Can Stress really have such an effect?

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just an observation but having now completed my move to the coast and being in the middle of the summer holidays I feel totally relaxed (maybe even a little bored) but my sugar levels are incredible! Fasting levels are below 6 and level drop quickly after meals. I'm regularly getting readings in the 4s. I haven't been eating brilliantly during the run up and the completion of the move but now I'm back on LCHF things seem to be settling much more quickly than the last time I did it.I only take metformin nowadays too.
Can stress REALLY have such an effect on sugar levels?

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on getting back on the wagon and seeing some lovely low numbers.

Stress certainly does play a big part, and moving house is right up there with the top stress causing things.
It could also be possible that a short period of time off the wagon could have kick started your metabolism. Who knows!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed 3 months ago and had got my readings consistently in the 5s and lower 6s. Then bam, last week I had a frantic call mid morning from my 18yr old daughter from Italy (she was interrailing with her friends), saying her iPhone had been pick pocketed and she didn't know what to do. I tried to stay calm for her sake whilst speaking to her but as soon as I finished the call I felt my stress levels rising thinking who do I ring first Apple, Virgin or Insurers? Lots of urgent phone calls ensued. Anyway my next reading pre-lunch was 7.2mmols/l. So in answer to your question, yes!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
yes -- stress can cause BG issues

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your replies. It is definitely something I need to keep an eye on.

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an observation but having now completed my move to the coast and being in the middle of the summer holidays I feel totally relaxed (maybe even a little bored) but my sugar levels are incredible! Fasting levels are below 6 and level drop quickly after meals. I'm regularly getting readings in the 4s. I haven't been eating brilliantly during the run up and the completion of the move but now I'm back on LCHF things seem to be settling much more quickly than the last time I did it.I only take metformin nowadays too.
Can stress REALLY have such an effect on sugar levels?
My osteopath once told me that stress can affect every cell in the body and I think he was right. I'm here on behalf of Hubby (diagnosed about 6 weeks ago) and I think stress was one of the prime reasons that he developed T2 in the first place. Relentless high pressured job which he then left to set up his own business (even more stress and pressure initially) and thw wrong food and lifestyle choices.

I don't let him check his BG when he is stressed because it goes sky high-same as his BP- he is a very cortisol ractive person ! so in a word-yes.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
On a positive note my blood sugar readings were at an all time low for more than two weeks after I returned from my holiday. So chilling out somewhere warm and not doing that much can be a really healthy thing.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

centaur68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think it must do, my levels had been great for months but recently under a lot of stress (personal & work) & my levels have been higher at times than I would have thought & don't seem to bear relation to what I've eaten at all

D

Deleted member 371625

When you feel stress your body goes into fight or flight mode and releases lots of glucose from glycogen stores (stimulated by cortisol). This is perfectly natural and there is even some research suggesting that in non diabetics a temporary form of insulin resistance occurs naturally when in this state - preventing re-storage of the glucose and meaning that energy is instantly available from blood glucose should the need to run or fight actually occur. We may not have survived long as a species without this.
When the danger is over, BG levels drop again naturally.
Of course, the difference for a diabetic is that levels do not return to 'normal' quite so easily.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have recently noticed a real correlation with my BS levels and my stress levels, it's weird, it's like it affects the BS immediately ! I'm trying to remember to test when I feel stressed and when I know I'm really relaxed and look at the difference. So far it seems pretty obvious what stress is doing to the body - now just need to find ways to de-stress !! (and yes I've tried, yoga, mindfulness, meditation, deep breathing, scented candals and herbal tea - guess I'm just a stress-head!)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Have recently noticed a real correlation with my BS levels and my stress levels, it's weird, it's like it affects the BS immediately ! I'm trying to remember to test when I feel stressed and when I know I'm really relaxed and look at the difference. So far it seems pretty obvious what stress is doing to the body - now just need to find ways to de-stress !! (and yes I've tried, yoga, mindfulness, meditation, deep breathing, scented candals and herbal tea - guess I'm just a stress-head!)
Have you tried whiskey?

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well blw me down ! never realised that spirits had no carbs !!!!! Get me back on the vodka