Compatible phones for freestyle libre

Mel©

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone help with this?I have android Samsung s7 and can't download the app...im considering changing my phone-ive already bought the sensors..can a few of you please let me know what android compatible phone you have that works with the freestyle libre app?have an insulin pump and bluetooth readings with my meter so i dont want to carry a reader aswell...thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Most Samsung phones pre S7 none post. Generally no new android phone that's top end as far as I can work out. The newer phones like the S7 seem to have more powerful NFC chips which burn out the sensors in some way. So initially I believe you could use the S7 and the Google Pixel but they got removed from the list as users had problems with the sensors. I gave up in the end and bought a reader - I've found it more discreet than holding a phone to my arm and easier to slip into a pocket.

Reactions: Mel©

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone help with this?I have android Samsung s7 and can't download the app...im considering changing my phone-ive already bought the sensors..can a few of you please let me know what android compatible phone you have that works with the freestyle libre app?have an insulin pump and bluetooth readings with my meter so i dont want to carry a reader aswell...thanks

@cott97 is right, the S7 was pulled from the list of supported devices due to sensor failures. Ironically, the S7 Edge still works - weird... I can still run LibreLink on my S7, simply because I installed it long ago.

You could try to source the .apk file from somewhere other than the Google Play Store and install it. I can't confirm whether this works or not.

By using the reader you can scan your sensor a lot easier and more discreetly whilst not having to put your phone on silent. You'll also get better reports.

Using your phone to scan the trader is one less thing to carry and will save you about £60 if your phone is compatible...

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Or you could try the Glimp app from Google play store. I think you'll find some information on there about which phone may damage the Libre sensor. Or use a Sony Smartwatch 3, which hasn't damaged the sensors I've used it on.

Sent - Probably the best phone in the world.

zbluebirdz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a Sony Xperia Z1 along with Glimp app (for reading values - not starting the sensor). Abbott's app will not run on my phone.

Mel©

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much for all your replies... I actually have an old Samsung I'm going to charge up and fingers crossed it will work and save some ££'s...none of this is cheap!

volkslove

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Searched for compatible phones and updated the list.
For those that have double question marks next to them, we need users who can confirm it works as there appears to be mixed success results.

ALCATEL:

IDOL 3

BLUBOO:

PICASSO 4G

LENOVO:

VIBE x3

LG:

G3

WATCH URBANE 2

K10??

MOTOROLA:

MOTO x PLAY

ONEPLUS 3

SAMSUNG:

A3

A5 2017

ACE3

NOTE 2

NOTE 3

NOTE EDGE

on8

S2

S3

S3 NEO

S4

S4 MINI

S5 MINI

S6 EDGE

S7??

S7 EDGE

S8

S8 PLUS

SONY:

XPERIA S

XPERIA z5 COMPACT

XPERIA X

XPERIA XA

XPERIA z1

WILEYFOX:

SWIFT 2 PLUS

XIAOMI:

mi5??

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
I'm currently using my libre with my OnePlus 5 without any issues.

gemo2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As my Sony Z5 Compact doesn't work with the Libre, I'm also looking for a cheap compatible phone.
Does anyone has experience with the Nokia 3?
Or, with the Moto G5s or Nokia 5 (both more expensive)?
Thanks.

FuzzieStump

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone have experience with the Samsung Galaxy S9? I have an S7, and obviously don't want to chance it, so I'm considering an upgrade - I'd like to go to the S9 if it's compatible...

roco1

Can any of these phones work as an nfc libre reader without killing the sensor?

LG Aristo
Coolpad Catalyst
Galaxy Core Prime
Coolpad Defiant
Kyocera Hydro Wave
LG K7
Coolpad Rogue
Tmobile REVVL
Motorala Moto e4

Samsung J3 Prime - I heard this will kill the sensors

Ian McG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Recently diagnosed T1D and first post. I have been using a Freestyle Libre to get to grips with how my blood glucose levels change according to different foods eaten, portion sizes and varying insulin doses etc... I find the Libre app readings are pretty far off my actually BG levels (2 over usually) but when I use the Glimp app and calibrate a few times a day the readings are pretty spot on... however I have heard certain phones can kill the sensor. I have been using Nokia 5 for a day now and so far so good. Anybody else have experience using the Nokia 5? Have I been lucky so far that it has not killed the sensor or is it safe to use without killing the sensor?

Reactions: Florence5

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Use my S7 Edge since May no problems.

K

Knikki

@Ian McG Hello and welcome to the forum.

As far as I know any phone that has NFC tech built in you can use with the Libre Mobile App to read the sensor (BUT Im no expert of the various phones you can get). The issues is with dev teams who create xDrip+, Spike and Glimp are all independent developers and basically backward engineer their software to pick up on the Libre Sensor.

Now, they always issue the warning that the software used as a scanner might nerf your sensor, simply they are covering their ass because they are not supported by Abbott. I have used xDrip+ as a scanner when my sensor was close to being changed and did not have a problem with it, but I have never used Glimp.

It is one reason why a few of us get the MiaoMiao, which is a transmitter, and use that in conjunction with what ever flavour of software we use, then no need to use it as a scanner :)

Mack625

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just started using the Libreview and only had my newSamsung J6 phone 3 months to find out it does not have NFC, i've read you can buy NFC Tags for adding NFC to non nfc phones, does anyone know how these work and if they will work with Libre App

Reactions: KPD

ChrisJ_SLH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lack of bacon.
My first sensor working perfectly with the Oneplus 6 on Android 9.

The workaround for compatibility which required the notification sound to be turned on seems to be resolved. It works fine with sound on or off.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Mack625.

I have a Samsung J6 and it does have NFC. Have not tried it with libre as yet but hope to do so soon

Hope this helps