David J Unwin is at it again.......

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A pilot study to explore the role of a lowcarbohydrate intervention to improve GGT levels and HbA1c

Excess dietary glucose is believed to lead to insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes and also progressive hepatocyte triglyceride accumulation (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease [NAFLD]). Considering the increased cardiovascular risks associated with NAFLD and type 2 diabetes, effective risk factor management of individuals with these conditions is critical. Weight loss can improve abnormal liver biochemistry, the histological progression of NAFLD and diabetes control. However, the most effective diet remains controversial. The authors implemented a low-carbohydrate (CHO) diet in a primary healthcare setting and assessed its effect on weight, HbA1c, serum gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) and cholesterol. In this article, the authors present their findings and question the role of dietary CHO in the aetiology of abnormal liver biochemistry and diabetes.
So the research is catching up with my last set of blood tests........

Reactions: Glenmac

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you provide us with a link for the above or at least some source. I'm sure many of us would like to read more. Presumably, from the thread title, it is something new?
Sally

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have readily provided a link, just clock on the text that is in red. It is not new but is being talked about on twitter.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ringi - The link leads to a paper published in 2015? Is that what you meant to link to?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have readily provided a link, just clock on the text that is in red. It is not new but is being talked about on twitter.
Thank you for bringing this study to the forum. As you say. David Unwin @Southport GP is a supporter of LC diets, and we follow his efforts to bring this to the attention of the wider world. This study is a great step in that direction, and i will be giving a copy to my own GP.