Jamesy Boy's Newcastle Diet

Jamesy_Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
New castle diet ( this is just brief at the moment guys i will try and upload some pics and an actuall progress chart of my weight and blood glucose when i get chance i just havent collated all info onto the computer yet )

After reading about the study at Newcastle university and its amazing results in people with type 2 diabetes I was prepared to give this grueling diet a try.

The concept of the diet is to restrict calorie intake to 800 calories a day for 8 weeks ( mimicking the affects of gastric bypass surgery)

The recommended daily intake of food/calories was 3 meal replacement shakes ( 200 calories each ) and 250g non starchy vegetables (making up the remaining 200 calories) a day. along side this ive been taing some supplements in the form on a multi vitamin, glucosamine and cod liver oil.
20170715_155802.jpg

I have been using the Asda’s own Great Shape shakes I buy these buy the box ( 10 sachets £4 –as of july 2017) there is only 3 flavours chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. I prepare them with water as a stipulation of the Newcastle Diet stated no dairy.
20170715_223509.jpg

I have also been having salads, soups, curried veg and stir fried veg

Due to saving on a few calories not preparing the shakes with milk I have also been having small 4 calorie jelly pots, instant cup Bovril, 10ml servings of dressings on my salads. As well as veg ‘snack packs’ carrot batons, pepper slices, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks ect
20170715_223540.jpg
20170715_223607.jpg

20170715_223643_001.jpg
20170715_224007.jpg

The study encourages 3-4 litres of water to be consumed a day to help with hydration and to stave off hunger. which i have been managing to uphoold.

I made some charts to monitor progress and also recipe sheets as when I started the diet I was suffering with brain fog a lot. The sheets were to monitor weight ( which I have been checking daily) and a weekly measurement of my torso. I have also made a chart to monitor my blood glucose level which I am currently doing twice a day once first thing in a morning for a fasted blood glucose reading and another during the day normally 90 minutes to 2 hours after eating.

i am happy to say at the time of writing this i am 11? days in and have seen a dramatic weight loss as well as a low blood glucose readings after the first couple of days.

Last edited:

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on your results thus far @Jamesy_Boy There are quite a few folks here who have done the ND (and some more than once!)
Do formulate a maintenance plan for the end of 8 weeks, as many report undoing all the good work without.
Please post your numbers here periodically, motivational for you - and us!

Jamesy_Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK people time for some progress

@sarah_chadwick @walnut_face @Liam1955 @ringi
@Daibell @daisy1 @keitjones @Robinredbreast
@hca @Contralto @zand

Newcastle Diet 6th July 2017 - Fasted blood glucose 8.9mmol weight 100.3kg (taking 2x 500mg Metformin a day)
i had previously agreed with my diabetic nurse to cease my Metformin as my latest HBA1c test was showing low numbers and with taking on a diet that restricted carbs she and i agreed we wouldn't expect a spike in blood sugars.

Day 1 Fasted blood glucose (FG) 7.3 , after evening meal glucose (EMG) 5.1, weight (W) 100.3
Day 2 FG=5.8 EMG=forgot to take reading :S W=99.2kg
Day 3 FG=5.0 EMG=5.1 W=98.3kg
Day 4 FG=4.8 EMG=4.5 W=97.8kg
Day 5 FG=4.3 EMG=5.0 W=96.7kg
Day 6 FG=4.3 EMG=5.1 W=96.3kg
Day 7 FG=4.4 EMG=5.6 W=96.1kg
Day 8 FG=4.6 EMG=5.2 W=95.9kg
Day 9 FG=4.3 EMG=4.3 W=95.9kg
Day 10 FG=3.7 EMG=forgot reading W=95.3kg
Day 11 FG=4.0 EMG=forgot reading W=94.8kg
Day 12 FG=4.3 EMG=5.0 W=94.5kg
Day 13 FG=4.5 EMG=forgot reading W=94.3kg
Day 14 FG=4.6 EMG=5.2 W=94.3KG
DAY 15 FG=4.3 EMG= W=93.3KG
Day 16 FG=4.1 EMG=6.0 W=93.8KG

Last edited:

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that your weight can change by as much as 1kg based on how much water you drink and when you go to the WC. Therefore it may be better to look at the average of the last few days.

Jamesy_Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks ringi, Im not really fussed on what the number is aslong as its coming down, my torso measurements are changing which is a good thing. And im more impressed with the low blood glucose levels ( i suppose not too suprising considering the low carb intake )

Jamesy_Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my point exactly ringi, im sorry the way i phrased that didnt sound right 'not that fussed' all im getting at is that i also dont feel weight is a good representation of health.

Reactions: Liam1955

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks ringi, Im not really fussed on what the number is aslong as its coming down, my torso measurements are changing which is a good thing. And im more impressed with the low blood glucose levels ( i suppose not too suprising considering the low carb intake )

You are doing brilliantly @Jamesy_Boy - keep going! Keep posting please I am really interested in your results.

amathyst

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
New castle diet ( this is just brief at the moment guys i will try and upload some pics and an actuall progress chart of my weight and blood glucose when i get chance i just havent collated all info onto the computer yet )

After reading about the study at Newcastle university and its amazing results in people with type 2 diabetes I was prepared to give this grueling diet a try.

The concept of the diet is to restrict calorie intake to 800 calories a day for 8 weeks ( mimicking the affects of gastric bypass surgery)

The recommended daily intake of food/calories was 3 meal replacement shakes ( 200 calories each ) and 250g non starchy vegetables (making up the remaining 200 calories) a day. along side this ive been taing some supplements in the form on a multi vitamin, glucosamine and cod liver oil.
View attachment 23397

I have been using the Asda’s own Great Shape shakes I buy these buy the box ( 10 sachets £4 –as of july 2017) there is only 3 flavours chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. I prepare them with water as a stipulation of the Newcastle Diet stated no dairy.
View attachment 23402

I have also been having salads, soups, curried veg and stir fried veg

Due to saving on a few calories not preparing the shakes with milk I have also been having small 4 calorie jelly pots, instant cup Bovril, 10ml servings of dressings on my salads. As well as veg ‘snack packs’ carrot batons, pepper slices, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks ect
View attachment 23398 View attachment 23399
View attachment 23400 View attachment 23401

The study encourages 3-4 litres of water to be consumed a day to help with hydration and to stave off hunger. which i have been managing to uphoold.

I made some charts to monitor progress and also recipe sheets as when I started the diet I was suffering with brain fog a lot. The sheets were to monitor weight ( which I have been checking daily) and a weekly measurement of my torso. I have also made a chart to monitor my blood glucose level which I am currently doing twice a day once first thing in a morning for a fasted blood glucose reading and another during the day normally 90 minutes to 2 hours after eating.

i am happy to say at the time of writing this i am 11? days in and have seen a dramatic weight loss as well as a low blood glucose readings after the first couple of days.

Well done @jamesy-boy, I'm just starting out and feeling motivated by your posts and photos

Reactions: ziggy_w

Jamesy_Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good man keep it up! Ive this week made 2 batches of soup that are deffinately more filling than the salads Ive been having, Il post recipes later

curried carrot.jpg

roast red pepper.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: zand and ziggy_w

Jamesy_Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
really let myself down tonight guys, suffered with hunger pangs all day ( really uncomfortable ) and no amount of drinking water or eating veg seemed to take my mind off of food. so i caved and ordered takeout :( i had kebab with salad and didnt touch the pitta monitored my bloods and they didnt go above 5.5 for first hour and 4.4 after 2 hours. so heres to calling that a one night blow out and on with the newcastle diet 2moro

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
really let myself down tonight guys, suffered with hunger pangs all day ( really uncomfortable ) and no amount of drinking water or eating veg seemed to take my mind off of food. so i caved and ordered takeout :( i had kebab with salad and didnt touch the pitta monitored my bloods and they didnt go above 5.5 for first hour and 4.4 after 2 hours. so heres to calling that a one night blow out and on with the newcastle diet 2moro

@Jamesy_Boy keep going - every day must help. What day number were you at? The first few weeks must be incredibly tough.

Reactions: ringi and ziggy_w

Jamesy_Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes back at it today, around day 18/19 i think apologies due to work ive fallen behind on my numbers in my post. Will update tonight

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes back at it today, around day 18/19 i think apologies due to work ive fallen behind on my numbers in my post. Will update tonight

You know you can do this - break it down into small chunks and micro manage it - one more day down.

Reactions: ziggy_w