What should I be looking for on a food label

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is highly likely that pasta and rice will be off your menu for at least the time being. When your meter comes, test these out for yourself and you will see. I don't understand what you mean by "negative foods". Do you mean ones with zero carbs in? If so you are looking mainly at meat and fish, some dairy foods, and not much else. Even lettuce has the odd carb or two.

No I am talking about foods that are "off limit" ie pasta, rice and is there a way of earning "brownie points" and being able have a pasta meal (even just a wee one) once a week/month, I still do not understand the glucose meter system and how it works, hopefully the booklet will tell me more, I am not giving up pasta without a fight!!!!! I was thinking along the diet system ie accumulating some calories and using them later (I know the diabetic system is different its just the idea I am talking about)

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I am talking about foods that are "off limit" ie pasta, rice and is there a way of earning "brownie points" and being able have a pasta meal (even just a wee one) once a week/month, I still do not understand the glucose meter system and how it works, hopefully the booklet will tell me more, I am not giving up pasta without a fight!!!!! I was thinking along the diet system ie accumulating some calories and using them later (I know the diabetic system is different its just the idea I am talking about)
Unfortunately it doesn't really work like that. i used to love pasta and potatoes, but since I was diagnosed in Feb I haven't eaten any. I think my health is more important than a short term treat. Instead of potatoes I have butternut squash, cut like chips or roasties. I bought a spiralizer and have corgette (corgetti) instead of pasta. After five months I don't even miss the carbs. I was away on holiday recently and had one of my (former) favourite ice lollies, but it was so sweet! I didn't enjoy it and wouldn't contemplate having another. It's a matter of being firm with yourself and re educating your tastebuds. My bible at the beginning was Micheal Mosely's "8 week blood sugar diet recipe book" (I don't have it to hand but I think that's the title). Some great meal ideas and very easy to follow.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not giving up pasta without a fight!!!!!
Have a look for these, they stock them in Sainsbury's....
Penne1.jpg

They are not as good as wheat pasta but not bad, particularly the penne. The advantage of these is that you can substitute them in any pasta recipe, although I would cook them softer than al dente. You still need to be careful of portion control, I have 50g dry weight.

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look for these, they stock them in Sainsbury's....
View attachment 23453
They are not as good as wheat pasta but not bad, particularly the penne. The advantage of these is that you can substitute them in any pasta recipe, although I would cook them softer than al dente. You still need to be careful of portion control, I have 50g dry weight.

I noticed that these pastas are Gluten Free, can I ask is a "Gluten Free" food good for us, I am unsure what gluten is, and if i buy Gluten Free bread or pasta etc, does it mean I can eat them even occassionaly?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed that these pastas are Gluten Free, can I ask is a "Gluten Free" food good for us, I am unsure what gluten is, and if i buy Gluten Free bread or pasta etc, does it mean I can eat them even occassionaly?
They just happen to be gluten free as they don't contain wheat. GF is no advantage to diabetics unless they also have a gluten intolerance or celiac desease.

Swazzle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh boy, people have been so misinformed about what to eat/ not to eat when diabetic.

One sad truth is that doctors and even diabetic nurses are not trained in nutrition, so they adhere to the medicinal principal.

For the love of God, carbs are NOT bad for you! After watching Kip Anderson's "What the health" documentary and "Food inc" I did more research and read that we have been so misinformed about the appropriate long term diet for diabetics.

After reading studies ("the China study", "proteinaholic", "how not to die" etc) I learned so much about real nutrition and also how detrimental zero/low carb and pale diets are for not just diabetics, but any person long term. You may find short term improvements, particularly in relation to weight loss, but the compounds in animal proteins take a very long time for our organs to break down and digest.

In my experience, I was never over weight but was told I had slightly high BP and cholesterol. Even though I ate about 100 carbs daily (occasionally more or less) and religiously ate eggs, fish and chicken every day and avoided fruits, thinking this would be good for me. Er, nope.

My doctor prescribed some Ramipril, which was giving me stomach pains and problems so I stopped taking it. At around this time I uncovered the documentaries and started reading into it (thinking "pfft must be vegan propaganda ****") and that's when I stopped eating meat and dairy.

Two weeks in I lost 6lbs/ 4kg, despite eating high levels of carbs from seeded bread and bananas to rice and quinoa. My gut was feeling much better as I was getting rid of all the excess fat and fluid, since I was taking in higher intake of fibre and nutrients from fruits veggies and grains.

Oh did I mention - my BG significantly dropped (I won't lie, I had a few hypos while adjusting...on a high carb diet) and so I reduced my insulin. It is now about halved. I imagine that if I went raw vegan I could drop it even more, but I do like tasting food so I probably wouldn't last long doing that.

So I would recommend for type 2 diabetes to try plant based diet, as all those books (and more) correlate on the evidence of reversing t2d on a plant diet. Only point on that is to be careful of some substitute products "free from" animal proteins as some can be very high in sat fat and have plenty added sugars so check for that. But eat lots of veg, fruits and grains. Especially things like freekah, quinoa, etc and protein subs like lentils, legumes and even peanut butter.

If you want recipes or tips on adjusting then I can recommend some for you which I've found to help. Don't hesitate to get in touch, thanks :) x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Swazzle Well done on your success, I'm happy for you, but speaking as a diet controlled T2 I disagree about fruits, grains, lentils and legumes. I have no medication to help me, only my own pancreas and natural insulin. Sadly, these food items will not help me. If they would, I would eat them. One plum sent me rocketing from the 5s to double figures. I am very happy and very healthy with low carb. x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Even before diagnosis I could not eat 100 gm of carb a day and maintain my weight - it would have required hours of exercise every day to try to keep it off.
I have managed to lower all my readings, but have to eat low carb in order to maintain my very slow weight loss and - of course, my blood glucose at normal levels.
For a type 2 there aren't many options when it comes to the amount of carbs eaten if BG is to be kept at safe levels.

vjaarsaj

Hello Baldbilluk welcome to the forum.
If the dietary advice is correct - why are there so many people who are about the same circumference as their height?
Fats are essential for good health - they break down into essential fatty acids - and many people have found that restricting carbohydrates is the thing to do - starting with William Banting, who was publishing his 'Letter on corpulence' a hundred years before Dr Atkins was becoming famous for weightloss.
I usually eat foods with 10 percent carbs or less, but do eat fruits with a bit more, but only in moderation. If you select less expensive cuts of meat and cheaper fish, avoid processed foods (they love to add starch to them) it is not an expensive way to eat.
A box of little blocks of the good stuff, thickly coated in batter or breadcrumbs or with a sludgy sauce usually costs more than the fresh unadulterated real food you really need, and it makes you hungry again quickly.
If it's not full fat I won't buy it