Type 2 Dawn Phenomenon

Anantha71_

Hi,

I am frustrated with my morning readings. I have been on tablets for 5 years, Glucopage 500 XR later glucopage 750XR twice daily(morning and night ..after breakfast and dinner) and Diamicron 60 mg in the morning after breakfast. my A1C used be around 7. I have been following LCHF diet since April'17 and decided to stop all the medicines. I have been regularly checking my sugar levels which is normal during the day ..hovers around 125..till evening. Even after dinner in find my PP in 120s but in the morning from 4 to 8 I find the sugar level shooting up and is in the range of 130 s, is there any thing I can do, any tablet recommended if so what time I should take, am thinking of taking Glucopage 750 XR by around 3 a.m to contain the spike. I am taking two spoons of ACV after dinner by around 8.30 p.m but I do not see any improvement.Pls suggest and help. Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Anantha71_,

Welcome to the forum.

You've done a great job on getting your blood sugars under control and eliminating all medications. If your blood sugars are consistently in the range of 120 to 130, this would most likely give you an HbA1c that is lower than the one you've got while being on medications.

When I started low carb, it took quite a while for my fasting blood sugars to fall into line -- about half a year. My HbA1c was already in the non-diabetic range, but the GP still measured fasting levels in the 160s when taking blood for the first two three-monthly test. Since you've only been low carbing since April, it's still early times.

Are you taking any other supplements apart from apple cider vinegar? Could you give us an idea what you eat on an average day?

Edit to add: Forgot to tag @daisy1 and @AM1874 to post some helpful information for new members on this forum.

Last edited:

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I am frustrated with my morning readings. I have been on tablets for 5 years, Glucopage 500 XR later glucopage 750XR twice daily(morning and night ..after breakfast and dinner) and Diamicron 60 mg in the morning after breakfast. my A1C used be around 7. I have been following LCHF diet since April'17 and decided to stop all the medicines. I have been regularly checking my sugar levels which is normal during the day ..hovers around 125..till evening. Even after dinner in find my PP in 120s but in the morning from 4 to 8 I find the sugar level shooting up and is in the range of 130 s, is there any thing I can do, any tablet recommended if so what time I should take, am thinking of taking Glucopage 750 XR by around 3 a.m to contain the spike. I am taking two spoons of ACV after dinner by around 8.30 p.m but I do not see any improvement.Pls suggest and help. Thanks in advance!!

Hi @Anantha71_

How near to bedtime are you having your last meal and does it have enough fat with less than 10g carbs?

I can eradicate my DP by having some mild cheese on some low carb biscuits - useful if my readings are higher due to a cold for example.

Reactions: Prem51

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hello @Anantha71_ and welcome to the forum :)

Some of us (me!) never get our DP under control - I've been low carbing for two years now and I can get it down to lower numbers by fasting or eating zero carbs but it only lasts for a day or two before popping back up again.

Luckily, as you can see from my HbA1c results of 29 / 4.9, it doesn't seem to have mattered - but, yes, it would be nice to have lower DP all the time. :)

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

Anantha71_

Hi@ Ziggy,

The below is how I eat. for breakfast i take 85 gms of Almonds, green tea by 11 am, for lunch vegetables cabbage, Cauliflower, Green leaves(we call it palak in Hindi) with cottage cheese and snacks in inthe evening -walnut, meccademia nuts, coconut meat for dinner - veg soup/ egg fry/egg omlet by around 8 30 pm this has been my diet from April'17, but with few instances of cheating..eating carb foods 2 -3 times in a week due to unavoidale circumstances

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi@ Ziggy,

The below is how I eat. for breakfast i take 85 gms of Almonds, green tea by 11 am, for lunch vegetables cabbage, Cauliflower, Green leaves(we call it palak in Hindi) with cottage cheese and snacks in inthe evening -walnut, meccademia nuts, coconut meat for dinner - veg soup/ egg fry/egg omlet by around 8 30 pm this has been my diet from April'17, but with few instances of cheating..eating carb foods 2 -3 times in a week due to unavoidale circumstances

Hi @Anantha71_,

Your diet sounds great. From the food you list, I gather you are vegetarian or even vegan. Do you find it challenging to eat low carb at the same time?

Do you like avocados? I personally love them and it seems for some of low carb vegetarian/vegan members of this forum, this is one of the go-to foods.

Some of us also use supplements to lower blood sugar. I have personally tried R-Ala and milkthistle. To be honest, I have not noticed much of an impact on blood sugar -- but this might be due to the fact that my blood sugars are quite low already. However, they also have other benefits for diabetics, so I'll probably keep taking them anyway.

Other supplements that might help are cinnamon and tumeric. Have you had a look at the forum Alternative Treatments yet?

Reactions: Chook

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I just eat the most the 1st half of the day , the 2nd half of the day way less , I cant eat much later in the day because it really effects my sleep and high morning reading and exercise 1 hour a day as early as possible to get things moving.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A fatty protein blocks my liver dumps. No matter what time of day.
Before exercise too.

Well done for your excellent achievements so far.

Only tweak one change at a time to avoid burnout please.

Many are finding daisy1 info enough to stick too at first diagnosis.
Dont get too bombarded with info. It can get overwelming.

Once again. Well done and take time to reflect on your achievements to date.