GP wants me off lixisentide and on insulin

anitaw0lf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been on lixesentide now for about three or more years. Initially before I was put on it, I couldn't get my hba1c to below 11.6. This had just been approved and the diabetic clinic tested me on it. I only get nausea in the morning g when I first inject, otherwise my hba1c came down to 6.5 and now its at about 7.5. However my gp now wants me off it , even though my experience has been good, and he comes across as an **** when it comes to ignorance with diabetes. I have three nonbths to get my hba1c down to below 7. I don't know if its possbile, but he's putting me on insulin. I'm terrified. Any hints on how to stop myself of on self sabotage as I'm trying to stick to the low carb plan, and failing miserably.

Have any of you now had them change your medication without proper reason, should I get a second opinion?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find doing Atkins so easy, I wonder why you are sabotaging yourself.
Is there some particular problem you have with the way of eating?
I went from 91 to 47 in 80 days without really trying all that hard - I expected it to take a lot longer, so it ought to be possible to lower your Hba1c if you are really determined to stay off insulin.
The thing is that with the medication you are on you could hypo, so you need to be checking your blood glucose regularly.
Eating low carb is very effective and it has lowered my readings to less than half what they were, without any tablets.

anitaw0lf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I find doing Atkins so easy, I wonder why you are sabotaging yourself.
Is there some particular problem you have with the way of eating?
I went from 91 to 47 in 80 days without really trying all that hard - I expected it to take a lot longer, so it ought to be possible to lower your Hba1c if you are really determined to stay off insulin.
The thing is that with the medication you are on you could hypo, so you need to be checking your blood glucose regularly.
Eating low carb is very effective and it has lowered my readings to less than half what they were, without any tablets.

Thanks for your info, I did low carb a long time ago and was very successful been. Just need a kick up my ****! Will try it again, and I am upping my activity...I'll keep you posted

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your info, I did low carb a long time ago and was very successful been. Just need a kick up my ****! Will try it again, and I am upping my activity...I'll keep you posted

Yes, diet is the key, and low carb is the way to go. Just be aware that the less carbs you eat the less insulin you need - and your medication stimulates extra insulin production, which you may not always need. You will have to test regularly to make sure you aren't dropping too low..