1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

David J Unwin is at it again.......

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by ringi, Aug 22, 2017.

1. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A pilot study to explore the role of a lowcarbohydrate intervention to improve GGT levels and HbA1c

Excess dietary glucose is believed to lead to insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes and also progressive hepatocyte triglyceride accumulation (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease [NAFLD]). Considering the increased cardiovascular risks associated with NAFLD and type 2 diabetes, effective risk factor management of individuals with these conditions is critical. Weight loss can improve abnormal liver biochemistry, the histological progression of NAFLD and diabetes control. However, the most effective diet remains controversial. The authors implemented a low-carbohydrate (CHO) diet in a primary healthcare setting and assessed its effect on weight, HbA1c, serum gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) and cholesterol. In this article, the authors present their findings and question the role of dietary CHO in the aetiology of abnormal liver biochemistry and diabetes.
    So the research is catching up with my last set of blood tests........

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

Could you provide us with a link for the above or at least some source. I'm sure many of us would like to read more. Presumably, from the thread title, it is something new?
    Sally

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have readily provided a link, just clock on the text that is in red. It is not new but is being talked about on twitter.

4. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

What fun! A treasure hunt!
    Sally

5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

@ringi - The link leads to a paper published in 2015? Is that what you meant to link to?

6. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Other · Well-Known Member

Thank you for bringing this study to the forum. As you say. David Unwin @Southport GP is a supporter of LC diets, and we follow his efforts to bring this to the attention of the wider world. This study is a great step in that direction, and i will be giving a copy to my own GP.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook