Fast meals

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it possible to have a piece of mortadella vacuum or protective atmosphere packed and store it in the cupboard for months? I know they do smoked sausages that are vacuum packed and are can be stored in the cupboard for several weeks/months. I wonder if I can do similar things with other meats?

D

Deleted member 308541

Is it possible to have a piece of mortadella vacuum or protective atmosphere packed and store it in the cupboard for months? I know they do smoked sausages that are vacuum packed and are can be stored in the cupboard for several weeks/months. I wonder if I can do similar things with other meats?

Yes!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A useful rule of thumb, for me, would be, that if I buy it refrigerated, on a normal shelf, from the supermarket, I can store it in the same environment. If I buy it from the fridge, I keep it t.here, unless for short times, before eating.

I don't know the answer to your specific question.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I agree. If the item is sold on a shelf, you can keep it on a shelf until the eat by date. If it is sold from a fridge, keep it in a fridge until the eat by date.

frankbegbie

I've recently found that if I keep my salad stuff out of the fridge it lasts longer.
I stand the spring onions in a container of water, all the other stuff is on the windowsill.
If I put tomatoes, cucumber or bell peppers in the fridge they turn to mush within a few days.

Reactions: Maggieshauna

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks but I want to know how long vacuum/protective atmosphere packing lasts outside the fridge?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I like simplicity in everything I eat - you often seem to complicate your food choices from the threads you post

I don't think there are any experts on deterioration of the shelf life of food held in a vacuum atmosphere here on the forum -- only people that do their best to eat healthily and control their Diabetes.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't think there are any experts on deterioration of the shelf life of food held in a vacuum atmosphere here on the forum

oh I don't know about that ..................:hilarious:

I think the difference between factory produced vacumn packed food and the ones produced at home is the environment they are packed in, the factory environment will be under strict controlled conditions.

Reactions: himtoo
D

Deleted member 308541

I don't think there are any experts on deterioration of the shelf life of food held in a vacuum atmosphere here on the forum
I have had thirty years in the meat industry both retail and wholesale in the UK and Australia.

That is why I answered "yes" in post #2 in this thread.

Edit: Typos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rabdos

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So Tipetoo, why they don't sell cooked pieces of meat in vacuum? Like steak, burgers, roast, etc? It would be ideal.

D

Deleted member 308541

So Tipetoo, why they don't sell cooked pieces of meat in vacuum? Like steak, burgers, roast, etc? It would be ideal.
They sell cryovac cooked meat here in the three major stores in Australia, Woolworths, Coles and Aldi.

Some of the smaller local butcher shops in Bundaberg sell the same also, but at a premium price for the service.

You also need to realise that vacuum packed meat / food needs to be refrigerated after opening, as they are just as big a breeding ground for food poisoning bugs as uncooked meats.

Have you got a phobia about cooking things yourself?

It would appear so...

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why don't you buy meats and use a Food Saver to seal them yourself and freeze? Perhaps someone else could cook them for you?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a way to buy fresh/chilled meat/fish/chicken packaged so that it can stay in the fridge for a couple of weeks?

D

Deleted member 308541

Is there a way to buy fresh/chilled meat/fish/chicken packaged so that it can stay in the fridge for a couple of weeks?
Yes, just walk into the store purchase what you require, then take it home and put it in the fridge.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But then I surely wouldn't be eating it???

I suppose you could get one of those 'emergency' food packs where everything is dried and then can rehydrate it. Doesn't sound appetizing to me though

D

Deleted member 308541

I suppose you could get one of those 'emergency' food packs where everything is dried and then can rehydrate it.
Australian Army ration packs are pretty good, but not up to the US armies MRE pack standard. :D