Life with Libre

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you spoken to Abbott about it? It may be you don't get on with the sensor but I'm glad I persevered.

I spoke to them yesterday and tonight I have written to them asking what might be going wrong for me. Thousands of people get on fine with them so it is probably my body rejecting it. I fully intend to persevere it is in my nature :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's my first day using the sensor after waiting 24 hours after insertion (couldn't make myself wait any longer!).

Accuracy wise it seems OK, but did say I was 4.8 when I felt low and meter said 3.3 - I think this was due to the lag. Other than that it seems pretty accurate.

But my arm is hurting quite a lot now, as if it's rejecting the sensor. I think maybe the filament is in my tricep muscle, or maybe near a nerve. I'll see how it goes but at this rate I can't see me getting to 14 days with it still in. :(
I recall that @Ledzeptt had some issues with the sensor hurting but it did settle down. I've had twinges and the odd one that nips a bit but nothing too severe. I think it was Scott_c that said to me if you think about it you are introducing a foreign body so it's natural your system will want to attack the 'interloper' hence the waiting to activate to give the body a chance to adjust to it. My current sensor is due to expire tomorrow but I've had it's replacement on for 2 days now and it's fine. I'm either getting used to them or just better at applying them.

Britishbob

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
OK countdown is done and the scanner is working. I've discovered it will scan through the leather case on my mobile so that's good. A few question though.
1) I did a finger prick before the 1st test and got 6.6. Waited 10 mins and did the 1st scan on the sensor and got 7.3.
Have I got this the right way around? Is it blood, wait , scan or scan, wait , blood?
I expected it to be different but that's a fair difference.
2) does it just take time to settle? I.e are the first few scans normally out?
I appreciate it is all about the trend but that seems quite a gap.
How do you know which is OUT , that is of course if one of them is? From the internet you can find medical reports that will tell you more information on how accurate the Libre is
It would be interesting to know how the tests discussed on here are performed - is there an assumption made the meter used is accurate and the tests performed appropriately on washed hands???

Britishbob

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you everyone for all the helpful comments. I'm not about to disconnect and give up at the 1st hurdle - I'm pretty pig headed and like to understand things. A bit frustrating as I was hoping to get to a couple of finger pricks but with the weird readings I've ended up having to check more than I intended.
Blood - Wait - Scan
After I bit of experimenting it seems 6 mins gets me reasonably close to the finger reading - as in 0.1 close. Will watch this tomorrow and see if I get the same results. The sensor is fine. Still very secure and living under Opsite. I skipped aqua today as I had Grandson but will be in the pool Friday and Saturday. Hopefully it will remain firmly attached.
Since I activated it this afternoon I've been in the 6's all day but one thing I have noticed now having checked the BG log against the Libre is they were moving in the same direction it just the Libre was well out at certain points I.e the 4.1 but I had dropped to 6.1 and an 8.2 that was actually 6.8. I just put a note on the readings on the Libre to say they were well out.
@Bluetit1802 I can't see anything about 15 min logs on the app. @Brunneria uses the App too so maybe she can add to this?
Both grandsons have now spotted the sensor now and are referring to it as Nana's secret sugar thing!
The other thing Nana's secret sugar thing told me today was that post dinner my BG did not go up - it fell and went on dropping. Not as low as the Libre thought but it was falling. All in all its been a pretty good day and it's nice to know I'm not harpooned by that needle
Just something to think about - How do you know the Libre is out - did you perform an appropriate trial to prove the blood meter being used was accurate? Some meters don't pass the new standards required of them check this out on the internet

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just something to think about - How do you know the Libre is out - did you perform an appropriate trial to prove the blood meter being used was accurate? Some meters don't pass the new standards required of them check this out on the internet

All meters have to pass the same accuracy test, as laid down by the International Organization for Standardization. (ISO) before they can be marketed. The latest standards are ready for implementation, or should have been by May 2016. Some may still be following the 2013 standards. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy.html

We all know our meters aren't 100% accurate, but they are all we have. Doing several comparison checks daily and using the averages of these gives us a broad idea of how high or low they read, on average.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have read the reports... The simple fact is that the Libre is not as accurate as the good modern blood meters (like the one built into the Libre reader). That said, it's possible either can be out, but more likely the sensor.
Personally if I'm questioning a result, I do another test on my optium neo - same tech as what's in the strip part of the Libre reader, uses the same strips.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ledzeptt

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So waiting for my first sensor, has anyone else been frustrated by the slowness. I know I am used to Amazon etc but I ordered on Sunday and it is still only showing as picked this morning - Wednesday. At this rate I will have to order a replacement almost as soon as I put the first one on. In comparison I ordered new strips for my Dario on Saturday and they arrived yesterday. Surely they can put them in the post quicker than this? If they got them onto NHS formularies how on earth would they distribute them. Most pharmacies expect to order in the morning and have by the afternoon!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So waiting for my first sensor, has anyone else been frustrated by the slowness. I know I am used to Amazon etc but I ordered on Sunday and it is still only showing as picked this morning - Wednesday. At this rate I will have to order a replacement almost as soon as I put the first one on. In comparison I ordered new strips for my Dario on Saturday and they arrived yesterday. Surely they can put them in the post quicker than this? If they got them onto NHS formularies how on earth would they distribute them. Most pharmacies expect to order in the morning and have by the afternoon!

Oh yes. I remember that anticipation with the first order... wait til you have had the first one on your arm for a day or two before you activate it - now that is torture! ;)

Re your question about increased demand if they were approved on the NHS - in that case they would increase production (again), and keep stocks in warehouses ready for delivery. Each sensor has a use by date of several months, so providing they are kept at normal room temperature, they remain perfectly useable.

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So this slowness is normal? My hesitation is how my skin will react which is why I am buying one at a time but then you don't appear to get a discount for buying more.... On the other hand it's a gadget so I'm hooked.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get a bad case of NewToyItis with everything. The most recent was my fitness watch thingy. :)

Can't really say whether slow is normal or not, now. When I placed my first order (18 months ago) delivery was around a week, I think. But more recently has been much shorter, although presumably subject to demand. The best bit is their delivery procedure. Again, I don't know if everyone gets the same, but around here, I can track the delivery van over the internet using the tracking number. I only did that once though, because the man stopped half a mile down the road to (presumably) have his lunch break. He was parked outside a corner shop. I thought I was going to explode in anticipation. But then 2 mins later he was knocking on my door, and the 2 day wait til sensor switch-on began. :D

I was concerned about skin reactions to the adhesive too, but haven't had any problems so far, which surprised me, because I get skin reactions to plasters and that white hypoallergenic tape they use after blood tests. I think it is just the luck of the draw - and for me, I hope they don't change their adhesive any time soon.

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I react to plasters but also had a very nasty reaction to a pain killing patch but it was absorbing drugs through the skin. Will try with just cavilon to start with. I have 3 smart watches and just can't resist new tech though I must admit have gone off Samsung recently due to poor customer service and switched to the pixel range - would recommend.

clarejenkins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salad as makes me vomit, all raw vegetables, nuts etc give me indigestion
I use a sticky wipe recommended by Libre to improve adhesion and have not had one fall off since. I find the reader very convenient as can set post meal retest alarms and record carb intake and medication times. Smaller than my mobile which is too big sometimes, but can log both to the sensor anyhow. It does read lower than capillary but the gap is consistent. However fir driving I do double check a low reading. I love that I can read as often as I like and nit be using up lancets and test strips and getting sore fingers.

clarejenkins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salad as makes me vomit, all raw vegetables, nuts etc give me indigestion
also was advised by libre not to put dressings over the sensor

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I can see myself spending hours looking at the data. I couldn't finger prick every 15 mins and I am hoping the overnight information will be useful as due to go on insulin soon.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the advantage of using a Libre for T2's. I can see for T1's and insulin dependant T2's it is better as they have to test so often. It seems a lot of expense for something that is really not necessary for T2's who are not on insulin. I would not have one even if we got them on the NHS as I would not fancy something strapped to me 24/7 unless it was absolutely essential that I had one I think it would make me obsessive. I am quite happy pricking my fingers

Mark_1

What is the advantage of using a Libre for T2's. I can see for T1's and insulin dependant T2's it is better as they have to test so often. It seems a lot of expense for something that is really not necessary for T2's who are not on insulin. I would not have one even if we got them on the NHS as I would not fancy something strapped to me 24/7 unless it was absolutely essential that I had one I think it would make me obsessive. I am quite happy pricking my fingers

I've purchased the starter pack. It will give me 28 days of data. So I can have 28 different breakfasts, lunches and dinners and record the results. Not just before and 2 hours after but 1 hour, 3 hours etc. That would be a lot of testing. I probably won't continue with it long term unless the price comes down, but having all this information is useful to me to settle on a long term diet plan.

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For me as a type 2 it's to see what lays behind the annual Hba1c and the finger pricks. I have dawn phenomenon so I want to see what happens. For me as I will be going on insulin it's also to provide a baseline

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've purchased the starter pack. It will give me 28 days of data. So I can have 28 different breakfasts, lunches and dinners and record the results. Not just before and 2 hours after but 1 hour, 3 hours etc. That would be a lot of testing. I probably won't continue with it long term unless the price comes down, but having all this information is useful to me to settle on a long term diet plan.

If you have the reader you can also see your actual levels every 15 minutes, not just the times you scan. (you need to download the log to see them)

Reactions: Mark_1

EngineerMe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recall that @Ledzeptt had some issues with the sensor hurting but it did settle down. I've had twinges and the odd one that nips a bit but nothing too severe. I think it was Scott_c that said to me if you think about it you are introducing a foreign body so it's natural your system will want to attack the 'interloper' hence the waiting to activate to give the body a chance to adjust to it. My current sensor is due to expire tomorrow but I've had it's replacement on for 2 days now and it's fine. I'm either getting used to them or just better at applying them.
Thanks, that makes sense! I'm guessing it's a mixture of your body gets used to it and you learn where the best place to apply it is for you.

Seems less painful so far today but I have a new problem... It's peeling off - see photo. I'm guessing this isn't meant to happen haha?

The adhesive between my skin and the sticker is fine, it's the actual plastic sensor bottom peeling away from the adhesive sticker part. Should I contact Abbott?
825f8e1d8c3dcc703075693e8036ad77.jpg