Who are you voting for in the general election 2017?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like Con's have done a deal with the DUP and will form a government accordingly, but no matter how you look at last nights results it was a disastrous night for May and the Tory Party and a spectacular night for Corbyn and the Labour Party.
So the magical money tree will be in NI then.....;)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They voted for chaos this time by the looks of it.
Yep and we will have that for sure. I'll just keep my head down and watch with interest.

Hopefully, this makes a less damaging Brexit more likely;

That would be nice, but I'm still not sure the EU will do us any favours . We chose to leave. Folks here seem to want to be still part of the single market, but not part of the single market when it comes to labour. I'm not sure the majority of Brits will be happy whatever the terms are.
Brexit means Brexit ( running for cover with @Diakat )...

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep and we will have that for sure. I'll just keep my head down and watch with interest.

That would be nice, but I'm still not sure the EU will do us any favours . We chose to leave. Folks here seem to want to be still part of the single market, but not part of the single market when it comes to labour. I'm not sure the majority of Brits will be happy whatever the terms are.
Yes. The thing is the single market and free movement go together. It would help if people understood that EU migrants who come here to work make a net contribution to the economy and tend to use services less than we do. This is a truth that the tabloids are not interest in. Of course migration brings problems and has to be controlled. People have told me the NHS can't cope with immigrants and you can't get your kids into school. The truth is that the Government is happy to take their taxes, but not interested in providing the services they need. And immigration is a useful distraction. I spoke to an old man recently complaining about people using the NHS. His standpoint was completely racist. Ironically, the person he was talking about was probably born here. I actually asked him (to avoid the race references), "So, if a German or a Frenchman comes here to work in the city, and he pays his taxes and national insurance, you are saying that he is not entitled to use the NHS or put his children in school".
"No", he said.

Reactions: Prem51 and zand

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it weird listening to the major party leaders (Tories, labour, SNP etc) this morning all claiming they won. In reality, none of them won. The country certainly hasn't won. It is all a mess. The very important Brexit negotiations .... well, I hate to think about those. Europe wants certainty (and they are right) but doesn't care which political persuasion prevails. Certainty is what we don't have and can never have with a hung parliament, each side relying on help from others, which may or may not be there at crucial times..

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find it weird listening to the major party leaders (Tories, labour, SNP etc) this morning all claiming they won. In reality, none of them won. The country certainly hasn't won. It is all a mess. The very important Brexit negotiations .... well, I hate to think about those. Europe wants certainty (and they are right) but doesn't care which political persuasion prevails. Certainty is what we don't have and can never have with a hung parliament, each side relying on help from others, which may or may not be there at crucial times..
True. It's a shambles.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

Since the referendum on the EU was called primarily in response to threats from the EU to clamp down on tax havens and investment schemes with continual discussion around introducing a Tobin Tax I think the guys with the most to gain from Brexit have succeeded. I think the Europeans were surprised the people in the street accepted the arguments and claims like £350m pw for the NHS so readily but since the patrons of our local social club were celebrating winning the right to buy banana's in any shape they wanted I rather suspect those people at least had never been exposed to a reasoned discussion about it. Absolutely no reason why anything would have changed since then so the will of the 1% majority (630,000 people) prevail. Bit of a nuisance for the organisation I am with as that is 80% of funding and a place on several research and development boards lost but tbh given the interests of she who leads DEFRA that would have been a very likely outcome anyway.

Reactions: Prem51

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's a bloody good thing for the Tories that Labour didn't have a leader that was liked by the media and people on the street!!!!:banghead:;)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It may not be the time for propositional representation to be brought in for at least one of the houses of parliament as a counter balance to the first past the post system used in the other house and be actually represented the percentage of votes for each party and finally lose the house of lords!
The number of people who actually voted against the current government is and will never be a fair system.
Tactical voting is rife in every constituency.

The boundary commission is so far behind and always favours the larger parties.

Locally, the whole of the Merseyside revolted with a ten percent average swing to Labour. Unbelievable!
This follows the brexit vote were the area voted solidly remain.

I'm certain we live in a different country than the south!

Astounding result for Labour!

See you in the autumn after the minority Tories try and get their budget through and get beat!
Can't believe that May is hanging around.
The country has spoken!
Go!
For all our sakes, Go!

Reactions: Prem51

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Paul Dacre has his own agenda.

Oh him!

Isn't he (sorry my post will be deleted!)

Very right wing and in favour of tax havens and such, but only for the few?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Locally, the whole of the Merseyside revolted with a ten percent average swing to Labour. Unbelievable!

Where remarkably large numbers of people also voted remain and there was a similar swing to labour in many of those seats too. Not so different! ;)

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh him!

Isn't he (sorry my post will be deleted!)

Very right wing and in favour of tax havens and such, but only for the few?
Daily Hate Mail editor. May was his candidate.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's a bloody good thing for the Tories that Labour didn't have a leader that was liked by the media and people on the street!!!!:banghead:;)

The press is predominantly right-wing so they are never going to like a labour leader no matter who they are, except for the Mirror and the Manchester Guardian the rest will back the Tories come what may.

I honestly think Corbyn will stay now and will be there at the next election, had the election gone the way that some predicted then he'd have been pushed today or sometime in the next few weeks.

Reactions: dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where remarkably large numbers of people also voted remain and there was a similar swing to labour in many of those seats too. Not so different! ;)

Yes, my constituency (in Lancashire and therefore not in the south @Lamont D ) voted our Conservative MP back with an increased majority over Labour, 58% of the vote and a 3.7% swing. We had an overwhelming majority to leave.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Sorry, didn't get the accent of that post!:angelic:

In other political news!

UKIP has crashed and burned, along with the leader!

The (democratic) unionist party has had the democratic part of its name dropped by the prime minister!
(When did the Tories change its name in Scotland, now the Scottish conservative and unionist party?) Isn't that a separate party?

The lib dems gained and lost seats! Not going to do well after the catastrophic period in government!

Reactions: dbr10 and Prem51

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
UKIP has crashed and burned, along with the leader!

Don't rule out Nige making a comeback:

upload_2017-6-9_17-37-7.jpeg

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, my constituency (in Lancashire and therefore not in the south @Lamont D ) voted our Conservative MP back with an increased majority over Labour, 58% of the vote and a 3.7% swing. We had an overwhelming majority to leave.

Surmising that the swing came from ukip!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

I don't think that is accurate. I don't know figures for the rest of the South East, but in London there was also an average 10% swing to Labour. In the Eu referendum London voted by 60% to Remain.
My constituency voted 60% for Remain, and my Labour MP got re-elected with a 10.9% increase in her vote.