Who are you voting for in the general election 2017?

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I wish you all well with the DUP propping up TM's government. Boris Johnson will hopefully back stab her for the PM job and party leadership.

Thankfully I will never be back to the UK, most of our families have passed on. The rest I have no time for.
I am sure Boris is doing precisely that. It is a wonder they let him have what I perceive to be such a position of power. However from the reported reactions of other nations he seems to be accepted with tolerance so maybe he is just the handshake, wine, dine, good time man. Theresa certainly seems to be the decision maker and her predecessor paved the way in expertise in getting laws into statute with minimal debate. If/when Boris replaces her there will be laugh.
Fortunately I am practically retired and we have hubby's company pension based on the way schemes used to be. I very much doubt we will ever see a penny of the state pension though. Losing the NHS is going to hit us hard but there are many nations in the world were the average citizen has no access to healthcare.

Reactions: Prem51

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have noticed the £ has taken a dump against the Australian $, it is now worth $1.6927.

My UK pension will not be worth a cracker shortly. :meh:
Hasn't it already fallen more than that? It's the political uncertainty. On one view, the result makes a soft Brexit more likely, so it shouldn't have fallen.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't worry it will pick up, the value plummets in times of uncertainty, as this is when risks are higher as they cannot be foreseen. Had either party got in on a majority the value would have still dropped until the transition is completed. For example the results of Brexit crashed the market as no one wanted to trade on the uncertain future but not long after the result and things calmed the pound went up.

Its probably going to be low for a bit as May has made a monumental **** up (yay!) again so we are not sure what the plan is ourselves. At least this hard brexit can go in the bin now!

Sorry politics creeping in!
I think you are absolutely right.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The £ has been on the slide since the populace voted for Brexit, it will not get better with a coalition government.
The markets expect the economy to be damaged, so the £ falls.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As if the day couldn't get worse for the PM, Kensington goes red for the first time ever :wideyed:

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is because our future is a bit up in the air, BREXIT hasn't happened yet and we have no clue of the terms, once the markets know our intentions and its safer to invest they will go up. The result last night surprised everyone hence the crash (crashed from the exit poll). Same with Brexit morning.

People won't invest in something uncertain, and about the coalition..apart from it being the worst idea since green tomato ketchup, you have a far right hard brexit with teaming up with "borderline" terrorists who prefer a soft brexit among other things..how on earth are we going to judge what comes out of that. I knew she was warning us about a coalition of chaos, but didn't think she was going to have a hand in leading it!

P.S. Not sure what it can contribute to state this but I was a strong remainer. And yes apologies for turning into a keyboard politician, I am raging slightly from the last three polls (BREXIT, TRUMP (not directly for us, but... what can I say) and this one).
There could easily be damaging political chaos in NI which could threaten the peace process. Major refused to bring in the DUP because the Government needed to be seen as an impartial honest broker. What know?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cannot think of anything positive for the currency I am afraid.
A falling currency means rising prices and a fall in living standards for the working poor.
It is certainly going to be a fun coalition. The DUP is anti abortion, anti same sex marriage and has several creationist and climate change deniers amongst its ranks.
They are absolutely appalling and will use the situation to try to blackmail the Government. Disproportionate representation

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In reply to some obvious left wing extremists, I have never bought a copy of the daily mail or been on their web site, my information on Corbyn and Abbots IRA links came from the BBC.
Do you not understand that you are fixating on two individuals and are ignoring everyone else who has had any kind of dialogue with people they disagree with. There would have been no peace process without these contacts.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Do you not understand that you are fixating on two individuals and are ignoring everyone else who has had any kind of dialogue with people they disagree with. There would have been no peace process without these contacts.
Hush. He says it all in his satement as to who he believes. Maybe he earns the same or more than the guys at the Broadcasting b*****ks for Cambridge and has to appease the same people to retain his post/get promotion. One day he will learn you have to ask who says what, why, when, where and how but meantime he has a handy label he will apply to everyone who has an issue with anything he claims.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hush. He says it all in his satement as to who he believes. Maybe he earns the same or more than the guys at the Broadcasting b*****ks for Cambridge and has to appease the same people to retain his post/get promotion. One day he will learn you have to ask who says what, why, when, where and how but meantime he has a handy label he will apply to everyone who has an issue with anything he claims.
Yes, I ignored that, but we do usually come back to silly labels.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I honestly can't believe that they are going in with DUP, especially after everything she said about Corbyn and terrorist sympathiser, coalition of choas and everything else. She is a person (party) of no principles, doing whatever dirty tactic to stay in. But what we can try to take as a positive from this is that she will be held to account, this majority blank check is not going to happen, this hard brexit, should not happen and hopefully cuts to public sector will be blocked. The DUP oddly seem to be all for soft brexit, and public spending... and then for anti everything else nice!

@Ian_Laye And yes.... cos the BBC is not biased....

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I honestly can't believe that they are going in with DUP, especially after everything she said about Corbyn and terrorist sympathiser, coalition of choas and everything else. She is a person (party) of no principles, doing whatever dirty tactic to stay in. But what we can try to take as a positive from this is that she will be held to account, this majority blank check is not going to happen, this hard brexit, should not happen and hopefully cuts to public sector will be blocked. The DUP oddly seem to be all for soft brexit, and public spending... and then for anti everything else nice!

@Ian_Laye And yes.... cos the BBC is not biased....
The Brexit vote already had the potential for political instability in NI. The majority voted to remain. The UK voted to leave. How would we police a hard border, when we couldn't during the troubles? What if it's a soft border? Would Brexit have a detrimental effect on the NI economy? Might the logical conclusion be a united Ireland. The situation already had the potential for disaster - now we have the DUP thrown into the mix. They will demand whatever concessions they can get. John Major resisted the temptation for an alliance with the DUP because it was important that the UK Government was seen as an honest broker in the peace process. This just makes the situation worse.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Brexit vote already had the potential for political instability in NI. The majority voted to remain. The UK voted to leave. How would we police a hard border, when we couldn't during the troubles? What if it's a soft border? Would Brexit have a detrimental effect on the NI economy? Might the logical conclusion be a united Ireland. The situation already had the potential for disaster - now we have the DUP thrown into the mix. They will demand whatever concessions they can get. John Major resisted the temptation for an alliance with the DUP because it was important that the UK Government was seen as an honest broker in the peace process. This just makes the situation worse.

Totally agree with all the above, i mean in my mind Irelands been troubled since the Brexit vote, Scotland was, but seems to have accepted the outcome hence the lack of SNP support. The thing is she is has royally messed up, and is not thinking properly, just trying to retain power. She wont last long, people are already ****** off with her campaign which was hilarious at best (we got a cassetteboy mix from it! Yay!) and there will be a lot of women, gay and principled people in the conservative party who would not want to do a deal with DUP at all as they are against what they stand for.I am intrigued to know what happens when she falls.

All in all, politics asides, its going to be a fun one to watch.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Totally agree with all the above, i mean in my mind Irelands been troubled since the Brexit vote, Scotland was, but seems to have accepted the outcome hence the lack of SNP support. The thing is she is has royally messed up, and is not thinking properly, just trying to retain power. She wont last long, people are already ****** off with her campaign which was hilarious at best (we got a cassetteboy mix from it! Yay!) and there will be a lot of women, gay and principled people in the conservative party who would not want to do a deal with DUP at all as they are against what they stand for.I am intrigued to know what happens when she falls.

All in all, politics asides, its going to be a fun one to watch.
All we can to is hope for the best and that we can find a way forward.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is twelve months since the brexit election.
It is two years since the Tory manifesto appeasing the far right to include a brexit vote.
It was the utter laughable manifesto and the pms performance that lost the election.
The constant slagging off of other politicians and **** ups that more than contributed to the result.
The election should have been a cruise for the Tories, but the collection of disastrous decisions made in Tory headquarters which includes this nonsensical minority government with help from the dup is shocking and ill thought!
With the collapse of ukip, the Tories should be celebrating a outright improved majority.
You could pick up on a lot of discontent with the pm, but I believe it's the Tory mandarins and lobbyists that have got this so wrong!

And you are not surprised that the pound.d has fallen?

I will quote what I said when the brexit vote was declared.

Forgive them Lord, for they not know what they are doing!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is twelve months since the brexit election.
It is two years since the Tory manifesto appeasing the far right to include a brexit vote.

Forgive them Lord, for they not know what they are doing!
It is the second time the Conservatives have put party interests before the interests of the Country. I think it backfired both times. The referendum result was a wish to "take back control" and for the UK to assert it's own independence; of populist politicians offering simple solutions to complicated problems; and of lies and misrepresentations in the print media about immigration. 17,500 health care professionals left the NHS last year when it is understaffed. That has to be, in large part, due to uncertainty over their future. We choose not to train them people. We prefer to poach them from other countries instead. Very few people realise that EU migrants who come here to work make a net contribution to the economy. All they read about are NHS queues and lack of school places. That requires that the Government spend the money these people pay in taxes, on Public Services. But immigration is a useful scapegoat for underfunding.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
In a way I'm glad that the Conservatives have achieved a small majority with support from the DUP. The Brexit negotiations will be difficult and perhaps it is better that the Conservatives who brought us to this, will have to deal with them.
I expect the result will be a disappointment to most of the people who voted for it, not the suuny uplands of the idyllic 1950s they thought they were going to get.
May is fatally wounded, the alliance with the DUP is going to cause problems, the right wing Tory MPs who want a hard Brexit will be plotting against her, the 1922 Committee men in grey suits are demanding she sacks her two close advisers.
I don't think there will be an election this year unless the Conservatives spectacularly implode, but I think there will be one before, or just after Brexit in 2 years.
That will give Labour the time to pull the PLP together behind Corbyn, and be in a far stronger position to win the next General Election.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The 1922 Committee men in grey suits are demanding she sacks her two close advisers.
Already done, I think.
I don't think there will be an election this year unless the Conservatives spectacularly implode, but I think there will be one before, or just after Brexit in 2 years.
It's a very devisive issue within the Conservative party. But the will want to arrange a seamless transfer of power and avoid an election.
That will give Labour the time to pull the PLP together behind Corbyn, and be in a far stronger position to win the next General Election.
I think that would be quite a hill to climb. We are not really sure how many people voted for Labour because of him, or in spite of him; though I guess the majority made a positive choice. Only fitting that May stays on to deal with the mess; at least for a while. How best to describe the current situation - Omnishambles or Cluster....

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Putting my tin hat on!

I'm part Scottish, so why can't I have the option to vote for the SNP in my constituency or in England, Wales or Northern Ireland?
I'm part Welsh, so why can't I vote for Plaid Cymru in my constituency or in England, Scotland or Northern Ireland
I'm part Yorkshire, so why couldn't I vote for the Yorkshire party?
I'm mostly Scouse, we don't have that local type of party, Why?

We had a UK general election, why is it who the parties put forward in your constituency you can actually vote for?
Why can't people in Northern Ireland vote for the Lib dems?
It's crazy!

Monster Raving Loony party, or else it's the greens!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Already done, I think.

It's a very devisive issue within the Conservative party. But the will want to arrange a seamless transfer of power and avoid an election.

I think that would be quite a hill to climb. We are not really sure how many people voted for Labour because of him, or in spite of him; though I guess the majority made a positive choice. Only fitting that May stays on to deal with the mess; at least for a while. How best to describe the current situation - Omnishambles or Cluster....

Definitely the latter!
Two advisors gone already or are the scapegoats?