Just been diagnosed 25 weeks pregnant

cat1980uk

Hiya. I am 25 weeks pregnant and have just had my GTT this morning. Just had my call from the hospital and I have been told I have gestational diabetes :arghh: I have an appointment tomorrow at maternity with a diabetic midwife and she will talk me through what happens next ie the extra scans, checking my glucose levels, diet, booking me in with consultant, weekly diabetes clinic appointments etc. My fasting glucose test after no food for 8 hours was 6.1 and my results 2 hours after glucose test was 8.9. I am 37 and no history of diabetes and none in my immediate family. To say I am scared is an understatement :(

Angela1

Hi Cat don't be alarmed as stress will only make your levels higher. The same thing happened to me and like you I was scared but I went on to have a text book pregnancy & birth and my son was only 7lb 2oz so not everything they say is nessessarily correct just go with it and try not to worry too much! My gestational diabetes disappeared but type 2 came back to bite me on the bum 3 years ago so 3 years after I had my baby so my best advice would be to be as careful as you can afterwards to ward it off with a good low carb diet and exercise! Good luck with your baby and don't get too caught up in the diabetes and try to enjoy it still you'll be fine! Xx

Reactions: cat1980uk and azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @cat1980uk :)

Good advice above :) Your results aren't dreadful so don't be scared. Look on it as a positive thing. You've been diagnosed so you're going to get extra care and attention from now on during your pregnancy.

Please don't let GD spoil the wonderfulness of pregnancy. All it means is that you have an extra thing to think about, and more checks. Many ladies can control GD through diet alone, and some need meds. But whatever the case, you'll get plenty of support and care from your team :)

Reactions: cat1980uk