Not happy with surgery - again

S

serenity648

10 days ago I had my Hba1c test done, as the hospital wanted to know if my abscess had been caused by my blood sugar levels going up.

This Monday I rang for the results. No result. It will be back tomorrow, ring then.

Rang Tuesday - result is back, but I cant tell you what it is until the diabetic nurse has seen it, ring Thursday.

Rang today, cant give me that information, need to speak to the doctor, no telephone appointments until next week. So I politely asked to speak to the diabetic nurse, and she will hopefully phone me back (perhaps)

There is no facility to register for online results at my surgery (wales). Only online facility is for ordering repeat prescriptions.

I feel upset and frustrated. Even if I go to the surgery, the receptionist cant show me the figure or do a print out. Its not available at this surgery.

remind me - what century are we in?????

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In England anyway you have a right to this information and must insist on having it. Ask to see the Practice Manager or go higher.

Reactions: dbr10

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @serenity648 ..
I sympathise with you .. the service that you have received from your surgery is appalling. I also agree with @Daibell .. you should see your Practice Manager (they can not refuse to see you) and insist on appropriate and timely info about your test results

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Has the nurse phoned you back yet? I agree with @AM1874 Unless you make your feelings known, nothing will change. The practice manager has a lot of power.

S

serenity648

Nurse has just rung. Hba1c is still 49. Not brilliant, but not bad either. She sounded a bit put out, but I may be being oversensitive. She seemed to think that I will get anxious over my results and I shouldnt focus on a number, just keep eating the right things - which, in her mind, is the Eatwell plate. She said that stressing over numbers will raise my sugar levels. She will contact me if there is anything to worry about.

Next routine HbA1c is........................in a years time!!!

edited: that should say "shouldnt focus on a number" I have changed my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pcs63

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
And we all know what a success the eatwell plate is don't we?! (Sorry - please do forgive my sarcasm!):banghead::banghead:

Reactions: dbr10

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My consultant neurologist has ordered HbA1c done twice now blood test done in the hospital with no need for GP's involvment.

Could be worth considering in the future?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
10 days ago I had my Hba1c test done, as the hospital wanted to know if my abscess had been caused by my blood sugar levels going up.

This Monday I rang for the results. No result. It will be back tomorrow, ring then.

Rang Tuesday - result is back, but I cant tell you what it is until the diabetic nurse has seen it, ring Thursday.

Rang today, cant give me that information, need to speak to the doctor, no telephone appointments until next week. So I politely asked to speak to the diabetic nurse, and she will hopefully phone me back (perhaps)

There is no facility to register for online results at my surgery (wales). Only online facility is for ordering repeat prescriptions.

I feel upset and frustrated. Even if I go to the surgery, the receptionist cant show me the figure or do a print out. Its not available at this surgery.

May I respectfully suggest that you read:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...sg=AFQjCNEzGFqRoV987Qx781zO--PrgJkQzg&cad=rja

Despite claims that we should all have online access to our test results, GPs can still specify that they need to see you first for test results. It's in the small print. If that's the problem then it's best to make an appointment with your doctor and discuss it with him/her.

You might also like to ask about the Patient Participation Group if there is one, it's being encouraged so that there is an improvement in patient/doctor understanding.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Blood-tests/Pages/Introduction.aspx an interesting little piece. It's not specific but states some blood test can take 2 weeks. Again if that isn't to your liking tell your doctor and/or maybe the practice manager.

May I suggest that you don't get upset about this occasion, just make sure it doesn't happen next time. I'm sure that with some gentle handling it will be achieved. If you feel that they are being awkward, when you have the next test, ask for when the results are back and ask for an appointment, in person or by telephone, with the nurse or doctor to discuss at that time.

S

serenity648

May I respectfully suggest that you read:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiPod7TzuPUAhVgOMAKHeo-DpkQFgglMAA&url=https://www.emishealth.com/media/1537/04-16-medical-records-access-patient-guide.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEzGFqRoV987Qx781zO--PrgJkQzg&cad=rja

Despite claims that we should all have online access to our test results, GPs can still specify that they need to see you first for test results. It's in the small print. If that's the problem then it's best to make an appointment with your doctor and discuss it with him/her.

You might also like to ask about the Patient Participation Group if there is one, it's being encouraged so that there is an improvement in patient/doctor understanding.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Blood-tests/Pages/Introduction.aspx an interesting little piece. It's not specific but states some blood test can take 2 weeks. Again if that isn't to your liking tell your doctor and/or maybe the practice manager.

May I suggest that you don't get upset about this occasion, just make sure it doesn't happen next time. I'm sure that with some gentle handling it will be achieved. If you feel that they are being awkward, when you have the next test, ask for when the results are back and ask for an appointment, in person or by telephone, with the nurse or doctor to discuss at that time.
Thank you for that helpful information. I will take it on board. I would just like to add that the results had been in since Tuesday. The receptionist, when I rang on Tuesday, said they were in, but she couldnt give them out to me and told me to ring up on Thursday when she could give them out to me after they had been reviewed by the diabetic nurse. Then, when I rang today, the procedure had changed again. She is not a new receptionist, and it is a small surgical practice and she knows who i am.

Reactions: Prem51

jamin1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi im new to the site, but i totally get your point i was recently given all my results barr my hba1c, this was worrying to me as they just said you need to speak to the diabetic nurse. At my app some 9 days later the nurse praised me on how well i was doing, although i was v happy it was a wasted trip and unnecessary anxiety. Ive been a diabetic for 18 yrs n have experienced most of the complications, biggest being losing sight in my one eye n much laser to my other. I think the new reading figures for sugar tests confuse the staff n is to hard to calculate, what was wrong with the old method. Anyhow try not to worry, i think the new system is just to difficult for them

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
The receptionist, when I rang on Tuesday, said they were in, but she couldnt give them out to me and told me to ring up on Thursday when she could give them out to me after they had been reviewed by the diabetic nurse. Then, when I rang today, the procedure had changed again. She is not a new receptionist, and it is a small surgical practice and she knows who i am.

I understand and appreciate the annoyance, frustration etc, they are a law unto themselves and seem to make it up as they go along. If it was me, and we all deal with these things in different ways, for the next time, get them, in writing, to say exactly what the procedure is going to be.

My suggestion about the PPG is based on my wife's recent experience in taking an active part in her surgery's PPG. BTW, a surgery that I had some major issues with, similar to yours and why I now drive for 20 minutes to see a different GP, rather than walk for 10 minutes. It's been a real eye opener and why I'm maybe a little more sympathetic, except for the "making the rules up as they go along". I like getting things in writing, I can stuff it up there noses if they get arsey. LOL

Best wishes for your next HbA1c.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

That really is appalling.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nurse has just rung. Hba1c is still 49. Not brilliant, but not bad either. She sounded a bit put out, but I may be being oversensitive. She seemed to think that I will get anxious over my results and I shouldnt focus on a number, just keep eating the right things - which, in her mind, is the Eatwell plate. She said that stressing over numbers will raise my sugar levels. She will contact me if there is anything to worry about.

Next routine HbA1c is........................in a years time!!!

edited: that should say "shouldnt focus on a number" I have changed my post.
The nurse is obviously stupid. Thus is the kind of nonsense that does us no good at all.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
That really is appalling.

appalling
əˈpɔːlɪŋ/
adjective
adjective: appalling
causing shock or dismay; horrific.

Maybe a bit strong. If my surgery doesn't live up to my expectations I'm more inclined to take the softly softly approach avoiding confrontation at all costs and ask lots of questions to find out why they haven't done what I thought they were going to do. I have found over the years that people working in doctors surgeries "might have" very big egos, others are very mild mannered. At the end of the day they can be difficult to deal with if not treated well.

For example, I have never said to a receptionist "I must see the doctor straight away", but have on several occasions been seen almost immediately. Only last week, I'd fallen over, bruising my knee badly and worse still causing the leg to go very red and very hot, explained the situation to the receptionist, who then has to ask the doctor because she's not qualified and I was told if I waited 20 minutes I could be seen. As it happened, before other patients. Prescribed antibiotics, jobs a good'n. .

The nurse is obviously stupid. Thus is the kind of nonsense that does us no good at all.

Probably a bit unfair, you only have to look at what training they have to undergo. https://www.hee.nhs.uk/sites/defaul...rsing and GP practice nursing framework_0.pdf

Also, there is empirical evidence that shows that patients do worry about "numbers", it's why they're so keen and feeling justified in telling us that we don't need a BG meter, we'll only worry. I'm not sure where they found the "worrying" patients to do the research but it was obviously not on this forum. The nurses are just doing as they're told and that's where the problems lie, the rules.

Maybe it's because I'm a Gemini, I tend to see both sides. It's certainly never as clear cut as we'd like to think it is.

BTW, I'm only offering another way of looking at things. I have frequently seen forum members getting really upset about the treatment they get from their surgery and I think the only real answer is tell the surgery, we can only empathise. Tell them nicely or you will get payback. There again, change surgeries, if possible. Just a thought.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also, there is empirical evidence that shows that patients do worry about "numbers", it's why they're so keen and feeling justified in telling us that we don't need a BG meter, we'll only worry. I'm not sure where they found the "worrying" patients to do the research but it was obviously not on this forum. The nurses are just doing as they're told and that's where the problems lie, the rules.
First of all if I am not worry of lung cancer I could start smoking again while dismantling an absestos roof. What is the reasoning?

Also if I don't have a feedback loop I don't know if I'm doing the right things.
If I get a fever due the infection, should I check if is climbing over 40 C or happily take medicines that maybe are ineffective?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She seemed to think that I will get anxious over my results

Conversely you get anxious NOT getting the results too! Especially if you're told they can't give it to you as the Doc needs to review them first - sets your mind racing even more about the result and what is wrong.........!?!

S

serenity648

No change of surgery possible. The next surgery is 20 miles away, I dont drive, and public transport is a joke.

However, this morning it has occurred to me the 49 is NOT good. Its borderline diabetic. I feel lost and confused now, and a bit scared. Can anyone point to to the chart which shows what average blood sugar level 49 is please?

It seems the 18/6 fasting and only eating twice a day hasnt altered anything for me. Not sure what to try next.