Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

kimlala

Hi @Mick64, similar situation with doctor telling me not to test or worry with diet. However, in my situation it made a huge difference, as doctor made the wrong diagnosis (testing helped prove this). I hope all goes well and you get some answers soon, I know how scary it is not knowing. :)

Reactions: dbr10
P

pollensa

Yes, I was told testing is unnecessary for type 2's not on insulin by my nurse.

I have read recently, that America and New Zealand take the same approach, and addressing and asking the question, IS FINGER TESTING REALLY NECESSARY,as it is becoming clear that putting it all into perspective, whether one tests fingers once or 12 times a day, the question remains, is this really necessary, what can you do if your test shows slightly higher or lower, NOTHING, you have a disappointment, or your happy, if one is eating low carb, exercising and taking care, that is by far the better tonic than finger testing daily, as you know you are doing the best possible, the result finger testing, trauma,time, expense, possibly is doing more damage mentally for a Type2 Pre Diabetic or Diabetic, nothing one can do, if you check your finger after eating lunch and its high, lets take facts clear, non diabetic peoples sugar goes up and down like a yo yo daily.

Having the worry of results of finger tests daily you may go to your doctor and say your higher after lunch, he may say exercise more, at the end of the day, by testing fingers so many times daily can in my opinion only cause, anxiety, stress, frustration is it worth it, to perhaps cause more health issues, problems by unnecessary worry.

Testing daily, will give you a reading, but whatever that reading is, what are you going to do about it that day anyway, it wont change the reading, yet one hour later the reading may be perfect normal, and one has worried unnecessarily at the end of the day.

The Diabetes world has to take a more pragmatic view sensible approach, not to say, how much monies one spends on stripes, lancets, for what to make one worry.

The Diabetes world is a big business and its normal the public are pushed to check daily, and many who have this disease, should try and see Diabetes from both sides.

I agree with the nurse one hundred percent.

Jenny

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read recently, that America and New Zealand take the same approach, and addressing and asking the question, IS FINGER TESTING REALLY NECESSARY,as it is becoming clear that putting it all into perspective, whether one tests fingers once or 12 times a day, the question remains, is this really necessary, what can you do if your test shows slightly higher or lower, NOTHING, you have a disappointment, or your happy, if one is eating low carb, exercising and taking care, that is by far the better tonic than finger testing daily, as you know you are doing the best possible, the result finger testing, trauma,time, expense, possibly is doing more damage mentally for a Type2 Pre Diabetic or Diabetic, nothing one can do, if you check your finger after eating lunch and its high, lets take facts clear, non diabetic peoples sugar goes up and down like a yo yo daily.

Having the worry of results of finger tests daily you may go to your doctor and say your higher after lunch, he may say exercise more, at the end of the day, by testing fingers so many times daily can in my opinion only cause, anxiety, stress, frustration is it worth it, to perhaps cause more health issues, problems by unnecessary worry.

Testing daily, will give you a reading, but whatever that reading is, what are you going to do about it that day anyway, it wont change the reading, yet one hour later the reading may be perfect normal, and one has worried unnecessarily at the end of the day.

The Diabetes world has to take a more pragmatic view sensible approach, not to say, how much monies one spends on stripes, lancets, for what to make one worry.

The Diabetes world is a big business and its normal the public are pushed to check daily, and many who have this disease, should try and see Diabetes from both sides.

Jenny
I do not test every day but, whilst I agree there is nothing you can do about something that you have already eaten, testing is a useful tool to gage your reaction to certain foods and gives you the ability to adapt your diet to what you can eat so, depending on whether you are high, normal or low, you can decide whether to eat that particular food again.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't understand the reasoning that testing is unnecessary. I am an engineer, so I have taken courses in control theory and operations research.
Now if the desired outcome is to have the fasting blood glucose under 5.5 mmol/l and to start to take corrective action when is over 7.2 mmol/l, how do you know that the levels are out of range without testing?
It's the same thing about weight control. How one knows that isn't putting up fat without weighing himself, or the blood pressure.
On the other hand it's possible to reduce the number of test to a pattern and increase or decrease the number of test following the compliance to the expected outcome.

I don't understand the problem of anxiety or mental damage, because if BG levels are fluctuating out of the desired range hiding the problem doesn't solve anything and if corrective actions aren't taken the damages in future may be uncorrectable and way more destabilizing on mental health than a jumping measure. It's kile to say, don't check the resistance of the just cured concrete and wait the bridge collapsing because there was too much water in the concrete mix...

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have gone through the many comments here and although my nurse has said the same thing as most comments how would I know if I was OK to drive, it might be that I'm just tired. I drive from Surrey to Wiltshire and Devon to visit Family. There is advice at DVLA regarding diabetes, I need to know if I'm safe to drive.
Self testing has been a tool to help me identify foods that are good or bad for me. I would never have known that fish will have a zero effect on my BG levels so my diet includes more fish and pizza is out as it gives me a whopping 12mmol. I didn't guess that lettuce could make me go high and lactose free milk gave me a 22 I thought it was the right choice so full fat milk it is and gold top.
Self testing is a tool to use to understand what's goin on.

MissConStru

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't read all of this thread but it would seem the medical fraternity is pretty much against us doing our own testing. My GP/diabetes nurse are both pretty neutral about it but want patients to use the meter of their choice. I've always used my own choice which is OneTouch Verio which I prefer of all the meters I've tried as the cell for the blood on the testing strip is very tiny and takes up a minute amount of blood just like a laboratory tube! However, they won't provide me with testing strips so I have to buy them myself. Hooray Ebay! (Yes, I do make sure they are in date!)

I also like to test on rising every single day. Don't ask me why, I just do! Though if I'm away, on a conference or some-such, I don't bother!

I have an 84 yr old sister that lives in Norfolk who's been T2 for about 20 years and does the same as her GPs (she moved about 8 years ago and found her new GP also refused to supply them) also insist there is no need to test. However, she does hers about 4 times a day, I believe.
I really couldn't be bothered to do that!
yawn.gif

Personally, we just do like to keep tabs on our BG and since it's our bodies, why can't we!

frankbegbie

Jenny

I agree.

I'm new to being told I have Diabetis 2.

Apart from the first 3/4 days after I got the kit I haven't tested.

I'll probably stick to 2 /3 times a week, if that.

mallins

Totally Disgusted

I have just moved house from Northamptonshire to Exeter so when I requested my repeat prescription at my new surgery I was told that they did not give type 2 diabetics test strips and needles as type 2 diabetics do not need to test. When I explained that I received them at my old surgery I just got told that the new surgery did not provide them. I would think it is in their interest for me to take control of my health so I do not cost them money by needing more medication or perhaps even hospital admissions. I feel this is a totally false economic decision to refuse test equipment. Also why can one surgery provide the medication and not another surely this should be an all or nothing policy enforced by the NHS and not a post code lottery.

Now I have to ask the question where do people who have to pay for their equipment get the best deals?

Cheers

Mallins

Reactions: dbr10 and keitjones

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.
I was told I didn't need to test. They gave in and gave me a meter. But I have to buy test strips and lances. No prescription possible. I agree it's a scandal.

Reactions: dbr10

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't understand the reasoning that testing is unnecessary. I am an engineer, so I have taken courses in control theory and operations research.
Now if the desired outcome is to have the fasting blood glucose under 5.5 mmol/l and to start to take corrective action when is over 7.2 mmol/l, how do you know that the levels are out of range without testing?
It's the same thing about weight control. How one knows that isn't putting up fat without weighing himself, or the blood pressure.
On the other hand it's possible to reduce the number of test to a pattern and increase or decrease the number of test following the compliance to the expected outcome.

I don't understand the problem of anxiety or mental damage, because if BG levels are fluctuating out of the desired range hiding the problem doesn't solve anything and if corrective actions aren't taken the damages in future may be uncorrectable and way more destabilizing on mental health than a jumping measure. It's kile to say, don't check the resistance of the just cured concrete and wait the bridge collapsing because there was too much water in the concrete mix...
I am an engineer too. A famous quote by Lord Kelvin " if you can't measure it you can't improve it!"

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Totally Disgusted

I have just moved house from Northamptonshire to Exeter so when I requested my repeat prescription at my new surgery I was told that they did not give type 2 diabetics test strips and needles as type 2 diabetics do not need to test. When I explained that I received them at my old surgery I just got told that the new surgery did not provide them. I would think it is in their interest for me to take control of my health so I do not cost them money by needing more medication or perhaps even hospital admissions. I feel this is a totally false economic decision to refuse test equipment. Also why can one surgery provide the medication and not another surely this should be an all or nothing policy enforced by the NHS and not a post code lottery.

Now I have to ask the question where do people who have to pay for their equipment get the best deals?

Cheers

Mallins
Say what?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally Disgusted

Cheers

Mallins

The popular ones on here are the Codefree and the Tee2 because they have the cheapest strips available. They aren't available in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk and don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
@mallins I will ask @AM1874 to give you details of the meter and strips deals popular on the forum
Hi @mallins ..
The details of meters posted above by @Bluetit1802 are the same that I would have given you .. but just to add that the TEE2 is free. I have both which I alternate for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them.

The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on the cost of your meter or strips.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £38.45
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £76.90
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. there are no discounts currently available for bulk buys
I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages

Hope this helps

mallins

@mallins I will ask @AM1874 to give you details of the meter and strips deals popular on the forum
Hi @mallins ..
The details of meters posted above by @Bluetit1802 are the same that I would have given you .. but just to add that the TEE2 is free. I have both which I alternate for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them.

The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on the cost of your meter or strips.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £38.45
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £76.90
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. there are no discounts currently available for bulk buys
I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages

Hope this helps

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Just found this campaign. Appologies if it was posted before. https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_involved/Campaigning/Test-strip-campaigning/
Hi @keitjones ..
Well good luck with that ..
The bottom line is that the NICE guidelines on self-testing are confusing to say the least .. and, in my opinion, open to interpretation. The details are at ..
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#self-monitoring-of-blood-glucose
particularly paras 1.6.12 to 1.6.16