Long lasting carbs

Wayne18000

Hi everybody. Could you please give me some examples of long lasting carbs as the things that I eat like bread and weatabix in the mornings don't seem to last long and my blood sugar keeps dropping. Many thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Avocados. Not sure if it's considered a carb or a fat but it is very slow and lasts a long time to stave off hunger

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs especially starchy carbs aren't good for T2 diabetics as they turn to sugar in our bodies. Bread and weetabix aren't good.
Something like eggs, bacon and mushrooms would be better for breakfast. If you need someting 'bready' LIDL High Protein rolls are filling and low carb.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everybody. Could you please give me some examples of long lasting carbs as the things that I eat like bread and weatabix in the mornings don't seem to last long and my blood sugar keeps dropping. Many thanks in advance

Hi Wayne
Are you Type 1 or Type 2? advice could be very different depending?

Reactions: Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Well I was diagnosed with type 1 but then told I was probably type 2 but I inject insulin 4 times a day. 20 units of lantus in the morning then 4 novorapid for breakfast 6 for lunch and 8 for dinner

Well if your bloods are going too low then it sounds like you are taking too much insulin...But I don't take any meds so it may be worth asking the question in the Type 1 or Type 2 on insulin forum where there will be people with far more experience of what you are going through. Sorry I can't be more help.

Reactions: letstalk1
D

Deleted Account

Glycaemic Index indicates the rate at which carbs are digested. Pure sugar has a GI of 100 and is digested quickly whereas a black cherry yoghurt has a GI of 17 and is digested slower.
There are different reasons for low GI but the easiest to understand is fat slows down digestion. This is why chocolate has a lowish GI and is not recommended as a hypo treatment.
Different foods affect different people different ways but you could take a look at the database on http://www.glycemicindex.com/foodSearch.php and try out some foods with lower GIs. The database is large and Australian but it may give you some ideas.
Alternatively, as others have suggested, you could avoid the carbs and try avocados or eggs or bacon.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand if you are on a fixed amount of insulin than that is what you have to try to deal with, but I'd be having a word with the one dictating the amount, and explaining about the low blood glucose - might be a case of overmedication.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

You may need to make some changes to your insulin doses if your bg levels are going low on a regular occurrence, if your unsure how to do this then speak with your diabetes team.

As for longer acting carbs, most days I start the day with porridge made with Jumbo/Irish Oats, I add Seeds, Natural Greek Yogurt & Blueberries to the mix, it keeps my bg levels stable throughout the morning and is a hearty and nutritious breakfast.

Reactions: azure

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.

If you want to keep your blood sugar stable, don't eat any carbs. Breakfast foods would be eggs, protein, fats, not crackers or bread.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to keep your blood sugar stable, don't eat any carbs. Breakfast foods would be eggs, protein, fats, not crackers or bread.
This advice is not helpful for a diabetic on insulin and if was going to be followed then insulin amounts will need to be adjusted.

Reactions: azure

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Well I was diagnosed with type 1 but then told I was probably type 2 but I inject insulin 4 times a day. 20 units of lantus in the morning then 4 novorapid for breakfast 6 for lunch and 8 for dinner

Hi Wayne,

What time of the morning do you do your lantus? Could it be a simalar time you have your breakfast??
How low are the drops & do these occur around the same time late morning?

StewartH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Wayne
Your question suggests you are struggling to control your Blood Sugar levels and getting low BS's. So that first thing to think about is your insulin dose. If you are eating enough to satisfy your appetite and still getting lows you are taking too much insulin. Seek help from your Diabetic health team. Working out whether its too much Lantus of too much Novorapid or both is not easy and will take a period of gentle adjustment (with support of your health team) to get doses that give you a more even BS through the day and through the night. Thats the goal.

The swings between high BS and low BS that make diabetic life so difficult are a result of the very blunt nature of injection applied Insulin combined with the need to correct the swings when they occur. Like trying to ride a bike when you only have a sledge hammer to bang on the handle bars to steer. Its bloody difficult. That is what your health team should have told you and I bet they didn't!

Low GI carbs will, in my experience help temper BS variance a little but not significantly. All carbs get turned to glucose by your digestion system. It's just a matter of how long it takes. Possibly 5 minutes to 20 minutes but always variable.

That said, Mokkijo is right but should have said that it is dangerous to reduce carbs without reducing insulin at the same time. You will see from the Low Carb forum that many many people have found that If you eat less Carbs you will need less insulin which also reduces the tendency for blood sugars to swing from low to high and back.

Best of luck.

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
Hi Wayne
Your question suggests you are struggling to control your Blood Sugar levels and getting low BS's. So that first thing to think about is your insulin dose. If you are eating enough to satisfy your appetite and still getting lows you are taking too much insulin. Seek help from your Diabetic health team. Working out whether its too much Lantus of too much Novorapid or both is not easy and will take a period of gentle adjustment (with support of your health team) to get doses that give you a more even BS through the day and through the night. Thats the goal.

The swings between high BS and low BS that make diabetic life so difficult are a result of the very blunt nature of injection applied Insulin combined with the need to correct the swings when they occur. Like trying to ride a bike when you only have a sledge hammer to bang on the handle bars to steer. Its bloody difficult. That is what your health team should have told you and I bet they didn't!

Low GI carbs will, in my experience help temper BS variance a little but not significantly. All carbs get turned to glucose by your digestion system. It's just a matter of how long it takes. Possibly 5 minutes to 20 minutes but always variable.

That said, Mokkijo is right but should have said that it is dangerous to reduce carbs without reducing insulin at the same time. You will see from the Low Carb forum that many many people have found that If you eat less Carbs you will need less insulin which also reduces the tendency for blood sugars to swing from low to high and back.

Best of luck.
Mokkijo had no idea that Wayne is on insulin, since I did not read the entire thread, just his post.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mokkijo had no idea that Wayne is on insulin, since I did not read the entire thread, just his post.

No problem Mokkijo. Now you know! :)

image.jpeg