• Start Date

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Only Peruvian ones in UK. I have searched online and in supermarkets for the Mexican ones as you recommend them, but they are not sold here.
The Peruvian ones vary. I think the ones from more 'upmarket' stores like Waitrose and M&S though a bit dearer, are usually ok and better than the cheaper ones which can be a bit variable in quality.

Last edited:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You just broke my heart!!! What am I going to do?
It wasn't me, it was your President who banned them! You need to mobilise the Mexican avocado afficionados to overthrow him! :)
I'll probably be banned from entering the USA for saying that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maggieshauna

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It wasn't me, it was your President who banned them! You need to mobilise the Mexican avocado afficionados to overthrow him! :)
I'll probably be banned from entering the USA for saying that.
Haha.

Looking more closely that is old news, from January. I'd like to ban HIM from here. Geez.

Taking my avocado away would be as bad as taking my insulin away. Lol. It's my major fat and calorie source. And I stinking digest them better than most foods.

Just relieved haha

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was some excitement and anticipation when these frozen avocado segments were first advertised about 18 months ago.

ah yes, I remember it well... very disappointing, weren't they?

D

Deleted member 308541

I am 99.9% certain all of our Avo's are Australian grown, as we have very strict import quarantine laws. It is to stop any pests / invasive species coming into the country from foreign products.

Tomorrow (Sunday) there is a farmers market here on the outskirts of Bundy, so we will be on the lookout for any Avo's on sale.

Reactions: Prem51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 99.9% certain all of our Avo's are Australian grown, as we have very strict import quarantine laws. It is to stop any pests / invasive species coming into the country from foreign products.

Tomorrow (Sunday) there is a farmers market here on the outskirts of Bundy, so we will be on the lookout for any Avo's on sale.
Have you tried New Zealand? I know there were issues with blight but may have cleared up. No experience there. Just boycotting PERUVIAN.

steb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
update - those cheap avocados i got on |Sunday are going a bit mushy, so i tried mixing one up with an egg, milk, and basil to make an omelette. very nice - would recommend.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
update - those cheap avocados i got on |Sunday are going a bit mushy, so i tried mixing one up with an egg, milk, and basil to make an omelette. very nice - would recommend.
They work well in smoothies too. I just don't like mushy ones but I'm sure they're still usable.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you tried New Zealand? I know there were issues with blight but may have cleared up. No experience there. Just boycotting PERUVIAN.
What have you got against Peruvian avos? :)
I just had one of my M&S ones with EVOO, salt, pepper and chipotle chilli flakes and it was good.

D

Deleted member 308541

Have you tried New Zealand? I know there were issues with blight but may have cleared up.

NZ has restrictions placed on it's fruit exports into Australia at the moment.

those cheap avocados i got on |Sunday are going a bit mushy, so i tried mixing one up with an egg, milk, and basil to make an omelette.

Sounds like a plan there.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What have you got against Peruvian avos? :)
I just had one of my M&S ones with EVOO, salt, pepper and chipotle chilli flakes and it was good.
In my experience many don't ripen and when they do they turn to mush fast. I havdon't had a few good ones but the majority not good.

Happy you had great ones!!

kaz3618

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
pies, pastry & chips
Hi, is this forum just for the UK?

Les.balL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lived in Durban, South Africa, thirty years ago and had an avocado tree in my yard. I have not seen a tree that produced avocados that big or that delicious, ever. They filled my hand quite full and were big enough for two people to eat. I would take an avo for breakfast and one for dinner to work every day. The tree would deliver 40 maybe fifty fruits a season. When we left for Australia, within a year, they old man that lived on the ground floor, cut the tree down. What a shame.

Reactions: Ledzeptt and Prem51
D

Deleted member 308541

We got another bag of Awkward Avo's yesterday, they have gone up in price to $5.00 this week.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We got another bag of Awkward Avo's yesterday, they have gone up in price to $5.00 this week.
Ours went up too. One store is $3 each and another $2 but they've been absolutely beautiful.

Bad time to tell my husband he should be eating them in exchange for some of the not as healthy fats he's eating. Again, I need to SHUT MY MOUTH
I lived in Durban, South Africa, thirty years ago and had an avocado tree in my yard. I have not seen a tree that produced avocados that big or that delicious, ever. They filled my hand quite full and were big enough for two people to eat. I would take an avo for breakfast and one for dinner to work every day. The tree would deliver 40 maybe fifty fruits a season. When we left for Australia, within a year, they old man that lived on the ground floor, cut the tree down. What a shame.
As far as I'm concerned that man should be sentenced to life in prison!!

D

Deleted member 308541

Ours went up too. One store is $3 each and another $2 but they've been absolutely beautiful.
Single avo's are $3.00 each, or two for $5.00 this week.

When we left for Australia, within a year, they old man that lived on the ground floor, cut the tree down. What a shame.

Plurry mungrel dat feller.
As far as I'm concerned that man should be sentenced to life in prison!!
Should be stoned to death by avo pips as that is sacrilegious.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just tried the avo's we got on Thursday, just about ready to eat. :)
Keep me posted. Do you know the country of origin?

As I said, hubby want some now. Found some biggies from MX for .89 and so far so good!! 15 on hand lol.

Daughter called feeling hypo or weird bs so she was going home for fruit. Told her avocado or nut butter. She got an avocado and said sh felt much better. I think she has bouta of reactive hypoglycemia. Once again avocado to the rescue!!!