Cholesterol Results

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Should I be concerned about the results - I stopped taking a statin due to issues several months ago.

Serum choolesterol level - 6.4mmol/L
Serum triglyceride levels - 0.60 mmol/L
Serum HDL cholesterol level - 2.07 mmol/L
Serum LDL cholesterol level - 4.06
Serum cholesterol /HDL ratio - 3.1
Serum non high density lipoprotein cholesterol level - 4.33

all other results my diabetic nurse said were in the green zone.

Thank you for taking time to read and if you respond then thank you for your time and any knowledge on the results.

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't be overly concerned about those levels.
Your triglycerides and HDL are ideal
Your total/HDL ratio is good

Those are the important ones.

Do read round the forums about this. If you use the search box lots of threads will show up.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Typically my biggest concerns are HDL and tryglicerides. Then ratios of all. I don't worry much about total cholesterol. I'm not familiar with your measurements so going off what @Bluetit1802 said.

If you're concerned many find reducing saturated fats and dairy in exchange for plant / mono fats help such as avocado, olive oil, nuts and seeds.

I'm don't know if you're eating dairy, cream, cheese, yogurt or chicken skins and bacon but if you are maybe replace the TYPE of fat you're eating.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The best foods to eat to lower LDL are oily fish, dark chocolate, avocado, a small glass of red wine daily, black and green tea, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, olive oil, rapeseed oil for cooking at high temps. Basically, foods high in antioxidants and omega 3.

Reactions: dbr10

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder if taking alpha lipoic acid ( huge antinoxidant and free radical scavenger ) will lower cholesterol? Hmmm...

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Should I be concerned about the results - I stopped taking a statin due to issues several months ago.

Serum choolesterol level - 6.4mmol/L
Serum triglyceride levels - 0.60 mmol/L
Serum HDL cholesterol level - 2.07 mmol/L
Serum LDL cholesterol level - 4.06
Serum cholesterol /HDL ratio - 3.1
Serum non high density lipoprotein cholesterol level - 4.33

all other results my diabetic nurse said were in the green zone.

Thank you for taking time to read and if you respond then thank you for your time and any knowledge on the results.
I agree with prem51 about using hughcalc as guidance. I also like https://www.qrisk.org/2016/index.php as an indicator of how concerned you need to be about the risk of CVD.

Lots of exercise, eating olives, turmeric, garlic and using olive oil seems to be generally accepted as an advisable precaution against the liklihood of CVD/stroke. The rest is basically your choice as to how concerned about the risk you are and whose advice you follow. Certain illnesses seem to run in families and individual tolerance to certain foods is so varied I am inclined to believe the genetic inheritance factor coupled to environmental triggers is the major indicator of future health. The researchers and advisors offer us such a wide range of conflicting advice it seems best to be sensible, moderate and choose a diet that suits you. The saturated v unsaturated debate apparently continues so the only certain advice is make sure you do not allow any oil/fat to be heated beyond its smoke point.

It is also generally agreed that we need cholesterol and that the body makes the majority but not all the cholesterol it needs.

Reactions: Prem51