Below knee amputation

Kirstyann87

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hi, my fiancé is having a below knee amputation in 3 weeks (he's type 1 and only 35 years old). Has anyone else had a below knee amputation? How long were you in hospital after the operation?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, my fiancé is having a below knee amputation in 3 weeks (he's type 1 and only 35 years old). Has anyone else had a below knee amputation? How long were you in hospital after the operation?

I'm just bouncing this up the list to maximise on viewers for you KristyAnn. I can't add anything to your thread, except to wish you and your fiance well through the experience.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my hubby was the same age when he had his below knee amputation he was in hospital for just over a week but it depends on how he copes really if there anything i can help with just ask.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart Tab 4G using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Just to clarify, I liked your response as it is so relevant to the OP, not because I liked that your husband had had a rough time too.

Kirstyann87

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hi my hubby was the same age when he had his below knee amputation he was in hospital for just over a week but it depends on how he copes really if there anything i can help with just ask.

Thank you. He's had so much going on and as well as neuropathy, previous toe's and half his right foot amputation, infection after infection (6 this year alone leading to antibiotics and IV antibiotics on one occasion), he's recently been diagnosed with Charcot joint and bone so enough is enough bless him but just hope it brings him a new sense of life! He's been pretty housebound for months and years on and off with the pain. How has your hubby been since his operation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kevin259

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I can't offer any advice or suggestions, but i just wanted to wish you both well. It must be a stressful, worrying time, but i really hope the op and recovery go well, and it brings that new lease of life - again, for both of you.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Same as above... just wishing well...

Reactions: Kirstyann87

Stusky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there was a lot of up and downs anger and relief i think that the most important thing is to go though it together be there for each other thats what me and hubby did it made it alot easier and stonger he doing really good now it gave him a new lease of life if there anything i can help with i will

Sent from my Vodafone Smart Tab 4G using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Kirstyann87

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hi there was a lot of up and downs anger and relief i think that the most important thing is to go though it together be there for each other thats what me and hubby did it made it alot easier and stonger he doing really good now it gave him a new lease of life if there anything i can help with i will

Thank you. How long did full recovery take? Was he offered psychological support along the way? We're getting married next June so hoping that's something he can aim for

Reactions: heh

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was very close to having my foot amputated but was lucky it was saved. Just wanted to say the hospital had a brilliant psychologist who worked a lot with amputees. Found fine with him was really helpful and he provided some really good case studies and stories for me to read. Really hope it turns out as well as possible for both of you

Sent from my LG-H815 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Fargy

Thank you. He's had so much going on and as well as neuropathy, previous toe's and half his right foot amputation, infection after infection (6 this year alone leading to antibiotics and IV antibiotics on one occasion), he's recently been diagnosed with Charcot joint and bone so enough is enough bless him but just hope it brings him a new sense of life! He's been pretty housebound for months and years on and off with the pain. How has your hubby been since his operation?
Hi
Just wondering how your husband has been since his amputation?
I had surgery on both feet back in 2009, then again the following two years, my left foot was always stiff and in 2012 I broke it running. The hospital I went to said I had to learn to live with the pain, turns out I broke 3 metatarsals.
I’ve had my foot rebuild twice and the metal the first time all broke and my foot took on a Charcot foot.
I’ve had it rebuild again and spent 10 mths in a wheelchair (3rd time now) I started walking at the end of November but it’s not going well. My only option now is amputation. I’ve seen the prosthetic team so know a bit of what to expect except life with a prosthetic? I just want to pain free the nerve pain is awful.
June