Libre sensor.....again!!!

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

I put a new sensor on this morning. Activated it at 2pm. All working fine after 60 min countdown until about an hour ago. For first time I've activated it only with phone and now alternating between unable to scan sensor msg try again or unable to read glucose wait 10mins msg.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. Not on the phone just on the reader and I had to start a new sensor. The sensor was replaced free of charge.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @mariposa84 It hasnt happened to me but I would call the helpline before doing anything to seek advice, I have found it takes 12 hours before it works accurately, but the help team should be able to help and replace if necessary.

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Aaaaargh!!! So annoying! When this piece of kit works it is truly wonderful...when it doesn't, it drives me up the wall! I seem to be having a run of bad luck with sensors . Is it my fault for not activating with reader first?

Many thanks for such prompt replies ☺

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just tried scanning again and it's told me sensor not working and I need to replace it

That is what happened to mine - I am pretty sure exactly one hour after it should of started working (i.e. 2 hours once activated).

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Fleegle,

Will give customer service a call and see what they say in the morning.

I've got a spare luckily but am going to put it on tomorrow and leave it 24hrs before activating as lots of forum members recommend it.

Just removed sensor from arm...All of the adhesive was covered in dried blood...don't know what I'm doing wrong and finding it very frustrating :(

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Fleegle,

Will give customer service a call and see what they say in the morning.

I've got a spare luckily but am going to put it on tomorrow and leave it 24hrs before activating as lots of forum members recommend it.

Just removed sensor from arm...All of the adhesive was covered in dried blood...don't know what I'm doing wrong and finding it very frustrating :(

You are probably doing nothing wrong @mariposa84, on occasion they fail and Abbott are really good in my experience at replacing them, Probably why they are not cheap in fact.
Good idea on the 24 hour activation plan - I have found that works better. Although the problem you reported isn't what I would consider is fixed by the 24 hour pre-wear. The incredibly and unrealistic low readings are what I notice.

There is lot of great advice on the forum. I had a debate with customer services once on whether I could wear it anywhere else because I wasn't happy with the arm readings I was getting (in the first 24 hours). They would not warrant that but they did say the best place on the arm was where there was a little less muscle (and I chose my words carefully) a little more fat. And since then and perhaps more by luck things have got better if I am for the less muscle area.

The blood is interesting - occasionally after the full two weeks there is a small dot of blood but not a lot. Did you go into a thin skinny area perhaps gone in too deep? I don't know.

When you call in - try and engage them in a conversation because they will just go straight for the replace and you want to know more about why. If you get any good tips please post.

Reactions: mariposa84

JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
I had one that bled badly on application to the point where blood dripped out the hole on the middle! The sensor still worked fine though.

I have also recently had the same error message as you, I kept trying to restart it over 24hrs but it wouldn't. When I took it off the little metal prong was bent over so had never gone into my arm. Abbott replaced it no problem.

I also only use the phone app now. I find blood testing on one of the old standalone meters a lot more hassle free than the one integrated with the libre and I don't want to cart around 2. The main annoyance is with the official app you can't download your data from what I can tell.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone have any idea why your NHS goes with Libre versus Dexcom? People seem happier with Dexcom from what I've read, and Dexcom will wake you up via your phone if you are trending low which Libre won't do (which is stupid IMO). And I don't think one needs a separate scanner thing with Dexcom I think a phone is all you need, plus the sensors of course. The Libre isn't even available in the US I found out. Is the Libre cheaper maybe?

Last edited:

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish the Libre was on the NHS. Nearly everyone self funds the Libre or dexcom in the UK.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Yeah I would think they'd fund it too. 4 million Type 1's. Figure less than half of them are even gonna mess with it, maybe less (like me, I don't want to). So 1-2 million max. That can't cost that much. And maybe they could like split it with you even. The big group would be the kids with parents, and people living alone, they could use the alert for lows feature of the Dexcom. My friend's son got it a couple years ago and his federal employee insurance pays for it. He says it's been great.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I put a new sensor on this morning. Activated it at 2pm. All working fine after 60 min countdown until about an hour ago. For first time I've activated it only with phone and now alternating between unable to scan sensor msg try again or unable to read glucose wait 10mins msg.

Has anyone else had this happen?
I haven't had sensors for AGES and don't plan on getting any. I never used my phone to scan my sensor. I'm 13 though so shouldn't. I used my Libre to scan and the error I usually got was sensor ended. I don't remember getting any other error message

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had one that bled badly on application to the point where blood dripped out the hole on the middle! The sensor still worked fine though.

I have also recently had the same error message as you, I kept trying to restart it over 24hrs but it wouldn't. When I took it off the little metal prong was bent over so had never gone into my arm. Abbott replaced it no problem.

I also only use the phone app now. I find blood testing on one of the old standalone meters a lot more hassle free than the one integrated with the libre and I don't want to cart around 2. The main annoyance is with the official app you can't download your data from what I can tell.
I bled badly at application my blood went through the sensor. Called the hospital I think and they said it should still work following the sensor accident.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I bled badly at application my blood went through the sensor. Called the hospital I think and they said it should still work following the sensor accident.
I also only used the Libre itself. I do not use sensors anymore. Rarely use them

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You are probably doing nothing wrong @mariposa84, on occasion they fail and Abbott are really good in my experience at replacing them, Probably why they are not cheap in fact.
Good idea on the 24 hour activation plan - I have found that works better. Although the problem you reported isn't what I would consider is fixed by the 24 hour pre-wear. The incredibly and unrealistic low readings are what I notice.

There is lot of great advice on the forum. I had a debate with customer services once on whether I could wear it anywhere else because I wasn't happy with the arm readings I was getting (in the first 24 hours). They would not warrant that but they did say the best place on the arm was where there was a little less muscle (and I chose my words carefully) a little more fat. And since then and perhaps more by luck things have got better if I am for the less muscle area.

The blood is interesting - occasionally after the full two weeks there is a small dot of blood but not a lot. Did you go into a thin skinny area perhaps gone in too deep? I don't know.

When you call in - try and engage them in a conversation because they will just go straight for the replace and you want to know more about why. If you get any good tips please post.

Sorry for not replying sooner. Spoke to customer service rep who is sending a replacement. I asked if it was something I was doing wrong. He said he didn't think that was the case as the sensor had started giving readings before something went wrong and it was most likely something wrong with sensor. I have skinny arms with little flab so think I just need to be very careful about where I put the sensor.

Thanks for all your advice ☺

Caerdobi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick tip for you guys. The sensors often fail for me when I obviously hit a blood vessel and the blood then gums up the sensor, which is why it works for an hour or two and then fails. Always covered in dried blood in removal. Quite often I experience a bit of throbbing pain from the site when this happens.

The last time I did this, I noticed a bit of blood and hopped in the shower, and stuck my arm under the flow for a little while. Because the hole in the middle goes all the way through, it washed all the blood away and the sensor then continued to work as normal afterwards.

Caerdobi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, you guys using the Libre should get these. They're a couple of quid from Boots for a pack. Perfect size to cover the sensor, everything still works and they protect the sensor from being knocked off on doorways ( two casualties for me so far!) plus when you pull off a t-shirt.

4obcc77.jpg

Zqs7b5c.jpg

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
  • unfortunately yes. You hace to use reader first and rhen phnw in first hour. If you use phone first then that is it for that sensor but phone will work.
  • Aaaaargh!!! So annoying! When this piece of kit works it is truly wonderful...when it doesn't, it drives me up the wall! I seem to be having a run of bad luck with sensors . Is it my fault for not activating with reader first?
Many thanks for such prompt replies ☺

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Quick tip for you guys. The sensors often fail for me when I obviously hit a blood vessel and the blood then gums up the sensor, which is why it works for an hour or two and then fails. Always covered in dried blood in removal. Quite often I experience a bit of throbbing pain from the site when this happens.

The last time I did this, I noticed a bit of blood and hopped in the shower, and stuck my arm under the flow for a little while. Because the hole in the middle goes all the way through, it washed all the blood away and the sensor then continued to work as normal afterwards.
usually blood vessel hit .eans a more accurate sensor