• Thread starter Deleted member 308541
  • Start Date

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They are a bit on the small size, probably about half a big one in size.
Ewww. I'd need two just for me haha. I need at least 5 oz meat. I've seen some that were so small I could bite into them like a tomato. Two might be hard to get enough just for me !!! Although as long as they were just ripe enough and not brown I'd never complain

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine are around $2 now. Give or take. I should have shut my mouth. They were a lot cheaper. The ones from Peru are cheaper but end up tossing most of them

Mine are at least 5 oz meat so not too bad. They're not organic. Most of my food I'd but they're on the clean 15 list. I just don't eat the shell!!! Or the pit even though it's recently been touted as the healthiest part. ! I do make sure I scrape the dark green part to eat.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine are around $2 now. Give or take. I should have shut my mouth. They were a lot cheaper. The ones from Peru are cheaper but end up tossing most of them

Mine are at least 5 oz meat so not too bad. They're not organic. Most of my food I'd but they're on the clean 15 list. I just don't eat the shell!!! Or the pit even though it's recently been touted as the healthiest part. ! I do make sure I scrape the dark green part to eat.

I think the ones I bought, tried, then threw away were from Peru.

Reactions: Kristin251

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The avo's are just about ready as I can push them in a bit, will test one later on today.

How was it @Tipetoo? They were a good bargain so I hope they were just right for you. :)

The ones I had recently in the "special offers" at my local store were 0.69p each, (that's $0.91 USD and $1.14 AUD), weighing abt 8oz/220g each but that includes skin & largish stone. I've only 4 left now, and I'd guess that within a day they will be at 'peak performance', as it were. I can only manage one a day, so I'm hoping they will last, without going too over-ripe.

Mine are around $2 now. Give or take. I should have shut my mouth. They were a lot cheaper.

The usual price in my area is now £1 each, ($1.31 USD, $1.65 AUD), or sometimes can be slightly cheaper if bought as a pack of 2, though those also tend to be slightly smaller! Not too long ago they were more like 0.75p each but have climbed steadily over the past year. The same applies to many other low carb and so-called "healthy" foods - theyre all skyrocketing! Plus, many more places are stocking healthy foods than previously. So yes - It's all @Kristin251 fault, definitely shoulda kept quiet about it :( :D:D:D

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I look for smooth skin.

I have notice different origins make a huge difference. Peru are horrid here. They're either bad or never ripen. I only get the Mexico ones but you might have to search for an origin closer to you. Maybe they pick the Peru too early to get them here without over ripening. Not sure what it is but I won't waste my money on them.
I like avocados with the ridged/rough skin. I have found the best here (London) are from Waitrose. They are the Hass variety and from Peru. I usually buy the pack of 4, for £3.80. Two are ripe and ready to eat and two are for ripening at home over the next couple of days.
Waitrose suggest you test for ripeness by gently squeezing in your palm, there should be a little give. If hard it isn't ripe.
There is supposed to be an avocado shortage due to heavy rain in the avocado growing countries. I was in Waitrose yesterday and they had run out of the packs of two ripe avocadoes, and the big avocadoes which cost £1.89 each. They still had the 4 packs so I bought one. I had one last night with garlic mayonnaise, it was just right. But sometimes the unripened ones don't ripen enough, or too much.

Reactions: Salvia

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup. I have no idea what it's all about. At our Costco they are 6 foot $6 butnif I have to throw half out what's the point? Some places are more around $150-1.75 but further away for me.

Mine from MX weight about 8-8.5 oz with the skin and pit. And yes, I have weighed those separately and they're about 2.5 oz.

I'd rather have the big ones and a little leftover if that's possible than bust open a new one for a small amount and have to refridge over night.

Once they have give put them in the fridge to halt further ripening.

Thanks for the monetary conversion!!! Ubber helpful!

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I think I've had some of those in the past, the ones I had were quite small, and sometimes didn't last too long before they were too soft and had to be thrown away. That, or they just never ripened at all and still had to be chucked out. They come in four-pack and are supposed to be 'ripen at home'. There are 3 supermarkets that I use in my local shopping area, and none of them display country of origin; I've often wondered if that's the norm with loose fruit & veg.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
M
I think I've had some of those in the past, the ones I had were quite small, and sometimes didn't last too long before they were too soft and had to be thrown away. That, or they just never ripened at all and still had to be chucked out. They come in four-pack and are supposed to be 'ripen at home'. There are 3 supermarkets that I use in my local shopping area, and none of them display country of origin; I've often wondered if that's the norm with loose fruit & veg.
mine all have stickers on them with place of origin. A must for me. MX all the way.
Again, stupid Peruvian avocados. As said they either never ripen or are half mush inside.
Where do your other ones come from? Do you get MX?

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is supposed to be an avocado shortage due to heavy rain in the avocado growing countries.

Ah, that's useful to know. I don't need any at the minute, but I had noticed the past couple of weeks that display stocks were unusually low. Hope the famine doesn't last too long! I can see price rises ahead, and mysteriously not falling again when the shortage is over. :meh:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This same thing happened here last year. Lasted a month or so of big price tags and questionable avocados. Then they got better and price did come down. A few weeks ago lots have brown spots but I could pick around them. They're now better but still have room to get even better. All through fall and winter they were perfect

Just riding out the storm for now. I don't like summer to go but I do like beautiful avocados.

Reactions: Salvia

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
M

mine all have stickers on them with place of origin. A must for me. MX all the way.
Again, stupid Peruvian avocados. As said they either never ripen or are half mush inside.
Where do your other ones come from? Do you get MX?

No stickers round here I'm afraid. Thanks for the info; I guess those I had that time must have been Peruvian. Again, the larger ones I have now (that have all been perfect & delicious so far) didn't have stickers or any info on them. They have what I would call a semi-smooth skin, not truly smooth, but not very knobly like some Hass that I've seen. We don't have organic or growing excellence varieties around here - just whatever we get. I do get to pick and choose though - I'm sure I annoy the shop assistants/other customers on occasion - but who cares!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My skins are a tad knobby but like you not big bumps. They tend to get more knobs as they ripen.
Another thing is MX are more round to oval and Peruvian tend to be more pear shaped. Smaller pear shaped seeds usually. MX generally have more round seeds of various sizes.

Look at the education we're getting!!!

It would be interesting if you could ask the produce person where they're from. I would hope they'd know!

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Kristin251 - could I please ask you a question about avocados? - I know you're a big fan! I was in the supermarket recently, and in the freezer section I found a bag of frozen avocado halves - I've never seen this before; they have had their skins and stones removed, then cut in half, then simply frozen and packaged (presumably while ripe). I didn't know you could freeze avocados, but wondered if you had any thoughts on this? It certainly would be more convenient than skinning and stoning them each time!

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My skins are a tad knobby but like you not big bumps. They tend to get more knobs as they ripen.
Another thing is MX are more round to oval and Peruvian tend to be more pear shaped. Smaller pear shaped seeds usually. MX generally have more round seeds of various sizes.

Look at the education we're getting!!!

It would be interesting if you could ask the produce person where they're from. I would hope they'd know!

From your description, I suspect mine must be Mexican; they're oval, sort of egg-shaped, with quite large seeds. I just weighed today's and it's a bit over 2oz/abt 60g which is a big chunk out of a total of about 250g (almost 9oz). Plus, the skins get more knobly as they ripen.

Agreed - a terrific education ! Hope I can remember it all !

I'll try asking the assistants where they come from, but I don't hold out much luck. I shall probably get an answer something like "They come from the warehouse in Atherstone." o_O :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 308541

Knowing the staff at the local Woolies fruit and veggie section, they will reply with "local Queensland produce", that's if they could come up with that answer at short notice.

I'll try asking the assistants where they come from, but I don't hold out much luck. I shall probably get an answer something like "They come from the warehouse in Atherstone." o_O

Must be related to our lot with that answer.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Kristin251 - could I please ask you a question about avocados? - I know you're a big fan! I was in the supermarket recently, and in the freezer section I found a bag of frozen avocado halves - I've never seen this before; they have had their skins and stones removed, then cut in half, then simply frozen and packaged (presumably while ripe). I didn't know you could freeze avocados, but wondered if you had any thoughts on this? It certainly would be more convenient than skinning and stoning them each time!
Frozen avocados turn brown right when they are thawed. They would be ok for a smoothie if thrown in frozen.
I've tried it all. If you smash and add oil or Citrus/ acid like lemon or lime, nothing else like tomato, onion etc and squish so there is no air , cover with Saran Wrap and freeze they are just ok. I imagine if you blend then with veggies and some sort of acid ( lemon/lime) they would be better to freeeze as no room for air. However I think the fiber content would change.
Something about the texture changes and I prefer solid, not hard and not mushy for sure. Of course blended is mushy. Still worth eating.just different. You can add tomato, onion etc after defrosted. Otherwise too watery and no flavor.
Personally I'd rather waste a little than freeze. Not the same at all and I am a freezer queen.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Knowing the staff at the local Woolies fruit and veggie section, they will reply with "local Queensland produce", that's if they could come up with that answer at short notice.

Must be related to our lot with that answer.
Lol. Too bad. But you never know.
I would go with round or oval being close to MX and pear shaped Peru. No matter what pear shaped have always been a **** shoot.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Last edited: