I'm cured! (Apparently..)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Well folks, its official. I no longer have diabetes, not even pre-diabetes, according to my gp, now make of that what you will.

He's a decent guy, but we had a disagreement over this, as he suddenly stopped my metformin two weeks ago. I saw him to check why it had suddenly disappeared off my script, and he told me it wasn't necessary as I'm no longer diabetic. Although I should be delighted with this news, it has come at the worst time, when I'm in therapy for an eating disorder and I'm eating foods that I've avoided for years - the very last thing I need is to be scrutinising every morsel I eat.

I explained this to him but he didn't seem to understand - I did argue that it was important for me not to rock the boat at present. His argument, which I found incredible, was that he didn't want me ending up in hospital with a hypo. You can guess what I wanted to say in response to that, but kept my thoughts to myself - I just wanted my Metformin reinstated. He has, albeit reluctantly, but said when therapy is finished he will stop it.

I totally see his point of view regarding prescribing something that "officially" isn't necessary, but he couldn't have picked a worse time to spring this on me. So, anyway..just kind of venting really.

Thank for listening x

Reactions: Energize and Prem51

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Huge hug. Hope the therapy helps.
Get through the therapy and then see what your results look like and address things then. For now, stick with the small steps in the knowledge you still have the metformin.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Prem51

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Did your levels drop purely through use of the meds or was it helped by a low carb diet? I hope he's right...seems more likely that steps in the wrong direction would soon reverse the reversal... but we are all different. I'd get on with everything else you're doing and see how it goes. Good luck.

Reactions: Prem51

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hang in there - you fought your corner and you won a battle - you have won many battles in your journey so keep positive and be gentle on yourself (())

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My GP did the same it wasn't till I argued that as an apatite suppressant it would help me control my weight that he reinstated it.

Reactions: Energize

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well folks, its official. I no longer have diabetes, not even pre-diabetes, according to my gp, now make of that what you will.

He's a decent guy, but we had a disagreement over this, as he suddenly stopped my metformin two weeks ago. I saw him to check why it had suddenly disappeared off my script, and he told me it wasn't necessary as I'm no longer diabetic. Although I should be delighted with this news, it has come at the worst time, when I'm in therapy for an eating disorder and I'm eating foods that I've avoided for years - the very last thing I need is to be scrutinising every morsel I eat.

I explained this to him but he didn't seem to understand - I did argue that it was important for me not to rock the boat at present. His argument, which I found incredible, was that he didn't want me ending up in hospital with a hypo. You can guess what I wanted to say in response to that, but kept my thoughts to myself - I just wanted my Metformin reinstated. He has, albeit reluctantly, but said when therapy is finished he will stop it.

I totally see his point of view regarding prescribing something that "officially" isn't necessary, but he couldn't have picked a worse time to spring this on me. So, anyway..just kind of venting really.

Thank for listening x

Why HCP's can't differentiate between 'Controlled' and 'Cured' is a mystery to me! :banghead: