1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cholesterol Results

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by srobertson06, Jun 18, 2017.

1. srobertson06

srobertson06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Should I be concerned about the results - I stopped taking a statin due to issues several months ago.

Serum choolesterol level - 6.4mmol/L
    Serum triglyceride levels - 0.60 mmol/L
    Serum HDL cholesterol level - 2.07 mmol/L
    Serum LDL cholesterol level - 4.06
    Serum cholesterol /HDL ratio - 3.1
    Serum non high density lipoprotein cholesterol level - 4.33

all other results my diabetic nurse said were in the green zone.

Thank you for taking time to read and if you respond then thank you for your time and any knowledge on the results.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I wouldn't be overly concerned about those levels.
    Your triglycerides and HDL are ideal
    Your total/HDL ratio is good

Those are the important ones.

Do read round the forums about this. If you use the search box lots of threads will show up.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Typically my biggest concerns are HDL and tryglicerides. Then ratios of all. I don't worry much about total cholesterol. I'm not familiar with your measurements so going off what @Bluetit1802 said.

If you're concerned many find reducing saturated fats and dairy in exchange for plant / mono fats help such as avocado, olive oil, nuts and seeds.

I'm don't know if you're eating dairy, cream, cheese, yogurt or chicken skins and bacon but if you are maybe replace the TYPE of fat you're eating.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Bluetit1802

The best foods to eat to lower LDL are oily fish, dark chocolate, avocado, a small glass of red wine daily, black and green tea, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, olive oil, rapeseed oil for cooking at high temps. Basically, foods high in antioxidants and omega 3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

You can get an idea of what your HDL, LDL and triglycerides levels are, and their ratios to each other are by using the Cholesterol Converter: http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I wonder if taking alpha lipoic acid ( huge antinoxidant and free radical scavenger ) will lower cholesterol? Hmmm...

7. covknit

covknit Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

I agree with prem51 about using hughcalc as guidance. I also like https://www.qrisk.org/2016/index.php as an indicator of how concerned you need to be about the risk of CVD.

Lots of exercise, eating olives, turmeric, garlic and using olive oil seems to be generally accepted as an advisable precaution against the liklihood of CVD/stroke. The rest is basically your choice as to how concerned about the risk you are and whose advice you follow. Certain illnesses seem to run in families and individual tolerance to certain foods is so varied I am inclined to believe the genetic inheritance factor coupled to environmental triggers is the major indicator of future health. The researchers and advisors offer us such a wide range of conflicting advice it seems best to be sensible, moderate and choose a diet that suits you. The saturated v unsaturated debate apparently continues so the only certain advice is make sure you do not allow any oil/fat to be heated beyond its smoke point.

It is also generally agreed that we need cholesterol and that the body makes the majority but not all the cholesterol it needs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bluetit1802

I will let you know in a couple of days. I have my test later today. :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook