Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi there. There is a Fasting forum in the Food and Nutrition section here, just scroll down the list of forums in the Forum Menu and you will find lots of people who practise intermittent fasting.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Google Dr Jason Fung he has a lot of videos on Intermittent Fasting.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Has anyone ever heard of this fasting
Hello fikile M57,
You might like to start with the article on 5:2 fasting on this website. This is very popular and many people follow this way of eating. There are others and its a matter of finding a method that suits you.

Reactions: fikileM57

fikileM57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank u so much for the info..i have learnt a lot .i also want to start fasting. Its better now coz the schools are closed n im home, so it will be easy for me to mornitor it while im home...thank u so much...this forum is a blessing for me

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank u so much for the info..i have learnt a lot .i also want to start fasting. Its better now coz the schools are closed n im home, so it will be easy for me to mornitor it while im home...thank u so much...this forum is a blessing for me
I would suggest starting with just not having anything solid for breakfast.. just whatever you usually drink first thing in the morning (without sugar or sweeteners of course). Then slowly build up the length of your non-eating period. I found breakfast the easiest meal to skip.
Have you started low carbing yet? If so you'll find it easier to maintain a fast as you aren't hungry so much. I have a coffee with double cream around 12 noon every day which often replaces lunch for me.

Reactions: Robbity

fikileM57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its my 7th day today on the intemettent fasting..its fantastiv, i never knew i could skip breafast . Now i eat only two meals a day, all my meals are lchf, i have noticed that i have lost a bit of weight....so good

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have found that skipping breakfast and lunch and doing a 15 to 20 miles walk has helped with loosing a bit of weight etc, lchf on its own did not result in weight lose, but did give good BG control.

MRSROK

I find this fascinating as I am starving in the morning!! I couldn't contemplate missing breakfast. I need my eggs!!

Or is this a sign my BS are still too high? My BS are still above 12 mmol/l in the morning.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find this fascinating as I am starving in the morning!! I couldn't contemplate missing breakfast. I need my eggs!!

Or is this a sign my BS are still too high? My BS are still above 12 mmol/l in the morning.
Yes that is pretty high.. what way of eating are you currently following?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It's not mandatory for breakfast to be the missed meal. I'm always hungry in the morning - I eat large meals for breakfast and lunch and then usually don't eat again until the next morning. If I feel hungry, I'll snack on cheese or nuts late afternoon. I try to have at least a 13 hour overnight fast - up to 18 hours on 2 meal only days.

Yes, your BG is still very high - but you're only recently diagnosed, aren't you? Give yourself some time to adapt your diet and lose weight (if you need to), before worrying too much. It all takes time.

But if I'd known 5 years ago what I know now, I'd have adopted intermittent fasting a lot earlier than I did. My BG is now the best it's been since diagnosis.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I started off removing as many carbs as possible from all my meals, my breakfast become eggs with cheese etc. (No bread etc). I then found after a week or so my BG started to go down a lot (17 to 8) and that I was not starving in the morning, so I started to have breakfast later and to skip it some days. My BG went down even more and my body did not object if I skipped lunch as well as breakfast on some days. (I decided that controlling BG was my aim not losing weight, so eat as much as I wanted provided it was not carbs. I am now losing weight as well without trying hard.)

When we don’t allow our bodies to run on carbs they first use up the stored sugar and then start to learn how to burn fat, in a fast this process takes about 3 days, when doing “low carb” it takes longer due to the protein and that most food contains a little carbs. Most people find that once their bodies are “running on fat” they don’t feel starving when they skip a meal.

Remember that most of us have enough “in built” fat, not to need to add a lot of fat to our food for the next few months, we just need to remove most of the carbs and not have too much protein.

If you have the will power a 3 day fast when you just drink water would be a great way to kick start this, otherwise take it slowly by removing carbs from meals.

Reactions: MRSROK

MRSROK

It's not mandatory for breakfast to be the missed meal. I'm always hungry in the morning - I eat large meals for breakfast and lunch and then usually don't eat again until the next morning. If I feel hungry, I'll snack on cheese or nuts late afternoon. I try to have at least a 13 hour overnight fast - up to 18 hours on 2 meal only days.

Yes, your BG is still very high - but you're only recently diagnosed, aren't you? Give yourself some time to adapt your diet and lose weight (if you need to), before worrying too much. It all takes time.

But if I'd known 5 years ago what I know now, I'd have adopted intermittent fasting a lot earlier than I did. My BG is now the best it's been since diagnosis.

NO! I can't lose weight!! I'm only 42kgs and 5 foot 2! lol lol

MRSROK

Yes that is pretty high.. what way of eating are you currently following?

I am only a week diagnosed so still working out what the hell I'm doing! lol

I would basically say I am LCHF and I have just eliminated all carbs in the morning and only have 1 slice of bread at lunch because I have cut everything else (pasta, potato, some veg, most fruits and all sugar products).

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NO! I can't lose weight!! I'm only 42kgs and 5 foot 2! lol lol
Intermittent Fasting doesn't necessarily equate to weight loss if you're eating enough calories. It hasn't made me lose weight. I wish it would, lol. The advantage is in metabolic health, BG control and minimising insulin spikes.

Reactions: MRSROK

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am only a week diagnosed so still working out what the hell I'm doing! lol

I would basically say I am LCHF and I have just eliminated all carbs in the morning and only have 1 slice of bread at lunch because I have cut everything else (pasta, potato, some veg, most fruits and all sugar products).
Sounds good (although I'd ditch the bread.. it just makes you hungry and want more) Just have double the fillings without the bread instead. Fill up on fat, so maybe use cheese slices as bread.