disgrace that they are being stripped of the benefits to which they are entitled, and then put through an appeals process designed to wear them down so that they give up.

Reactions: Pammy_50 and ally1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I know people at the support group I go to who are persecuted by the system. There is no other world for it. It is an absolute disgrace that they are being stripped of the benefits to which they are entitled, and then put through an appeals process designed to wear them down so that they give up.
I totally agree with you.
I still think I got PIP because there was an assessor in the room who was assessing the assessor that was assessing me

Reactions: dbr10 and zand