in air conditioning all day after no air conditioning and have high numbers - thoughts?

skg232

I have come from a hot climate with no air conditioning and now am in a hot climate but in constant air conditioning with very cool temps - I feel cold. My numbers have been very high - is it me or the insulin? Thoughts? experiences? Thanks so much!

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have come from a hot climate with no air conditioning and now am in a hot climate but in constant air conditioning with very cool temps - I feel cold. My numbers have been very high - is it me or the insulin? Thoughts? experiences? Thanks so much!

Hi @skg232 . . .

Yes, background temperature can affect blood-sugar levels. People often (not always) report that they need different amounts of Insulin in different seasons/locations. Certainly I need more basal Insulin in winter compared to summer. (I believe it's because of the blood-vessels dilating in warmer temperatures - blood-vessels become a more efficient carrier of Insulin).

Also, if you have been involved in a move then it may be possible that your Insulin may have spent some time unrefrigerated or being shaken about? This could reduce its potency somewhat.

And there are dozens of other things which affect blood-sugar levels, stress being high on the list. If you have been involved in a move and are now in a new environment then this may also be a factor.

All will get revealed as time goes on and you gain more information.

Regards :)
Antony