ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have one black coffee in the morning no more than about 500ml, I would usually have 1 or 2 during the day but not always, I have no idea what the effect would be on this diet drinking more coffee that is why I am only having the one.
Last night I had a slightly restless night but that is not unusual as I am a full time carer and often don't get to sleep until 1-2am
No more irritable than any other time, and my concentration is no worse than it has been since the stroke (thats another story).
I woke with an annoying headache and that has eased considerably.
Has the headache easied due to having your coffee fix?
I know diet coke still has caffeine in mind.
Headaches could be caffeine withdrawal related rather than decreased carbs and cals?

Reactions: Peerless67

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don.t want to make a claim either way, but I had a mild headache this morning that went after my coffee so I suspect it was partly a withdrawal, but the NC diet pages do say that a headache can be expected. I have been drinking CC zero which must contain caffeine too.
I plan on drinking more black coffee today and will see if it makes any difference.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This coffee thing is an example of how different we can all be.
I stopped drinking coffee many years ago, over 30 years, when it was suggested that could be the cause of the headaches I was having. (I never did drink cokes) My headaches disappeared like magic. I now only drink decaff and can honestly say a headache is an extremely rare occurrence for me. So it was the coffee that caused mine. Or a mysterious coincidence.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm interested in your findings.
I will be on restricted low calorie eating after bariatric surgery. The egg size stomach and half intestine will restrict me to low intake for a very long time. Long enough to be the new normal way of eating for my diabetes.
I'm looking forward to what my bgs will do.
I respect low carb eating to help control my high bgs and still the need for insulin so hoping the restrictive eating will make all the difference. I need to live another 25yrs or so with this disease. My organs need all the help they can get!

I'll watch your findings with interest. When I can get on-line quickly.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Bluetit1802 post: 1525699 said:
This coffee thing is an example of how different we can all be.
I stopped drinking coffee many years ago, over 30 years, when it was suggested that could be the cause of the headaches I was having. (I never did drink cokes) My headaches disappeared like magic. I now only drink decaff and can honestly say a headache is an extremely rare occurrence for me. So it was the coffee that caused mine. Or a mysterious coincidence.
Decaf still has caffeine in, but far less than none decaf ones.
Chocolate has a similiar affect as a stimulant.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
headache are often due to the body having less caffeine then it is used to, e.g. not drinking coffee while sleeping compared to drinking lots of coffee in the day. Taking the one off hit of going caffeine free and just drinking water may be worth it.....

headache can also be due to having too little salt, one way to correct this is to have a stock cube in a mag of hot water two times a day, home made bone broth is better but not an option for most people.

As to tinned soaps having too many carbs, it may be worth making your own, it will take a bit of time, but they can be frozen. Most soap are thickened with corn flower, as a diabetic I rather not have corn flower in my soap....

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With the talk about coffee curiosity got the better of me so I just took a BG test and it is 6.6 I literally finished my coffee 30 minutes ago. I wonder if I could drink more black coffee during the course of the day without any adverse effects on the diet.
Calorie wise its nothing but I wonder if the carbs would make a great difference.

6.6 <<<< I need to let that sink in !!!!
That is amazing - no drugs - superb keep it up.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yesterday I just, by a whisker remained in single figures. My fasting BG was 6.5
Before my midday meal 6.1 and 2 hours after 9.9, however before my evening meal my BG had dropped to 5.5 and 2 hours after was 9.1 just before bed 6.9

Day 6:

I had extra black coffee yesterday and no headache this morning, but to be fair I think the headache could just of been a result of dropping from eating like a pig to 600 calories which is one of the side effects the NC diet warns of.
I would say I am at about 3 - 3.5 liters of fluids now

I woke with the fruity, nail polish remover breath of ketosis. Who would ever have thought you could feel good about breath like a Hyena. Since this is a frank record I should also mention I have not had to do a number 2 since Day 1, I do not feel like I need to and do not feel constipated or uncomfortable in anyway but I am usually regular.

My fasting BG 6.3 <<< the drops are less dramatic now but nonetheless they are drops, my fasting BG over the past 6 days looks like this.

Day 1 - 17.8
Day 2 - 11.1
Day 3 - 8.6
Day 4 - 7.8
Day 5 - 6.5
Day 6 - 6.3

Today is the first day that my first BG of the day was lower than my last BG of the night before.
All of my lowest daily readings have been before my evening meal with day 4 and 5 both being 5.5

My diet has remained unchanged since the start. Black coffee, no breakfast, soup for midday meal and roasted veg for evening meal. The NC diet calls for 800 calories but I have managed pretty well ranging from approx 350 to a little over 600, but I should mention these values are from printed labels and internet figures for the calorie values of the veg, additional veg is how I have increased the calories over the past 2 days and that may account for rises in my BG from 5.5 on both days to 9.4 and 9.1 respectively 2 hours after my evening meal.

I see my DN tomorrow afternoon, interested to see how my BP and weight has done, and the look on her face when she does the finger prick test.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Great post!! Fantastic to see that list of history FBG has come down.

If bathroom issues become a bit more uncomfortable then try some stuff called psyllium husk - it works wonders. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've just been talking to a newly diagnosed acquaintance who is desperate to get her numbers down quickly without too much initial faffing around or research - and I told her what you're doing and she is going to give it a try. It's such an easy diet to explain and a great way to get control as you've shown. :)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great progress, you are getting your BG levels under control faster then most of us booked our nurse appointment.:) It took me many weeks to see levels as low as yours doing classic LCHF.

I assume the roasted veg contains below ground veg, if so try using above ground veg as the carbs are lower, maybe even doing some sty fried green veg on some days. You can add calories with olive oil and/or butter if the green veg have two low calories to reach your target.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great progress, you are getting your BG levels under control faster then most of us booked our nurse appointment.:) It took me many weeks to see levels as low as yours doing classic LCHF.

I assume the roasted veg contains below ground veg, if so try using above ground veg as the carbs are lower, maybe even doing some sty fried green veg on some days. You can add calories with olive oil and/or butter if the green veg have two low calories to reach your target.

Thank you, all the veg is above ground. Courgette, Capsicum, cherry tomato, Aubergine, Red onion, a few halved button mushrooms. When I get this week out of the way I will change it up a little. However right now I am not struggling and I am enjoying the roasted veg.

Reactions: Serena51 and ringi

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Green veg will be lower carb, so will give a lower peak. However having food you enjoy is very important to long term outcomes.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think I was diagnosed in 2014, my vision had deteriorated very quickly, literally over a couple of days and initially I thought I had, had another stroke because the blurring of my vision was pretty much the same as that following the stroke.
Over the following few days I was getting up all through the night needing to pee and drink. Unaware I had diabetes I was drinking anything and everything, milk, fruit juice, soda and occasionally water. My voice had changed too, and it has continued to change every now and then, I have never been able to explain it. It is as if my vocal chords have been altered and it only tends to last a couple of days or so then goes, and of course it is always when my blood sugar is elevated.
Anyhow over the course of a couple of weeks the need to pee through the night and the uncontrollable thirst got worse, I had not noticed myself but I had started to lose weight even though I was eating as normal. I was with my daughter one day and she insisted I go with her to the hospital and get checked out.

I saw the tri-age nurse who did a blood test, “You must be feeling quite unwell your blood sugar is sky high” She had also said it was 960, which meant absolutely nothing to me but it got me seen by the Doctor pretty quick. So that was it, I was now diabetic.

I was given some advice on do’s and don’ts and prescribed Metformin 1 x twice a day after a while this was increased to 2 x twice a day and my blood sugar was coming down, but not as the nurse would have liked so I was prescribed Gliclazide at first ½ a tablet twice a day.
After my second or third long range blood test in 2015 my long range blood sugar was down to 48.
I was told I had done well to get such high numbers down so quick and there was a concern that I might get to low so the Gliclazide was taken away.
That’s where it all went pear shaped, my next long range blood was over 180. I was frustrated to put it mildly, I was put back on the Gliclazide which over the following few months was doubled to 2 a day and then again to 4 a day. I was also given Sitagliptin.
My last 2 long range blood tests have come back at 120 and 102. My past couple of visit’s the nurse has mentioned injecting, I am not keen.

I hope I can turn my frustration to determination.

August 1st 2017

Today I am starting the Newcastle diet, well as close as I can get to it since the food supplements used in the original study are not available in the UK without a prescription.
I plan on using Heinz soups and to also use the vegetables suggested in the Newcastle trial.
I may try some of the other meal supplements that are available but the nutritional values compared to Heinz soups do not seem greatly different. My one luxury will be black coffee in the mornings.

After dinner yesterday I took my last lot of diabetes medicine. I was taking 9 tablets a day just for my type 2 diabetes which consisted of 4 x 500mg Metformin, 4 x 80mg Gliclazide and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin.
On top of those I also take 75mg Clopidogrel and 40mg Simvastatin, I also take up to 8 x 50mg Tramadol when I need to for pain.
The Clopidogrel I was prescribed following a stroke in 2012 and the Statin I was prescribed a fair while before that for Cholesterol. I will continue to take both of these daily along with a multivitamin tablet. I have Centrum Advance 50+ food supplement multivitamin/multimineral tablets, (Complete from A to Zinc) I may change these if I find something better or more suitable.

I have lost 20 kilos over the past 2 years from 104 KG to 84 KG however this has not translated into low BG numbers. I am 6’3” 50 years old.

My last long range blood test was 102 my next one will be at the start of November.

My blood this morning after 12 hours fasting was 17.8

My blood at 3.30pm today was 13.4 just before my first meal which was Tomato Soup (134 calories), apparently no added sugar and reduced salt. I shall take readings and keep a note of my food intake on this thread as regularly as possible.
I am not changing my meds until I see my bloods hopefully come down. I thought I can reduce the meds once much lower. Your stats are impressive, well done.
I am planning to use low carb diet to maintain and hopefully control the T2 and bloods.
I am watching with interest as we have similar start points although I am older (60 just)

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear - picking up the wrong thing is so easily done - my husband once came home with eight cans of Lidl meatballs instead of baked beans because they were in the wrong place on the shelf.

Its great that your BG is trending downwards - its lovely to see those numbers get lower - makes the rumbling tummy worthwhile. :)

Have you thought about making your own soup? That way you can control the carb content.
I bought myself a soup maker.... 10 mins prep and 20 mins later delicious soup and countable carbs!! Best investment ever!

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am not changing my meds until I see my bloods hopefully come down. I thought I can reduce the meds once much lower. Your stats are impressive, well done.
I am planning to use low carb diet to maintain and hopefully control the T2 and bloods.
I am watching with interest as we have similar start points although I am older (60 just)

I do not know what meds you are taking and I am not qualified to advise you, however be aware that your numbers could drop as fast as mine and if you are on anywhere near the same amount of meds I was your BG could drop very low.
If you plan on continuing your meds I would 100% inform your GP and DN before embarking on it.

Wish you the best of luck.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I just, by a whisker remained in single figures. My fasting BG was 6.5
Before my midday meal 6.1 and 2 hours after 9.9, however before my evening meal my BG had dropped to 5.5 and 2 hours after was 9.1 just before bed 6.9

Day 6:

I had extra black coffee yesterday and no headache this morning, but to be fair I think the headache could just of been a result of dropping from eating like a pig to 600 calories which is one of the side effects the NC diet warns of.
I would say I am at about 3 - 3.5 liters of fluids now

I woke with the fruity, nail polish remover breath of ketosis. Who would ever have thought you could feel good about breath like a Hyena. Since this is a frank record I should also mention I have not had to do a number 2 since Day 1, I do not feel like I need to and do not feel constipated or uncomfortable in anyway but I am usually regular.

My fasting BG 6.3 <<< the drops are less dramatic now but nonetheless they are drops, my fasting BG over the past 6 days looks like this.

Day 1 - 17.8
Day 2 - 11.1
Day 3 - 8.6
Day 4 - 7.8
Day 5 - 6.5
Day 6 - 6.3

Today is the first day that my first BG of the day was lower than my last BG of the night before.
All of my lowest daily readings have been before my evening meal with day 4 and 5 both being 5.5

My diet has remained unchanged since the start. Black coffee, no breakfast, soup for midday meal and roasted veg for evening meal. The NC diet calls for 800 calories but I have managed pretty well ranging from approx 350 to a little over 600, but I should mention these values are from printed labels and internet figures for the calorie values of the veg, additional veg is how I have increased the calories over the past 2 days and that may account for rises in my BG from 5.5 on both days to 9.4 and 9.1 respectively 2 hours after my evening meal.

I see my DN tomorrow afternoon, interested to see how my BP and weight has done, and the look on her face when she does the finger prick test.

You are doing amazingly. I hope those figures have put a massive grin on your face.
Do you think it is good to go as low as 350 - or even 600? Is that sustainable over 8 weeks?
I think I read somewhere that people can fast for quite a long while but I don't think I could do 600 calories for to long.

Anyway - you are doing really well and look like you know exactly what you are doing - as I say keep going the FB 5's are coming by the looks of things!

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are doing amazingly. I hope those figures have put a massive grin on your face.
Do you think it is good to go as low as 350 - or even 600? Is that sustainable over 8 weeks?
I think I read somewhere that people can fast for quite a long while but I don't think I could do 600 calories for to long.

Anyway - you are doing really well and look like you know exactly what you are doing - as I say keep going the FB 5's are coming by the looks of things!

Thanks for the kind words Fleegle, The very low calorie start was intentional, in my own mind I had considered that I had just stopped taking 9 T2 medications. I was concerned that my BG would climb dramatically without them, even on the diet.
I have steadily increased my calories and have gone from approx 350 on day one to approx 700 today at the moment I feel good and I still have 100 calories in reserve to hit the 800. Although my calories are low my carbs may be higher than those obtained using the NC diet shakes and soups.
But numbers as low as 350 would definitely not be sustainable, and I would not advise anyone to go that low without medical supervision.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Day 7:

I can hardly believe today is the one week mark, I can not lie the first couple of days I was hungry but that has eased now. I actually increased the veg in my evening meal yesterday and I have to say it left me feeling a little uncomfortable, like I had eaten to much. I put it down to my stomach shrinking.

Yesterdays numbers, before midday meal 5.9 and 2 hours after 9.2
Before my evening meal had a new low of 5.4 and 2 hours after 7.7, before bed 6.3

This morning 6.1 which is the second day in a row where my fasting BG has been lower than my last reading of the night before.

I am shopping today for more soups and veg and I have my appointment with my DN this afternoon so I will update the thread later today.