DVLA - DIAB1 Form Issues

Charlie.M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been raised but I can't find anything so thought I'd brave a new thread!

Basically the new DIAB1 Form is slightly confusing with regards to hypos, and the current guidance note is unhelpfully out of date.

I'd like to know what people think of questions 1.4 to 1.6 and whether one should admit to non severe hypos at 1.6, or whether this question is just for severe ones? I doubt there is a T1 diabetic who hasn't had 1 or 2 in 12 months so I don't see the point in the question?

Or is it just to ascertain whether one needed assistance?

Thanks in anticipation.

CM

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been raised but I can't find anything so thought I'd brave a new thread!

Basically the new DIAB1 Form is slightly confusing with regards to hypos, and the current guidance note is unhelpfully out of date.

I'd like to know what people think of questions 1.4 to 1.6 and whether one should admit to non severe hypos at 1.6, or whether this question is just for severe ones? I doubt there is a T1 diabetic who hasn't had 1 or 2 in 12 months so I don't see the point in the question?

Or is it just to ascertain whether one needed assistance?

Thanks in anticipation.

CM
Hello @Charlie.M, welcome to the forum:)

The best course of action is to be honest. Every T1 diabetic has hypos and it will not cause your license to be revoked. It's a different story if your hypo awareness is impaired or you have had more than one episode of hypogylcemia that has required external assistance to get you round again.

1.4 - Have you ever had an episode of low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia)? - almost definitely yes.

1.5 - Do you get warning symptoms of low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia)? - if you do, then the answer is yes.

1.6 - How many episodes of low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia) have you had in the last 12 months? - two or more is almost definitely the answer.

Mild hypos by themselves do not make you ineligible to drive. The DVLA will be most concerned in your answer to section 1.7 "When having these episodes of low blood sugar, did you need help from another person?". It's important to be honest here also, but as I've said above - you will have issues with your licence if this has happened on more than one occasion in a 12 month period.

Last edited:

Charlie.M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Grant, and great answer.

That pretty much nails it and your assumptions are correct. I've had a number of hypos (haven't we all) but never required assistance and always get signs.

I thought being honest was best but you hear some DVLA horror stories so wanted to be sure.

Thanks again. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That pretty much nails it and your assumptions are correct. I've had a number of hypos (haven't we all) but never required assistance and always get signs.

I answered those questions as @GrantGam answered and got issued with a 3 year licence earlier this year.

They are not trick question trying to catch us out, the DVLA know that people who are insulin treated will experience hypo's but need to ascertain if the person still recognises the symptoms of a hypo and whether they've needed assistance in dealing with any.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Charlie.M I agree with Noblehead and Grant. The questions look a bit worrying, but taking one at a time and answering truthfully is the best way.

My DSN pointed out that they're exoecting you to have some hypos but are making sure you can recognise them, as much as anything else.

Reactions: gvintagedrken