Should I be worried

Vejovis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Finally managed a fasting test and one 2 hours after eating.

The fasting was 7.8 mmol/l
Then 2 hours after eating it was 13.3 mmol/l

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Finally managed a fasting test and one 2 hours after eating.

The fasting was 7.8 mmol/l
Then 2 hours after eating it was 13.3 mmol/l
That's a big increase - what did the meal consist of that got you up to 13.3 ? - also - when I got diagnosed I also though that cutting out sugar not be that hard as I mainly eat savoury things..... little did I know - this is where the carbs are ( for carbs, read sugar, because to your body its pretty much the same thing generally ) - the fact you are testing is a massive step forward - it will give you a fantastic insight on how to get into control.

Vejovis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's a big increase - what did the meal consist of that got you up to 13.3 ? - also - when I got diagnosed I also though that cutting out sugar not be that hard as I mainly eat savoury things..... little did I know - this is where the carbs are ( for carbs, read sugar, because to your body its pretty much the same thing generally ) - the fact you are testing is a massive step forward - it will give you a fantastic insight on how to get into control.
The meal was 2 slices of bread (white) with Flora Buttery and a cup of tea with skimmed milk and a sweetener

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The meal was 2 slices of bread (white) with Flora Buttery and a cup of tea with skimmed milk and a sweetener

Oh dear! No wonder you went so high. White bread is far too carb heavy. Flora Buttery is highly processed. Butter is best for you, and tastes a lot better too. I can't manage bread at all other than half a high protein roll from Lidl.

Bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, breakfast cereals and anything made with flour are all major factors in raising blood glucose levels and need to be severely reduced or eliminated if you want to control this..

Good to see you tested, and now can learn that this meal should be off your menu, completely. Any rise of more than 2mmol/l means there were too many carbs on your plate. Try a different breakfast. Eggs cooked any which way are excellent, especially fried with a piece of bacon, a tomato and mushrooms, or a nice omelette, or just plain boiled.

Reactions: Vejovis

Vejovis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Trouble is, as I mentioned earlier the low carb sets my ulcerative colitis off. It's only a low residue diet that seems to keep it under control :-(

I guess it's deciding which is the worst of two evils.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Trouble is, as I mentioned earlier the low carb sets my ulcerative colitis off. It's only a low residue diet that seems to keep it under control :-(

Yes, it's an unpleasant situation.
Either high fibre, low GI, or high fat, or high protein, to help BG, but they all are very poor for ulcerative colitis.
You need to find the best middle ground, I do feel for you.

Vejovis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tried the fasting test again with better results. My results only changed from 7.3 mmol/l to 7.8 mmol / l. That was after 2 hours from eating a low carb fry up.

Can't keep that up of course or I'll end up with a UC flare up.

Spoke to my pharmacist, who recommended low GI as a middle ground between a low carb and low residue diet. So will see how that works out.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My understanding of low GI is that it is a high fibre diet. I think you may need a referal to a diet and nutrition expert can you speak to a doctor about this?

Vejovis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My understanding of low GI is that it is a high fibre diet. I think you may need a referal to a diet and nutrition expert can you speak to a doctor about this?
I am waiting for my first appointment with the diabetes nurse, but that is going to be September now , because the appointment she did make turns out to be a bank holiday. I will ask about it then.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

You may be a text book case for the 5:2 diet or some other type of intermittent fasting. (With low GI at the times you eat.)

Reactions: Vejovis

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well its been a week since I was diagnosed and I've been going low carb . I lost 5 lbs (yay), but I've just done a test on a glucose test meter I bought and it's gone up to 8.2 from 7.3. The change in diet has also set off my ulcerative colitis with a vengeance.

Where am I going wrong?
I think you are not comparing the same type of test with those two numbers. The 7.3% reading from your GP is almost certainly an HbA1c test, it is an estimation of your average blood sugar levels over the last 8 - 12 weeks. The 8.2 mmols/l is an actual measurement of your blood sugar level at that moment. If you enter 7.3% into the converter on this page it converts to 9mmols/l equivalent of an on the spot reading taken at home:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

This link will help you understand HbA1c readings better:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

It's all pretty overwhelming to begin with but keep reading posts on this forum and asking questions. Everyone is lovely, I only started my diabetic journey two months ago and it's a steep learning curve, but you'll get there with the help and support available here like I have.