• Thread starter Deleted member 308541
  • Start Date

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like avocados with the ridged/rough skin. I have found the best here (London) are from Waitrose. They are the Hass variety and from Peru. I usually buy the pack of 4, for £3.80. Two are ripe and ready to eat and two are for ripening at home over the next couple of days.
Waitrose suggest you test for ripeness by gently squeezing in your palm, there should be a little give. If hard it isn't ripe.
There is supposed to be an avocado shortage due to heavy rain in the avocado growing countries. I was in Waitrose yesterday and they had run out of the packs of two ripe avocadoes, and the big avocadoes which cost £1.89 each. They still had the 4 packs so I bought one. I had one last night with garlic mayonnaise, it was just right. But sometimes the unripened ones don't ripen enough, or too much.
I prefer those £3.80 packs when I can afford them, but often end up with the little packs of four. I have some little containers which take one of these little avocados mashed with chopped basil, garlic, lime juice and a bit of salt & pepper, squished into the containers and "sealed" with olive oil, then topped with shredded parmesan and either pine nuts or chopped pistachios. They'll freeze nicely and easily fit in little odd corners of the freezer, and will also keep reasonably well for a few days in the fridge without browning round the edges.

Robbity

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Kristin251 - could I please ask you a question about avocados? - I know you're a big fan! I was in the supermarket recently, and in the freezer section I found a bag of frozen avocado halves - I've never seen this before; they have had their skins and stones removed, then cut in half, then simply frozen and packaged (presumably while ripe). I didn't know you could freeze avocados, but wondered if you had any thoughts on this? It certainly would be more convenient than skinning and stoning them each time!
There was some excitement and anticipation when these frozen avocado segments were first advertised about 18 months ago. I couldn't wait to try them, but when I managed to get some they were a big disappointment. Tasteless and not a good texture. I never bought them again.

Reactions: Odin004

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Frozen avocados turn brown right when they are thawed. They would be ok for a smoothie if thrown in frozen.
I've tried it all. If you smash and add oil or Citrus/ acid like lemon or lime, nothing else like tomato, onion etc and squish so there is no air , cover with Saran Wrap and freeze they are just ok. I imagine if you blend then with veggies and some sort of acid ( lemon/lime) they would be better to freeeze as no room for air. However I think the fiber content would change.
Something about the texture changes and I prefer solid, not hard and not mushy for sure. Of course blended is mushy. Still worth eating.just different. You can add tomato, onion etc after defrosted. Otherwise too watery and no flavor.
Personally I'd rather waste a little than freeze. Not the same at all and I am a freezer queen.

Thank you - I thought it was too good to be true! I will try your suggestion :)

Reactions: Kristin251

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you - I thought it was too good to be true! I will try your suggestion :)
Sorry. It is too good to be true but as @Robbity has said, I have blended them with an emersion blender and frozen.
You have to add some acid to stop browning and oil would work too but I just don't like the texture. Generally need to skim some brown off the top even if it's airtight. After eating the fresh ones for so long I just don't like mushy. And they do get mushy when frozen.
I prefer those £3.80 packs when I can afford them, but often end up with the little packs of four. I have some little containers which take one of these little avocados mashed with chopped basil, garlic, lime juice and a bit of salt & pepper, squished into the containers and "sealed" with olive oil, then topped with shredded parmesan and either pine nuts or chopped pistachios. They'll freeze nicely and easily fit in little odd corners of the freezer, and will also keep reasonably well for a few days in the fridge without browning round the edges.

Robbity
I thought I was the only one that liked them with basil. Much prefer it over cilantro. I sprinkle my home roasted pepitas on it when I think of it.

D

Deleted member 308541

Where is that ROTFLMAO BUTTON? And falling off my chair LMAO!! @Snapsy
Use this one of mine below that I have linked at imgur http://i.imgur.com/0y4h3.gif

0y4h3.gif

The bag of Avo's are all gorn, gorn I tellz ya.

Reactions: Kristin251

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There was some excitement and anticipation when these frozen avocado segments were first advertised about 18 months ago. I couldn't wait to try them, but when I managed to get some they were a big disappointment. Tasteless and not a good texture. I never bought them again.
I was excited even on this side of the pond!! Figured if you guys had them I might see them in 10 years!!!

Cracking myself up!!

Reactions: Prem51 and Snapsy

GemB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had some given to me at the bowls club, there were several that were marked, when they ripened they were browny coloured inside so in to the bin they went.
Nothing wrong with the brown bits, I eat the lot, ripe or over ripe. Tastes just fine !

veggirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ripe mashed avocado, whipped double cream, cocoa powder, mix it all together and put in freezer, chocolate ice cream! Add a little xylitol sweeteneror similar if you like it sweet.

badmedisin

I love avos so much but I'm always disappointed that we usually only have Hass in the uk. I occasionally see Fuerte, which are just beautiful. They're smoother and creamier and don't go mushy or bruise as easily as Hass. I want to move to a country that appreciates avos ;)

steb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you mean marked? I look for smooth skin. You're supposed to be able to pop off the little stem and if it's green it means go

I have notice different origins make a huge difference. Peru are horrid here. They're either bad or never ripen. I only get the Mexico ones but you might have to search for an origin closer to you. Maybe they pick the Peru too early to get them here without over ripening. Not sure what it is but I won't waste my money on them.

It's always a bad day when it's brown.
Even if they are a bit brown, you can still get away with using them to make guacamole. my local market stall was selling them at three for 50p this week because they were starting to turn, but still good.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Ripe mashed avocado, whipped double cream, cocoa powder, mix it all together and put in freezer, chocolate ice cream! Add a little xylitol sweeteneror similar if you like it sweet.
Gotta try that. I've done variations on that as "milk shakes" but never frozen it. Ta for the tip.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing wrong with the brown bits, I eat the lot, ripe or over ripe. Tastes just fine !
Yuk. I'm too picky with them. I'd rather toss or pick around the brown junk. The onLy brown food I eat is red meat but even then prefer it red haha. Not brown

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I bought 4 Peruvian Hass avocados for £3 in Marks & Spencers today. It seems only Peruvian avocados are available in UK.
M&S do quite big avocados for £2 each, I might get one next time I'm in there.