Janr20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needlephobia giving insulin
Hi all

Need your help I have a longhaul flight from Nz to South America in 5 months time. I use Lantus @2130 daily and NovoRapid evening meal complicated by short term memory loss.

Last time I went to Morocco via Dubai I struggled with working out what doses of insulins for both to give on way there and way home. I usually travel on night flights .

It was my first time travelling with insulin overseas. I took 2 frio packs which worked well. But there was nowhere to dispose of my needles in Morocco or Spain. I carried all the usual letters.

I'm not good with calculating time zones, need my instructions written down by GP

Any suggestions @leslie10152 quick hints what to do what not to do to make it easier for me this time to South America.

Alberti

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes & Ex wife
Hi all

Need your help I have a longhaul flight from Nz to South America in 5 months time. I use Lantus @2130 daily and NovoRapid evening meal complicated by short term memory loss.

Last time I went to Morocco via Dubai I struggled with working out what doses of insulins for both to give on way there and way home. I usually travel on night flights .

It was my first time travelling with insulin overseas. I took 2 frio packs which worked well. But there was nowhere to dispose of my needles in Morocco or Spain. I carried all the usual letters.

I'm not good with calculating time zones, need my instructions written down by GP

Any suggestions @leslie10152 quick hints what to do what not to do to make it easier for me this time to South America.
Hi all

Hi all

Hi
Been Type 1 since 3 years ago. Before that travelled the world and I still do. Now in Indonesia. Flying Long Haul between Finland and Singapore at least twice a year. 12 hours night flight. Have my insulin in Frio bags and they work fine. Also have always some kind of own Lunchbox with me. Normally I take my Lantus at 9 pm. A few days before flight take my lantus each day an hour earlier. On departure date it will be then at 5 pm in Finland. This is Singapore time 11 pm. After arrival in Singapore again 3 days an hour earlier insuline intake and back to normal routine of lantus at 9pm. This is a flight from west to east. I change this routine otherway round when returning. Work fine for me,never had problems

Reactions: Janr20

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Buy a needle clipper from a chemist,they're cheap

jonjaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid doctors
I use a small plastic sharps bin from Amazon no problems with the airlines on my last 2 trips from UK to Singapore and UK to Shanghai Frio cool bag for the insulin pens. I also forget stuff so each night I put 2 needles in with my BS tester as I take insulin twice a day I know if there is 1 left I need to take insulin. Test first sometimes my BS has been low on long haul flights so I either take a smaller dose or skip it completely.