Canagliflozin

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was taking 2x500 metformin and doctor has now put me on canagliflozin too 100 mg once per day. Just wondered if anyone else has any experience of this medication and what they can tell me. I've googled it but doesn't say much. Just looking for personal experience of it, if it works and any side effects I should look out for. Thanks for any advice.

Reactions: 4 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@chocoholicnomore - Hi:) I am on Dapagliflozin which belongs to the same group. It makes your Kidneys filter out more sugar from your blood and makes you wee a lot more. It helps to lower your HBA1C and some weight loss too, but there are 3 side effects to watch out for: lower backache, thrush and burning urine. I have suffered all three over a period of 9 months and I know of others on this forum who has suffered. I just have to temporary stop the drug with my GP's permission and then 're-start it again. Good Luck:)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Liam. I assume you must think it's worth the side effects. Does the good outweigh the bad? I took my first one this morning. How long before the side effects kick in and how often do you stop taking it?

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@chocoholicnomore - Yes, In 9 months of taking the drug I have stopped it 4 times the longest time was for 2 weeks, other times just a week. My HBA1C before going on the drug was 81, and 6 months later it was 64, 3 months later 59. And I have lost 1 stone and 4lbs as well. You may not get the side effects, so stay positive and don't think about them, hope you don't.:)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That sounds great Liam. Well done! My last Hba1c was 88. Been going steadily upwards and I was becoming complacent. A bit wary of increasing the meds but will at least give it a try. Thanks for your replies. They've been really helpful. I always think it's good to hear actual real experiences rather than just reading facts on the internet.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@chocoholicnomore - I take mine at 6pm because that's Dinner and the largest meal I eat during the day. (And the loo is handy being at home) Do keep us updated on the Forum and everyone can follow your progress = Thanks:)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told to take mine before breakfast. No explanation but I just did as I was told.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @chocoholicnomore
I also take canagliflozin 100mg.
I too experienced thrush so stopped it immediately as I have z history of long term thrush over the years.
However I read on one of the forums that slowly reintroducing the tablet litle by little ( bit like nut allergy therapy) it would provide better tolerance.
I successfully did just that.
On first attempt I lost 9lb but on stopping I regained more. Now tolerating the 100mg whole tablet I've lost 3 and a half lb of that I regained but my dietician has not recognised this yesterday and has noted I've added weight since my last dietician weigh-in. Which on paper is just that.
Currently I'm still taking the tablet without thrush and will find out next week if I've lost anymore of that 9lb I initially lost.
I am hugely over weight so any loss it a bonus for me.
I'm desperate to lose weight as with the help of canagliflozin and insulin my bgs and fbgs have been steady.
My consultant made it clear I was to perserve with canagliflozin as I've tried other meds without success. Metformin left we ill in the end. (Severe tummy cramps and loose bowels) which after 12yrs of use it wasn't bad.
Please drink plenty and take the tablet the same time everyday. I now take it on a morning on an empty stomach but on reintroducing I also had it about 6pm on full stomach.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Ickihun. I will try to persevere with it, although not liking the sound of the probable side affects. I know this might sound silly but can I still low carb while taking it?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have . Throughout. Because it affects your water works keep hydrated. Water is best but not my fav drink. Water is best for all tablets.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Warnings about canagliflozin.
Luckily I stopped after my second bout of horrific thrush.
My Hba1c is up 7 because of this tablets nonsense.
I stopped it on the 9th may after no weight loss.
To put insult to injury I had higher bgs than before I started tablet. Added weight in the long run.
Cholesterol is up a little too. Grief is a funny thing. I have been soathing my poor mum with company and treats.

BEVGT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been taking canagliflozin for three weeks but have started getting irregular heartbeats then got terrible back pain with bad stomach upset so i have stopped for a few days like some of you have done and will try again. Did not notice any drop in numbers would that have been to early.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After a lot of bouts of thrush I now take canagliflozin every second day and it seems to prevent the side effects. My hba1c came down from 88 to 70 but I didn't change my diet much. I expect numbers and weight loss would be better if I could cut out all the rubbish I eat

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@chocoholicnomore - Hi :). You should try and cut out of your diet sugary foods. And drink plenty of water whilst taking the Canagliflozin to prevent yourself from dehydration.
Are you treated for the bouts of Thrush by your GP?

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tagging @Providence 62 - some interesting reading on here from other members. :)

Reactions: ickihun

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Tagging @Providence 62 - some interesting reading on here from other members. :)

Thanks @Liam1955 - been having grim times the last few months with almost constant water infections. Went to the senior partner in my GPs surgery today and he told me that Canagliflozin was the likely culprit. Advised me to stop taking it at once. So I have.

Got my diabetic clinic appointment next week, so will sort out new medicatin. The doc suggested that I up my dose of glicazide.

Am pleased that I might be seeing the light at the end of these water infections though!

Prov

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Horrific things! Thrush is the devils spawn too.