Fast meals

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a frying pan that will clean if I just put it under the sink and then wipe it with a kitchen paper ?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is there a frying pan that will clean if I just put it under the sink and then wipe it with a kitchen paper ?
depends how hard you wipe it and if you use washing up liquid

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

It's called a Wok.

Years ago we use to watch a cookery tv show featuring the Chef Ken Hom, he always insisted that you didn't wash a Wok and just wiped it over with some kitchen paper.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cast iron is never supposed to see soap. Just hot water. But they're heavy and you have to season them before use and oil them after each use. I suppose that would be too much work

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's called a Wok.

Years ago we use to watch a cookery tv show featuring the Chef Ken Hom, he always insisted that you didn't wash a Wok and just wiped it over with some kitchen paper.

Interesting. Can you fry anything in a wok?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is a bit like a teapot. You only get a good cup of tea from a pot that has become well tea stained.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I see it's like a regular frying pan. I am struggling to find what is so special about it that doesn't need cleaning?

Is it special material surface or something?

Kristin explained above.

Do you have a wok? Or is this a friend's like the halogen oven?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kristin explained about cast iron?? Not wok?

I can invest in a wok if it does what I want?

D

Deleted member 308541

Or just chowed on it for a few meals! I love e cold chicken!
I used that as an example on what you can do with four pieces of chicken.

Do you have a wok? Or is this a friend's like the halogen oven?
Oh yes! I wonder what happened about the h/o.

Most frying pans are Teflon coated, just wipe with paper and the rinse under hot water.

All good Chinese stir fry meals are cooked in woks.

Years ago we use to watch a cookery tv show featuring the Chef Ken Hom
It was called Have Wok Will Travel I think, it had a catchy theme music intro.

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Yes you can, you could cook most things in a Wok.

Ken Hom said he didn't use any other pan to cook with, sure he''ll have some vids on-line somewhere :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Kristin explained about cast iron?? Not wok?

I can invest in a wok if it does what I want?

Read Kristin's post again. She mentions cast iron because that's what woks are made of, and then she talks about how you have to oil them.

What exactly do you want to cook/fry in a wok?

D

Deleted member 308541

Ken Hom said he didn't use any other pan to cook with, sure he''ll have some vids on-line somewhere :)

Just had a look on Google and there are a wok load of Ken Hom videos on You Tube, and he has a lot of good stir fry recipes on his website as well.

I will not post any links to them this time, the OP can search for him / herself...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just had a look on Google and there are a wok load of Ken Hom videos on You Tube, and he has a lot of good stir fry recipes on his website as well.

Thought as much, thanks @Tipetoo

Ken's cookery programmes (sure they were on the BBC) were on in the 90's, my wife likes the programme Saturday Kitchen and he was on that not long ago, an interesting guy and a great Chef.

We had a chicken stir-fry tonight........................and yes cooked in a Wok :)

D

Deleted member 308541

Ken's cookery programmes (sure they were on the BBC) were on in the 90's,
He was on SBS television here in Australia in the early 2000's, they have lot of cooking shows on it as that station is a ethic broadcaster.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Read Kristin's post again. She mentions cast iron because that's what woks are made of, and then she talks about how you have to oil them.

I already said I want to cook a steak, but chicken, salmon, burgers as well.

So wok is just a cast iron pan? I don't see why it has to be wok and not just a cast iron pan, unless I am missing something.

Having to oil it before cooking is ok for me, but does that mean it's not non-stick?
However, having to oil it AFTERWARDS is horrible. Where can I store it oily like that?