Urine sample kits

Alanem

Dislikes
Fish except from the chippy
My annual review was this morning and I had been given one of the new container kits for my customary urine sample. As I wasn't certain how to use it I went on line and ended up on the website of Elkay the suppliers. There weren't any instructions but there was a price list and believe it or not these kits are on sale for £132 each!! Rather than mess it up I did what I've been doing for thirty years and peed in a little pot. The diabetic nurse wouldn't comment on the cost when I told her and she explained the old pots leaked. She showed me how to use the kit and it was all very impressive but all that went for test was a small test tube full of pee..the rest went in the bin. Plus the kits have a use by date which means I've got to make a special trip to the clinic to collect a kit just before my next review. The mind boggles at how many of these kits must be needed for all the many conditions requiring a urine sample. I am told every waking hour that the NHS are strapped for cash and I expect they will get a quantity discount but I think I'd rather pee in a little pot and get some more coppers working to stop these jihadis than have these new Star Trek gadgets.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What kit is this, £132 :wideyed:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My annual review was this morning and I had been given one of the new container kits for my customary urine sample. As I wasn't certain how to use it I went on line and ended up on the website of Elkay the suppliers. There weren't any instructions but there was a price list and believe it or not these kits are on sale for £132 each!! Rather than mess it up I did what I've been doing for thirty years and peed in a little pot. The diabetic nurse wouldn't comment on the cost when I told her and she explained the old pots leaked. She showed me how to use the kit and it was all very impressive but all that went for test was a small test tube full of pee..the rest went in the bin. Plus the kits have a use by date which means I've got to make a special trip to the clinic to collect a kit just before my next review. The mind boggles at how many of these kits must be needed for all the many conditions requiring a urine sample. I am told every waking hour that the NHS are strapped for cash and I expect they will get a quantity discount but I think I'd rather pee in a little pot and get some more coppers working to stop these jihadis than have these new Star Trek gadgets.
You can't be serious? I picked-up a standard urine sample tube today for my review and it was the standard cheap plastic thing. I can't imagine what your surgery is doing as it comes out of their surgery budget.

Alanem

Dislikes
Fish except from the chippy