1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Traveling Longhaul with Insulin

Discussion in 'Type 2 with Insulin' started by Janr20, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Janr20

Janr20 Type 2 · Active Member

Hi all

Need your help I have a longhaul flight from Nz to South America in 5 months time. I use Lantus @2130 daily and NovoRapid evening meal complicated by short term memory loss.

Last time I went to Morocco via Dubai I struggled with working out what doses of insulins for both to give on way there and way home. I usually travel on night flights .

It was my first time travelling with insulin overseas. I took 2 frio packs which worked well. But there was nowhere to dispose of my needles in Morocco or Spain. I carried all the usual letters.

I'm not good with calculating time zones, need my instructions written down by GP

Any suggestions @leslie10152 quick hints what to do what not to do to make it easier for me this time to South America.

2. Alberti

Alberti Type 1 · Active Member

Hi
    Been Type 1 since 3 years ago. Before that travelled the world and I still do. Now in Indonesia. Flying Long Haul between Finland and Singapore at least twice a year. 12 hours night flight. Have my insulin in Frio bags and they work fine. Also have always some kind of own Lunchbox with me. Normally I take my Lantus at 9 pm. A few days before flight take my lantus each day an hour earlier. On departure date it will be then at 5 pm in Finland. This is Singapore time 11 pm. After arrival in Singapore again 3 days an hour earlier insuline intake and back to normal routine of lantus at 9pm. This is a flight from west to east. I change this routine otherway round when returning. Work fine for me,never had problems

• Like Like x 1
  3. PaulAshby

PaulAshby Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Buy a needle clipper from a chemist,they're cheap

4. PaulAshby

PaulAshby Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Or carry them home with you Jan

• Like Like x 1
  5. jonjaz

jonjaz Type 2 · Member

I use a small plastic sharps bin from Amazon no problems with the airlines on my last 2 trips from UK to Singapore and UK to Shanghai Frio cool bag for the insulin pens. I also forget stuff so each night I put 2 needles in with my BS tester as I take insulin twice a day I know if there is 1 left I need to take insulin. Test first sometimes my BS has been low on long haul flights so I either take a smaller dose or skip it completely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook