Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think originally it must have been because when taking insuline affecting meications there is a possible risk that the blood glucose can lower even more while driving and because that a hypo can affect awareness and even in worst case make the person unconsious, a lot of diabtics also loose their hypo awareness over the years and then those people would not even recognize that they are about to get a hypo...... it is really self-explaining that when consiousness can be affected by low blood glucose it can result in life threathening accidents..

but most people on metformin has a very stable blood glucose so don´t know why all dibetics taking medication no matter which kind has come right under the same hat/law... maybe to avoid a lot of debating with police and in court..
don´t know if we have the same law in Denmark.. usually there are identical traffic laws in all Europe .. except that you in GB drives in the other side of the lane

In Denmark it seems we are only adviced not to drive when being under 4 mmol... and if we feel ill or are in risk of a hypo, all diabetics need a doctors approval that they are in fact well regulated in their diabetes before having allowance to drive a car

Last edited:
Reactions: Liam1955

James13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last 4 days have been 11.3 (ouch!) 9.2, 8.9 and 8.9 today so it's getting better. 8s is normal for my fasting readings, I think because of the antidepressants I take at night. But my pre dinner readings are usually in the 5s so I'm expecting a much better HbA1c next time I go - last was 68

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think originally it must have been because when taking insuline affecting meications there is a possible risk that the blood glucose can lower even more while driving and because that a hypo can affect awareness and even in worst case make the person unconsious, a lot of diabtics also loose their hypo awareness over the years and then those people would not even recognize that they are about to get a hypo...... it is really self-explaining that when consiousness can be affected by low blood glucose it can result in life threathening accidents..

but most people on metformin has a very stable blood glucose so don´t know why all dibetics taking medication no matter which kind has come right under the same hat/law... maybe to avoid a lot of debating with police and in court..
don´t know if we have the same law in Denmark.. usually there are identical traffic laws in all Europe .. except that you in GB drives in the other side of the lane

In Denmark it seems we are only adviced not to drive when being under 4 mmol... and if we feel ill or are in risk of a hypo, all diabetics need a doctors approval that they are in fact well regulated in their diabetes before having allowance to drive a car
Ok but I control my diabetes with diet alone and often get readings below 5 which was your original number. Indeed there is an argument that readings below 5 are to be aspired to and normal blood sugars is 4 to 5.9.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
5.4 this morning even after a somewhat unpleasant night and waking up with blood on the bedding from one of the bruises on my arm deciding to bleed in the night. Stings like mad I hate prednisolone.

Not pleasant. I hate prednisolone too...caused my diabetes and will almost definitely increase the blood sugar...but it can be a necessary evil.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Freema

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Boris, are you sure we cannot drive if below 5? I thought it is below 3.

Have I missed something...my understanding is that Type 2s not on meds for diabetes are not required to test themselves before driving...In fact, they are not required to test themselves at all (and as so many lazily trained health professionals keep telling us, we don't even need meters!)...sorry, I've probably missed an earlier clarification of this...feel free to shoot me down.

ps. also "advised" is not "legally required"

Last edited:
Reactions: Liam1955

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 again - was 5.1 before bed. Probably 4th 5 in a row, feels so much better not waking up a sweaty mess :)

Weight back down to 72kg again after slipping up to 75kg. All looking good - will try to retain control when I go to France next month, life is much nicer in the 5's :):):)

Off to swim now! Happy Thursday :)