Pregnancy

charliemann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 33 and I'm type 1 have only been diagnosed for a year. Myself and my partner are thinking of having another baby but this one would be my first pregnancy since having diabetes and I'm worried about it. I would love to hear anyone that has done this and any advice you have I'm just so worried about controlling my diabetes in pregnancy and passing diabetes on to my child. X

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a type 1 31 years and have two children, first at 33 second at 34. I was on an insulin pump prior to pregnancy and still am. Pregnancy is complicated when type 1 lots and lots of testing and changing of insulin doses but doable. Having a good hbA1c is essential before you get pregnant so if yours needs improving start doing that now. Carb counting and monitoring of blood sugars before and after meals to stop any swings is the crux of being pregnant with diabetes everything needs to be exact but you'll be well able for it cos its your baby you're doing it for. You will be well monitored during pregnancy and will have lots more hospital appointments compared to a non diabetic pregnancy. As for passing it on think its 1 in 4/5 chance but my girls are 7 and 6 and still no sign of it in them. I was induced at 38 weeks on my first as is the norm her in Ireland for type 1 diabetics and waters went at 37 weeks on my second. My first was a vaginal birth no complications and babs didn't need to spnd any time in NICU cos of low blood sugars. My second was a section due to failure to progress and spent a night in NICU cos of low blood sugars. Both girls fed well from the beginning and have no other problems. If its something you want you'll do it regardless of the work involved. x

Reactions: charliemann

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@charliemann Can I move this to the Pregnancy section for you where it will best catch the eye of ladies who are or have recently been pregnant?

Reactions: charliemann

charliemann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type 1 31 years and have two children, first at 33 second at 34. I was on an insulin pump prior to pregnancy and still am. Pregnancy is complicated when type 1 lots and lots of testing and changing of insulin doses but doable. Having a good hbA1c is essential before you get pregnant so if yours needs improving start doing that now. Carb counting and monitoring of blood sugars before and after meals to stop any swings is the crux of being pregnant with diabetes everything needs to be exact but you'll be well able for it cos its your baby you're doing it for. You will be well monitored during pregnancy and will have lots more hospital appointments compared to a non diabetic pregnancy. As for passing it on think its 1 in 4/5 chance but my girls are 7 and 6 and still no sign of it in them. I was induced at 38 weeks on my first as is the norm her in Ireland for type 1 diabetics and waters went at 37 weeks on my second. My first was a vaginal birth no complications and babs didn't need to spnd any time in NICU cos of low blood sugars. My second was a section due to failure to progress and spent a night in NICU cos of low blood sugars. Both girls fed well from the beginning and have no other problems. If its something you want you'll do it regardless of the work involved. x

Thank you so much for that reply that has helped loads and so glad to hear your two are well! That's helped me loads thank you!! Xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes sorry I'm still getting used to this app from my phone. Xx

No need to be sorry at all :)

I have Type 1 and 3 children. A diabetic pregnancy is more work because you need to be diligent about controlling your blood sugar, but it's perfectly do-able, as many ladies here can tell you :) I'd also add that you get really good care if you have diabetes and are pregnant. You get a lot of support, extra scans, etc, which helps relieve any worries.

The first thing you should do, if you haven't already, is speak to your consultant/DSN, and get an appointment at a pre-conception clinic. This will help you with things like control and ensuring you have the special high dose folic acid that ladies with diabetes need to take.

You mentioned being worried that you'll pass on Type 1 to your child. Don't be. Children of mums with Type 1 only have a very slightly increased risk of getting it :)

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been Type 1 for over 20 years and we are pregnant with our first, at 21 weeks now. As long as you have good HA1c beforehand and good support from your diabetes team you will be fine. Its a lot of work but any pregnancy could have difficulties whether you have diabetes or not. As azure mentions get in touch with your team to get an appointment for pre-conception clinic, they are a great help in ironing out the questions and figuring out details before you are actually pregnant. Better to get as much knowledge behind you before you have "baby-brain" LOL
There is a slight increased risk of another family member developing diabetes but many people (like myself) that are diagnosed with Type 1 have no family history of diabetes.
Good luck and all the best :happy:

Reactions: azure

JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
I was in a similar position, diagnosed at 30 and wanting to start a family. Diabetes team gave the go-ahead after 6 months and I luckily conceived quickly. This meant I was still honeymooning during pregnancy. Upshot was I didn't have any more hypos than normal in the first trimester, negative was that when my insulin requirements dropped at 32 weeks with lots of night time hypos they had no idea if it was a problem with the pregnancy or due to honeymooning! I was induced at 34 weeks which wasn't ideal but felt to be safer than leaving baby longer. This is a positive story though, I don't want it to scare you! We are both well and I felt incredibly well looked after throughout.