Regular moderate exercise log

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh @Snapsy . A 5k pub to pub run???????? How times change is was called a crawl back in the day not a run.:)
I'm sure the offer of a pint at the end of the race will be encouragement enough.
Enjoy the run, don't go trying a PB and have a nice bank holiday.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Enjoy the run, don't go trying a PB and have a nice bank holiday.
Thanks!

A) and C) will directly correlate to how I feel about B)!

(Shhhhhhhhhhhh, in training I am yet to reach 5k without scheduled walking intervals.)

My last run - which was Tuesday - I did 21 mins running, 1 min walking and then ran the rest of the way, total 30.32. Wednesday I swam, today I had a gym sesh and a swim, and tomorrow I'm doing a 5km route without a walking interval, just to reassure me - arrrrrggggh - that I can.

Then a 10km gentle bike ride on Saturday, rest day Sunday, pub - sorry, I mean race - on Monday.

Ulp.

Still, after that I shall be able to put this April's BM10k demons to rest, and just keep going with regular running. Fingers crossed!

:woot:

Reactions: therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Snapsy . As you probably know, running is not my forte. This enables me to have this view on running..........
Walking is only slow running and running is only fast walking. If you get to where you want to be, whether it be by fast walking or slow running then you've achieved something.
I'm waffling :):):):).
Stay strong, positive and inspirational for the rest of us.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And - That's August's Brisk Pace, Continuous Walking for at Least 10 Minutes target smashed through. First time I've been ahead of myself all year on that one. (The Grand Total Steps one has been far less troublesome as I do a lot of short walks in the course of the working day and on a day when everything and everyone is kicking off I can do a LOT of moving around which mounts up the total step count but usually has me groaning when I leave work at how far I've got to walk that day.)

I had a large, posh coffee to celebrate that and finding all one hundred of the Big Bears on the Big Sleuth art trail in my city. (I'm still working on the Bear Cubs - which schools have done. I am determined to go and appreciate every single one of them, somehow - though the last four collections of them will involve bus rides as well as walks or I'll never get to them all before going back to work on Thursday.)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Terrific, @Japes !

And well done with the bears!

I cycled my Monday 5k run race route in reverse after work today and was very disheartened to be free-wheeling a lot of it......... Cycling back home again (the actual direction we'll be running on Monday) was way more of a challenge.

Ulp.

:nailbiting:

PS 'In reverse' - no I didn't cycle backwards! :joyful:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ulp indeed!

I promise to do some uphill walking to keep you company in spirit on Monday. In theory, I can finish off this Bear Cub challenge and there are hilly bits. In practice, realistically, I do half the Bear Cubs (two collections are likely to be less easily accessible. I have complained about this!) and more walking!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Snapsy - if you see this beforehand, "GOOD LUCK" and if you see if afterwards, enjoy that pint and I hope it went well.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, @Japes ! About to set off for the start - it's a gentle 2-mile walk across the fields.

:)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It was SO SO HOT out there!

Highlights of the Kings Head Canter:
Seeing my chums from running club I hadn't seen since April
Gorgeous route and scenery
Fabulous people out there
Being cheered home by my famileeeeeeeeeeeeee
Snaffling 'my' free banana (I don't eat bananas) and giving it to my dad
Having my pint of Diet Coke
Not feeling disappointed that I didn't get the time I thought I wanted. Turns out I didn't care!
The fact that nobody ran over Mr S. His favourite vantage point for any photograph tends to be ground level - he has an alarming habit of lying in the road

Lowlights
My personal trainer didn't make it (he was registered and had been hoping for sub-15)
It's hard to run when you're wrapped up in the volume of metaphorical cotton wool my husband saw fit to wrap me in
My new Libre sensor was/is being completely cr*pulous
The need for an ambulance for the guy who had paced me all the way round and who I overtook in the last 300m (I think he's fine - he seemed okay when I passed him but he collapsed at the finish line)
The fact I needed to stop and walk twice (it was SO HOT)

32.21. Undulating course, roads weren't closed, long long long hills..... Don't care! Flipping loved it.

My brother snapped this. Looks like I was enjoying myself, even though it was hard work!

(Lumpy top = Libre reader and glucose tablets. Not a terribly elegant way to carry them!)

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Go @Snapsy !! I do like all the highlights and it's a lovely picture. And, um, better a lumpy top with all you need in it than a need for you to be in an ambulance cos you didn't have them. (I do hope the guy is OK!)

I've been beaten back home by the heat - meant to do at least 20 miles today, but gave up after 10. Of which at least 3 miles were uphill as I deliberately went a different way which I usually avoid on account of uphill bits.) I so do not DO heat! (May go out for an hour later if it cools down, otherwise, it's a cool bath after several runs up and down the stairs in place of my post evening meal toddle).

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Snapsy . Running anywhere for any reason today in this heat is sheer madness, BUT nonetheless you did it, so.....................it's official............ you are today's TOP BANANA.
Well done and you're actually smiling in the photo, you " crazy woman ":woot::woot::woot::woot:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Awwwwww @therower , thank you so much for the Top Banana!
*blushes*

But yep, madness it was indeed. It was ridiculous running in such heat. Not a smidge of breeze anywhere!

The smile is because I was heading for the finish line, and because it's very very local to me there were lots of peeps there who know me so there was loads of cheering! Bless 'em. Thankfully/disappointingly nobody snapped doing my finish-line leaping-in-the-air fist-pump...........

;)

In other news I'm looking forward to my first trip back to running club on Thursday!

Reactions: Japes

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you all OK, out there? Just realised we've all been very quiet!

I have managed to go back to work and keep my walking up. I am impressed with myself.

(Less impressed with badly behaved blood sugars which seem to be less and less well controlled with the exercise and meds which had been working well, but I'm working on a Plan for amending some of what I do, both exercise and diet, but also psyching myself up for more meds changes in a couple of weeks.)

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you all OK, out there? Just realised we've all been very quiet!

I have managed to go back to work and keep my walking up. I am impressed with myself.

(Less impressed with badly behaved blood sugars which seem to be less and less well controlled with the exercise and meds which had been working well, but I'm working on a Plan for amending some of what I do, both exercise and diet, but also psyching myself up for more meds changes in a couple of weeks.)

I'm back in school too - Nursery New Starters all pretty much settled. Still walking every morning - it's light enough at 6am to go round the park. Need another plan for when the mornings are darker though - at the moment I'm planning to go to the gym and walk on a treadmill - but it won't be as nice as the park :(

My 6 month diaversary is coming up in a fortnight - and in that time I've lost 6 stone - in large part due to the walking - so I'm not going to give it up :)

Reactions: pavlosn

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm back in school too - Nursery New Starters all pretty much settled. Still walking every morning - it's light enough at 6am to go round the park. Need another plan for when the mornings are darker though - at the moment I'm planning to go to the gym and walk on a treadmill - but it won't be as nice as the park :(

My 6 month diaversary is coming up in a fortnight - and in that time I've lost 6 stone - in large part due to the walking - so I'm not going to give it up :)

Wow! That's impressive weight loss in six months @Polgara . I've lost 9 stone in total, but 4 1/2 stone of that was pre-diagnosis, 2 stone between diagnosis and serious walking starting, and 2 1/2 since the walking started.

I attribute the success of not putting any back on for a year now (other than the 2 or 3 pounds fluctuations I've always had when stable regardless of where I'm stable) to the fact I've maintained a regular amount of daily walking, with some longer walks several times a month. (And occasional rest days when I'm well ahead of my targets.)

Glad your new starters are pretty settled - so are mine! Except they're the other end of the education age spectrum - still take time to settle into new routines, though.

Reactions: Snapsy

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Glad your new starters are pretty settled - so are mine! Except they're the other end of the education age spectrum - still take time to settle into new routines, though.

It's all about the routine - even for middle aged diabetics trying to exercise :D

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Walking every day these days, 5 or 6 km every morning and feeling all the better for it. It is a fantastic way to start the morning.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To quote Adrian Mole...... OH JOY! OH RAPTURE!

After two recent parkruns four weeks apart knackering my leg AGAIN, I went back to running club last night for the first time since my 10k. I've run in between times, but have been hurting myself most times.

I ran at the back, with the leader. Just three of us in that little gang, out of a total of 22 runners. We talked all the way round. I've never talked and run before! It took ages to do 5.5km but I loved every minute, and my legs are fine. Fine! None of this 'run 3km then have to stop/limp/swear/walk/cry for 2km' that I HAD been doing.

Average pace was 8.30m/km. My habitual 'I have to run THIS fast' pace is way faster. WAS way faster.

Eureka! I'm a tortoise, not a hare! And I couldn't be happier about it - I felt super-comfortable the whole way, and could have very easily just kept going.

HURRAH!

In other news I registered two weeks ago for a local 10k (before my latest parkrun disaster) next month. As of last night I'm looking forward to it. Slow and steady will get me round.

Found I went low rather than high straight afterwards - probably as it was sustained effort rather than fast and furious - and after dealing with that I kept checking all evening and night - sugars were spot on. Yay!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's fab, @Snapsy !!

I've found longer, more sustained exercise keeps my blood sugars so much steadier than higher intensity. And, I prefer steady for both! Always reckoned I could walk a marathon rather than run 100 metres and it's borne out by my walking patterns now.

Reactions: Snapsy