Non-Invasive Glucose Monitoring Smartphone App

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The "The Epic Health App" claims via the Daily Express to monitor not only blood glucose, temperature, blood pressure to respiration rate, blood oxygen saturation, but also insulin resistance by placing a finger on the screen of a smartphone. Clinical trials at 4 UK centres are due to take place over the next few months.

If this is not vapourware why would the proposed cost be free? This is worth billions if it is accurate and as simple as the demo below shows. What do you think?

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/826632/diabetes-new-app-help-measure-glucose-blood-levels
https://epichealth.io/glucose/
In the demo against the Accu-Chek Mobile it also did heart rate (but did not show the other features):

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly I would be surprise if it works at all. :D

This seems real though. But it has a rather high startup cost and doesn't do continuous monitoring.
http://www.eser.com.tw/

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The "The Epic Health App" claims via the Daily Express to monitor not only blood glucose, temperature, blood pressure to respiration rate, blood oxygen saturation, but also insulin resistance by placing a finger on the screen of a smartphone. Clinical trials at 4 UK centres are due to take place over the next few months.

If this is not vapourware why would the proposed cost be free? This is worth billions if it is accurate and as simple as the demo below shows. What do you think?

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/826632/diabetes-new-app-help-measure-glucose-blood-levels
https://epichealth.io/glucose/
In the demo against the Accu-Chek Mobile it also did heart rate (but did not show the other features):
Wow!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Interesting - I've heard nothing of this company, and I'm not clear how you can measure glucose via either touching a phone screen or the camera of a phone, without any other form of interface, and there's no patents showing for this type of thing (which you'd expect!).

Last edited:

Munsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Moaners! That there's no cure for diabetes.
Anything which doesn't either involve a blood sample or a sensor stuck to your arm gets a thumbs up from me Let's be hopeful about a positive outcome around the trials

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
**IF** it is real, it will be hugely disruptive. Looking at the company behind it, they seem to do a lot with biometric data mining, so their Ts and Cs will need careful review.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
**IF** it is real, it will be hugely disruptive. Looking at the company behind it, they seem to do a lot with biometric data mining, so their Ts and Cs will need careful review.
Very good point, this is where immense value is. Imagine selling this data to Apple, Microsoft, Google or Pharma.

spideog

Not waiting that long for a test result. Switching back from the Libre to blood tests would be better and less hassle.

Munsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Moaners! That there's no cure for diabetes.
Not convinced about Libre! Great for indicating direction only.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Have you had a poor experience? I have been using one since May. Really helpful. I find (and I have done a lot of testing) that it is pretty close to my BG meters. I did another post where I posted my Libre scan, my Libre BG meter, a different Libre BG meter (a NEO I think) and a SD Code free and they were all pretty close. And that was closer than with test solution applied to each. Not perfect I admit but on a blood meter this morning I got 5.9 then 6.9 so they are not perfect either.

Back on topic - this is amazing technology. Perhaps they have cracked UV, or IR or sound or something. But even if it could do BG - how on earth can it do insulin - are there any insulin meters on the market? So I guess I am siding with the unlikely camp.

spideog

If you are doubtful regarding Libre results then you should really also be doubtful regarding the numbers that your BG meter shows you as well. They both meet the same standards regarding accuracy equally well/ badly.

Old_Dave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tried a Libre and I also got poor results in one case it read nearly three marks more than what its own test strip gave. Nice idea but must try harder - much harder!