Diabetes and becoming a paramedic

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah if only I was 11 years old again, I wanted to be a pilot for a long time before I got told that T1s can't!
I was told at the age of 12 that I couldn't be a pilot. Until then I hadn't wanted to be!

Reactions: Brunneria

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would love to be a pilot, so if anyone has a spare £120,000...

Reactions: ScottyD

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Awesome @ScottyD what kind of planes??
As I recall he has or is obtaining a Class 1 air transport commercial airline pilot's license. I think. And if they squash you on the paramedic thing don't worry. It sounds real glamorous but I think it's overrated as a career. Not much room for advancement down the road either. If heath care is your gig look at nursing. Way more variety of opportunities, advancement, and decision making. Paramedics put in an IV, put oxygen in your snoot, hook you up to an EKG monitor, and load you on a stretcher and drive you to the ED. Then they send you a huge bill.

Last edited:

Emma3312

I feel your pain, this has reminded me of that darkness. I never finished school and made a few mistakes in life but i had the fire in my belly, i wanted to be a paramedic so bad. So i went back to collage and achived the grades i needs to get on to the access course, i became a first aider with st john ambulance and a community first responder responding to 999 calls and treating patience. I began to feel unwell but nothing could stop me i was on top of the world and life was amazing. I passed my driving test, yes, one more hurdle before uni and im there.... i got dignosed type one diabtic less than 48 hours later. My world crumbled, the pain was indescribable, my dreams my world gone in a hart beat. Its been eight months, writing this has brought tires to my eyes. If the poster is reading this please inbox me, know one understands

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app