How often do u change needles for ur pen ?

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told to change it after every 9-12 injections, but is it necessary ? I change every second day just so its new and clean and nice.

hurf0rd

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
We're talking about injecting insulin, right? I use a new needle every time, twice a day. The needles are BD Autoshield, which are single use by the manufacturer's design.

I'm a bit inconsistent, because the lancet I use for pricking/testing, I only change about once a month, although I test myself once a day.

Reactions: miszu

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I changed my needle when it hurts or the preset stream goes in all different directions.

Lancet, when it hurt and I can't get blood

Reactions: Dodo and miszu

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the needle maximum a few times. I know you are supposed to change after every use but they work fine 1-2 times more. The design of the caps for my needles prevents you from putting the lid back on the pen so I remove it for practicality as the cap can be dislodged whilst travelling exposing the needle.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Like @Kristin251. Had one box of lancets since 2014 and still 3/4 full!!

Not had a prescription of needles for 21/2 years now.. box still over half full.

Reactions: Dodo

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
And here's me feeling like a dirt-bag if I run short of needles and have to reuse on once!

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay, Im not worried then. Seems its all different for everyone, but one for sure if it hurts or anything change. Good. Thank u everyone ! ;)

@luceeloo Lol. The things we do to survive !

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was told to change it after every 9-12 injections, but is it necessary ? I change every second day just so its new and clean and nice.

Before moving to a pump I was using a new needle with each injection.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I dont understand you actually being advised to use 9-10 times though by @miszu.. normally health people insist needles are changed every time...

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@donnellysdogs In hosp they told me so... Well, I make sure to change every second day, but sometimes more. I disinfect the area Im injecting every time so I dont know if thats enough...? Maybe Im a dirtbag too ... ? Jk, really dont know how its suppossed to be, thats why Im asking. And thank u all for answering !

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Gosh, honestly. I've had mord than10 hospitals in 30+ years (3 in last 3 years) and I have never heard a nurse or Consultant say to re-use!

I do actually agree with your hospital!

I'll have to look up the official NICE guidelines now. Perhaps they have changed??

Honestly, I must use one needle for at least 30 times. I do change my insulin vials every month even if they arent empty....so I change needles then, but some like my Novorapid I do at least 4 small injections a day. My Insulatard injection is only 1-2 units at 4am and this is the one that gets a guaranteed 28-31 uses. I change that needle and vial on 1st of each month. My treaiba inection is also the same change each month.

I think I must also join you in the dirtbag!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@donnellysdogs In hosp they told me so... Well, I make sure to change every second day, but sometimes more. I disinfect the area Im injecting every time so I dont know if thats enough...? Maybe Im a dirtbag too ... ? Jk, really dont know how its suppossed to be, thats why Im asking. And thank u all for answering !

Quite surprised they said this to you @miszu , usually they are quick to remind patients that the pen needles are for single-use only.

I think as someone who is new to diabetes it would be a good to get into the habit of changing your needle more regularly......even if you don't do it after every injection (I'm speaking as someone who's had lipohypertrophy issues before as I once re-used needles myself, especially when first diagnosed as the practice was actively encouraged then by HCP's).

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
When I do my BG test I change the needle every time. The instructions tell me to in the handbook that came with the pen

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I found out that reusing needle tips was a major cause of lipohypertrophy I started changing them every time.

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay well, been diabetic for almost a year now but I never thought about this needle thing until I saw someone here saying that a box of 100 would last 2 years. So Im happy I asked. I ll try to change them more often, takes no time anyway ! Thanks. X

Reactions: donnellysdogs