Diabesity and economics

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interestingly both UBS and Morgan Stanley have come out with research showing the threat to economic growth caused by diabesity and the related impact on sugar industry .

I can't find the UBS one , though I recall that also foresaw problems for food producers, the MS one focuses on sugar and the loss of economic growth caused by the rise in diabesity - it makes for an interesting read , and while it doesn't go anywhere near far enough, it does show that eventually the economic costs do start to be recognised, albeit 50 years too late.

http://static.latribune.fr/463077/etude-morgan-stanley-impact-diabete-sur-l-economie-mondiale.pdf

Interestingly it singles out Switzerland and France as a place with very high sugar consumption and low diabesity rates. The report put that down to how active its citizens are at least for Switzerland.

Having lived in both countries there for many years I can see that -
the Swiss are an active lot and they do use a lot of sugar - a large part of that is to make their renowned Swiss dark chocolate products - they also love their butter.
In France, butter cream and red wine are a big part of their diet

and the thing that truly distinguishes both of them from the UK is that for the most part they both still eat real food instead of processed foods.

If anyone knows where the ubs report on the same subject is , please post a link !

Reactions: Glenmac and Guzzler

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's all that skiing and mountaineering.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Admittedly swiss schools do tend to take their kids skiing and most Swiss families are out on the slopes each weekend , before going home to big pots of cheese fondue !

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"Was it UBS or Credit Suisse on Fat? "

Yes must ask the nephew about it some time if I get the chance when he is in the UK again..

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Admittedly swiss schools do tend to take their kids skiing and most Swiss families are out on the slopes each weekend , before going home to big pots of cheese fondue !
Meanwhile we sit here in the UK in the smog with our bowler hats on eating pottage unable to go out for fear of Jack the Ripper.

Reactions: jonbvn

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meanwhile we sit here in the UK in the smog with our bowler hats on eating pottage unable to go out for fear of Jack the Ripper.

erm if you say so - skiing down mountains is an awful lot simpler if it is in your backyard ! my own bowler hat is only brought out on special occasions and I have a trusty umbrella to smite any potential Jack the Ripper types who come attack my Boris Bike.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes I and as my nephew is a senior exec with the company on wall street I am hoping he may have some info/insight on why they published it and what their motivation was. There has to be more to it there nearly always is.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I and as my nephew is a senior exec with the company on wall street I am hoping he may have some info/insight on why they published it and what their motivation was. There has to be more to it there nearly always is.

They were saying that fat is the new "thing" so investors should try and target companies that make "high fat" products. It's investment advice pure and simple..maybe get out of the food companies that promote sugar and "added protein". Good that it supports the science that sat fat is not bad for us though.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They were saying that fat is the new "thing" so investors should try and target companies that make "high fat" products. It's investment advice pure and simple..maybe get out of the food companies that promote sugar and "added protein". Good that it supports the science that sat fat is not bad for us though.

Investors follow the money .....

There are three companies that are big players that people don't generally hear much about
Cargill - which is the largest private co in America and its two public company rival Bunge and Archer Daniels Midland.
between them they are huge suppliers of the rubbish into our food supply .

Bunge significantly outperformed the market upto about 2009 but has been gradually deteriorating ever since
Archer Daniels is a similar picture
Cargill is abut 1/3 smaller now than it was five years ago.
Googling its website for diabetes brings up ts.his report on how High fructose corn syrup is ok for public health.

https://www.cargill.com/doc/1432077860280/corn-sweeteners-q-and-a.pdf produced by the corn refiners .

No doubt internally there are rather more debates as to how to reverse these trends.

interestingly Trump appears to be hellbent on increasing the price of sugar !
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coke-cargill-enter-fray-sugar-203114902.html

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
No doubt we will see advertising that includes the message about high fat content being the healthy alternative to sugar (?)

I was recently watching a particular TEDmed talk on diabetes, the gentleman said that a good rule of thumb was to buy foodstuffs that were not advertised on TV, after all, he said broccoli growers can't afford to advertise. I have cooked from scratch for almost my entire adult life refusing to eat orange food from orange boxes simply because the blurbs never tell the whole story of what is in that 'food'. I trusted Monsanto when they said aspartame was a safe alternative to sugar and then I learned the truth so now I refuse to buy anything that I can't identify as having a completely natural source i.e anything that has a number instead of a name or that has a scientific name that one has to google.
Obviously, I can only take this so far. I cannot control how many antibiotics my non organic beef mince has in it etc but I can scan the organic/soil association produce in search of offers on price.

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interestingly both UBS and Morgan Stanley have come out with research showing the threat to economic growth caused by diabesity and the related impact on sugar industry .

I can't find the UBS one , though I recall that also foresaw problems for food producers, the MS one focuses on sugar and the loss of economic growth caused by the rise in diabesity - it makes for an interesting read , and while it doesn't go anywhere near far enough, it does show that eventually the economic costs do start to be recognised, albeit 50 years too late.

http://static.latribune.fr/463077/etude-morgan-stanley-impact-diabete-sur-l-economie-mondiale.pdf

Interestingly it singles out Switzerland and France as a place with very high sugar consumption and low diabesity rates. The report put that down to how active its citizens are at least for Switzerland.

Having lived in both countries there for many years I can see that -
the Swiss are an active lot and they do use a lot of sugar - a large part of that is to make their renowned Swiss dark chocolate products - they also love their butter.
In France, butter cream and red wine are a big part of their diet

and the thing that truly distinguishes both of them from the UK is that for the most part they both still eat real food instead of processed foods.

If anyone knows where the ubs report on the same subject is , please post a link !
I have only just read this post,I'm always late to the party!It interested me because my daughter lives on the France Swiss border,works in Geneva and their two children have been in Swiss and French schools for the last ten years.We visit regularly and the most striking thing to me is the produce in their supermarkets! Intermarche and Carrfour in Gex have wonderful displays of fruit and veg and fresh meat,very short aisles for breakfast cereals and sweets and crisps/snacks.Having just begun low carbing at my last visit, again late to the party I found it a LCHF paradise.My daughter has concerns about her weight (and worry about becoming diabetic) and due to my success ( and rabbiting on)she has now begun a low carbing/Mediterranean style diet.She also combines this with lots of walking running in the nearby countryside.Ill leave you to imagine my 'its all on your doorstep' lecture!The great thing is it has worked for her ......and she's still speaking to me!!But obesity is not the same problem there and it's difficult to buy clothes in larger sizes as there isn't the same demand.The schools have sports facilities but more responsibility is on the families to exercise as a family rather than the schools being responsible for a child's wellbeing.This is how I see it from my limited experience of Swiss French schools.

Reactions: ringi

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having lived in Switzerland for many years, I can well see that many aspects of the Swiss way of life are very healthy. Proper cooked lunches - often eaten at home , a much greater emphasis on fresh foods in the supermarkets, and a massive interest in sports for all. I recall vividly walking in a local park and wondering at the traffic of inline skaters - all aged 60-80 !

Reactions: zand