Avocado to the rescue!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
recently I've had a problem with one unit of lantus dropping me 25-30 (us) during my sleep. I was going to bed in the high 80's-90's and in the middle of the night testing in the high 50's or 60's.
One night I tried half a hard boiled egg with mayo. No luck. One night a cheese stick. No luck.

Last night before bed I was 75 and scared what would happen so I had a big spoonful of avocado. Slept bad so tested multiple times.
Bed 10:30. 75
1:30 74
3:30 76
6:30 90 and 8:30 94.

This is why I always say it keeps me very steady.

It could be coincidence of course but ill try it again!!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yay to the avocado, @Kristin251 !

If you were a superhero (which by the way you are, around these parts!) I could imagine your thread title to be your slogan, as you swoop down to save the world, shouting 'AVOCADO TO THE RESCUE'!

:happy::happy::happy:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yay to the avocado, @Kristin251 !

If you were a superhero (which by the way you are, around these parts!) I could imagine your thread title to be your slogan, as you swoop down to save the world, shouting 'AVOCADO TO THE RESCUE'!

:happy::happy::happy:
Awe. Thanks @Snapsy!! Means a lot

But seriously !!! How much avocado can a person eat in a day??? It cures all for me. Ridiculous. Haha. Good thing I love it. When I'm 90 I'll probably still be eating it!!
My daughter thrives eating one everyday too. She says if she doesn't have it she starving and low energy. Must be in the genes!!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
recently I've had a problem with one unit of lantus dropping me 25-30 (us) during my sleep. I was going to bed in the high 80's-90's and in the middle of the night testing in the high 50's or 60's.
One night I tried half a hard boiled egg with mayo. No luck. One night a cheese stick. No luck.

Last night before bed I was 75 and scared what would happen so I had a big spoonful of avocado. Slept bad so tested multiple times.
Bed 10:30. 75
1:30 74
3:30 76
6:30 90 and 8:30 94.

This is why I always say it keeps me very steady.

It could be coincidence of course but ill try it again!!
have you tried adjusting the timing of the lantus dose to change the time of the peak of the dose ??
or going without the overnight lantus dose -- I know you are on ultra low dosing generally.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
have you tried adjusting the timing of the lantus dose to change the time of the peak of the dose ??
or going without the overnight lantus dose -- I know you are on ultra low dosing generally.
I did just recently because my fastings were much higher recently. We were eating dinner around 7 and I started taking lantus earlier. Now I've moved dinner to 6:30 ( to be done eating) and lantus 10:30. Fastings came down and not sure why but I started testing during the night.
Doesn' t lantus peak around 6 hours? That's when I was noticing the drop. Around 4:30.
I'm not sure what's going on but will try the avocado again of course. I have tried going without and get a 40-50 point rise. Prior to moving lantus and dinner further apart I wa ps taking three units and still rising. No idea if I was dropping but based on the rise I'd bet not and could have probably used it.

If you could shed some light that would be great !! I hypothesis that lantus was being used on my food as I was probably still digesting at bed which I'd prefer not. I had a thread going and some said a high fat dinner will give them a higher fasting so I lowered fat but of course was hungry. Can't win right? So upped the fat again but kept the space of 4 hours.

Funny as well. Lunch I was 92. My half unit usually takes me up to abloyt 100. Having a hungry day so ate more avocado. Next test 82. What's up with it?? More avocado and I go lower. And past experience says I'll stay lower until dinner.

Help haha

Reactions: Snapsy

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Any excuse will do! ;)
I agree!!! If it works it works.

@Snapsy, glad to hear it. Hope you like them. I have recommended them to many of my clients ho are diabetic or just always hungry and have only had positive feed back. No wonder the prices have jacked up!! I need to shut my mouth!!!!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree!!! If it works it works.

@Snapsy, glad to hear it. Hope you like them. I have recommended them to many of my clients ho are diabetic or just always hungry and have only had positive feed back. No wonder the prices have jacked up!! I need to shut my mouth!!!!
Oh I love them and sometimes have half in my lunchtime salad - it's just I haven't bought any for a while - you've reminded me that they're not only delicious but also diabetically useful!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I did just recently because my fastings were much higher recently. We were eating dinner around 7 and I started taking lantus earlier. Now I've moved dinner to 6:30 ( to be done eating) and lantus 10:30. Fastings came down and not sure why but I started testing during the night.
Doesn' t lantus peak around 6 hours? That's when I was noticing the drop. Around 4:30.
I'm not sure what's going on but will try the avocado again of course. I have tried going without and get a 40-50 point rise. Prior to moving lantus and dinner further apart I wa ps taking three units and still rising. No idea if I was dropping but based on the rise I'd bet not and could have probably used it.

If you could shed some light that would be great !! I hypothesis that lantus was being used on my food as I was probably still digesting at bed which I'd prefer not. I had a thread going and some said a high fat dinner will give them a higher fasting so I lowered fat but of course was hungry. Can't win right? So upped the fat again but kept the space of 4 hours.

Funny as well. Lunch I was 92. My half unit usually takes me up to abloyt 100. Having a hungry day so ate more avocado. Next test 82. What's up with it?? More avocado and I go lower. And past experience says I'll stay lower until dinner.

Help haha
you are obviously cool with adjusting timing of doses -- have you tried moving lantus to the morning ??
or bringing it forward to around 5pm ??

just thoughts -- only you can be you -- !!!!

I used to take my lantus at 6:30pm -- I did get some night time hypos !!

Reactions: Kristin251

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
you are obviously cool with adjusting timing of doses -- have you tried moving lantus to the morning ??
or bringing it forward to around 5pm ??

just thoughts -- only you can be you -- !!!!

I used to take my lantus at 6:30pm -- I did get some night time hypos !!
I have tried lantus in the morning and hypo' d all day. Had to keep eating.
When I was first put on insulin it was lantus only and I took it at 6:30 pm. They wanted me to take 5 units and raise my bs to 200 before. ( no clue why!) within an hour after eating I was already dropping. 5 units dropped me around 100 ! I have no problem moving it but it does make me feel weird so I do prefer to sleep on it and take it at night.
The good news is avocado did it again as far as I know. Had a spoonful before bed. I was 85. Woke up at 2:30 and I was 88. Fasting 99. I can deal with that. Those drops were much too low.
I can't tell you how many times I have tried to go without it and even with 1/2 unit I'd drop 10-15 and an hour later pop up 10-15 from where I started. Doesn't sound like a lot but it feels terrible. With it I MAYBE move 5 in one direction. I gluconeogenesis like crazy and can't get my protein and insulin to match and avocado bridges those gaps into steady land. Not just any fat will do. Oils, mayo and butter act like water. I'm sure it's the creamy texture and fiber which other fats don't have. I can't do anything like flax, chia etc or I could sell my toilet! Just the thought is killing me haha.

So after that ramble are you thinking take it closer to food or away from food? I think that's the mystery card.
Oh I love them and sometimes have half in my lunchtime salad - it's just I haven't bought any for a while - you've reminded me that they're not only delicious but also diabetically useful!
Worked again!!! Still not scientific of course but those low lows are not good. And then even going to 50's and 60's I'd wake up around or over 100 so it's not only helping the drops but also the spikes.
They are a bit of a hassle but I almost have no choice! And I'm used to nursing them now.
I know if I pop a bad one open it's going to be a bad day haha

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha ! I have an online friend who's 2 year old grandson comes over and literally cries until she gives him avocado. She said when she pick she it out of the bowl his hands shake he's so excited! I have a picture of her feeding him it for the first time and he has a single tear dripping down his face. Precious. It's been my screen savor.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha ! I have an online friend who's 2 year old grandson comes over and literally cries until she gives him avocado. She said when she pick she it out of the bowl his hands shake he's so excited! I have a picture of her feeding him it for the first time and he has a single tear dripping down his face. Precious. It's been my screen savor.

What a gorgeous family scene; there are few greater pleasures than the sheer joy shown by an excited child - that'll be a picture to treasure for ever

Plus, of course, your friend is raising another avocadoholic ....

:)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What a gorgeous family scene; there are few greater pleasures than the sheer joy shown by an excited child - that'll be a picture to treasure for ever

Plus, of course, your friend is raising another avocadoholic ....

:)
Hahaha. Good laugh. She's a junkie too

Reactions: Salvia
D

Deleted member 308541

'AVOCADO TO THE RESCUE'!
This is the next best thing when Avo's are either to expensive or unavailable.

4Mc3gjQ.jpg

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the next best thing when Avo's are either to expensive or unavailable.

4Mc3gjQ.jpg
Omg. You guys have all the best things. !! We are SO far behind you! Think of the artwork you could do. Or just open and squeeze!! And I thought the fruit itself was easy!!
Does it have junk in it? Please say yes so I can rest my jealousy

I'm googling it haha