Diabetes is not a Disease

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@michaela2015 - The more time goes on, and the more I understand about diabetes, the more I understand that nothing is straightforward about it, for so many caught into it's web.

Undoubtedly, it would be foolhardy of of me to say that no T2 is influenced by lifestyle choices, but there are also some for whom one too many courses of steroids tipped the balance into T2, or PCOS, or so many other conditions or reasons. I find it best if I don't prejudge the whys or wherefores of people's predicaments.

I appreciate that the drudgery and ever present routine of testing and injecting must get you down, but for T2 there can be different, but just as day to day challenges in maintaining their conditions.

Just as a complete aside, your profile says you are T1, but are on oral medication, in particular Metformin? Is that correct? If not, if you would like to change it you can so via your Account settings.

Reactions: Salvia

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Actualy I tend to agree those of us lucky enough to catch their T2 early can kick it back a notch.

For example I just had Indian food nearly 1 hour out but 30 minutes from stopping eating?? I was reading 7.7 I decided to go for a 30 - 40 minute walk and when I came back my readings were 4.8

I find that if I have a carb heavy meal as long as I go for a 30 - 40 minute walk straight after I dont get the rise for that long. If I sit on my behind all day then it takes around 2 - 3 hours to get below 6.

So its now becomming a routine to eat slightly higher carbs than the 100g per day but as long as I counter it with a walk or some excercise immediately afterward. Heck I even had a late meal at 11pm and still went for a 30 minute walk in the dark.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I would suggest then you have type 1, i think more research needs to be done on all the type 1 and type 2, having to inject insulin 5/6 times a day and finger prick almost every hour isnt great, but there is a line between the two, i am sorry but thats how it looks to me, i dont intend to offend im just fed up with all the injecting, all the finger pricking, all the highs and the awful lows and all the blooming carb counting.

You sound totally fed up. Depression can hit anybody, but I must echo what others have said - and please stop making blanket judgements. There ARE slim type 2's, there are people who have developed type 2 due to another condition, my daughter is one of the latter. She has a rare syndrome, plus learning difficulties, and had to cope with doing her injections and take the shed load of other meds she has to take.
Some people are triggered by corticosteroids. Please keep an open mind, and not one closed by prejudice.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For diabetes related to insulin resistance an healthy lifestyle will mask the symptoms because if one isn't say a blood donor like me doesn't make a FBG test every six months.
So most type 2 will have the condition unnoticed. In some cases when one is concerned with borderline FBG results is dismissed by their GP.
I am really sorry when diabetes misinformation is arrived to people with diabetes like you. Especially for their lifes, because if one has the idea that T2 is caused by lifestyle alone like eating too much cakes and make no exercises, and anyway if people is left in the dark how do they have the correct lifestyle?

Not to mention that the Eatwell plate and the advertising of diet/low fat/healthy products is in my opinion is a bad dieting advice that causes diabetes or obesity.

Iall the blooming carb counting.
I have T2 and count the carbs (ant the fats and the proteins an the calories) too.

Because I don't want to have to inject 4 times because I know it sucks - nobody told me to do it.
Or what kind of physical activity is the best...

(editet because I made a mess on the mobile).

Last edited:

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello there.
For me personal. I have give up the tablet from my GP.
Because I make a lot of research and find out that it is possible to control my T2 by just exercise and diet.
SO FINALLY I GIVE IT A TRY. To see if it work.
And it actually does.
I control my diet and exercise every day. I said NO for sugar and starchy thing. I know that foods in those category are very hard to forget. But for my health condition. I should give it up. And I have try a lot of new thing to replace the old one. And I monitor my BG once I eat something wrong. To see if it can spike my BG. So blessed. For those who can exercise, try to this method to see if you can control it.

Me I'm just 19 yo. So once in the while, I feel very stress and exhausted of taking a dose of metformin or Sth. So I give up.
#blessed #i_love_it

Reactions: zand

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Having seen a leading oncologist interested in patients helping themselves. It was interesting to hear that his thoughts were that foods were causing insulin resistance which triggers diabetes AND. cancer and they are links by also having not good gut flora, eating cereal and bread and high carbs for breakfast after our bodies fasting at night and fuelling it all.

He also believes that alot more will come from epigenetics in the future.

Also that altering our lifestyles is hugely important not just for diabetes but cancer and other diseases...

So although there is no blame to be directly laid upon an individual for diseases that are becoming so prevalent the carcinogens, processed foods, alchohol produced solely by humans is creating them.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having seen a leading oncologist interested in patients helping themselves. It was interesting to hear that his thoughts were that foods were causing insulin resistance which triggers diabetes AND. cancer and they are links by also having not good gut flora, eating cereal and bread and high carbs for breakfast after our bodies fasting at night and fuelling it all.

Also that altering our lifestyles is hugely important not just for diabetes but cancer and other diseases...

So although there is no blame to be directly laid upon an individual for diseases that are becoming so prevalent the carcinogens, processed foods, alchohol produced solely by humans is creating them.

I find this so scary. It hurts that my GP scoffed when I said I thought I had insulin resistance. I come from a 'cancer family'. I could have helped myself years ago if only I had known. I changed my diet to a worse one swapping fatty foods for wholemeal carbs thanks to official advice. I suppose that's why I get so upset when people blame T2's for their condition.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Regarding food and buying...

Some people (like me) have very limited eating. I withdrew from supermarkets, and could not face online shopping either.
My hubby did it all. Gradually I can now go with him to a supermarket because I realised that even though I look at all the things I cant eat... those thoughts are gone within 5 seconds. By the time we've walked to a counter with brocolli I have forgotten the cake and bread or meat counters.

Our thoughts with food that isnt good can be distracted by anything if you realise that those thoughts wont stay for long. Mines 3-5 seconds. Once out of supermarket I dont think of the foods I cant eat at all.

The worst time is queues and watching conveyor belts of other peoples shopping. I make sure I get a magazine and read it or my hubby distracts me (I know he is intentionally doing it).

The world is a tough place to live with but change to helpselves and also less stress and angst is important to recovery and living!!

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Regarding food and buying...

Some people (like me) have very limited eating. I withdrew from supermarkets, and could not face online shopping either.
My hubby did it all. Gradually I can now go with him to a supermarket because I realised that even though I look at all the things I cant eat... those thoughts are gone within 5 seconds. By the time we've walked to a counter with brocolli I have forgotten the cake and bread or meat counters.

Our thoughts with food that isnt good can be distracted by anything if you realise that those thoughts wont stay for long. Mines 3-5 seconds. Once out of supermarket I dont think of the foods I cant eat at all.

The worst time is queues and watching conveyor belts of other peoples shopping. I make sure I get a magazine and read it or my hubby distracts me (I know he is intentionally doing it).

The world is a tough place to live with but change to helpselves and also less stress and angst is important to recovery and living!!

I definitely agree with you.
Me, when I went to supermarket, or any place where I can eat. I always think first, who I am, what I have? (T2 right?).
So eat right for yourself.

But :) sometimes, I just forget it and enjoy the moment of life.
#sorry_for_T2

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I get the impression that these are his thoughts and opinions. He may well be proven right in this, but I am awaiing further supportive evidence before I jump on this particular bandwagon.

Reactions: donnellysdogs