Diabetes and becoming a paramedic

Ian_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi indiaemily,

I'm a Consultant Anaesthetist with Type 1 DM. I'm so sorry to hear about the problems you've been experiencing. There are loads of Type 1 DM staff in healthcare, and I found it really supportive when I was diagnosed (at the age of 50) to discover that one of our theatre sisters and one of our ODPs had been Type 1s since childhood. It sounds like it's driving an ambulance in an emergency that may be the sticking point for you. I use a Dexcom CGM - like the Freestyle but it connects to your phone automatically every five minutes with an alarm. It might be worth looking into whether using one of these continuously might be acceptable. Otherwise why not consider training as an ODP in theatre or A&E nurse?

Very best wishes,

Ian

Reactions: noblehead

indiaemily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, thank you for your reply! It really is reassuring to know that people are working in very demanding jobs with diabetes and managing perfectly fine. Do you pay for the Dexcom CGM? I'm definitely open to new methods of controlling my diabetes. I have my options open at the minute because I currently do not know where I stand with training as a paramedic. I definitely feel training as an A&E nurse would be a possible career path for me as I do thrive in busy environments. Thanks again for your response X

Ian_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having to self-fund the Dexcom at the moment - it works out at around £5 per day - no hypos at all and my HbA1c is 41. You may be able to get some funding from your CCG, but it's still far more difficult to achieve this than it should be. I think the NHS position on funding CGMs may change relatively soon, and the price will continue to come down as well with new innovations. Google and Dexcom are investing heavily to develop a more cost effective CGM at the moment. Do look into A&E nursing as well - I think you'd really enjoy it. I know paramedics who have come back into hospital work after being assaulted by drunks that they were simply trying to get into the ambulance. Best wishes, Ian

oggy2203

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey! I am type 1 was diagnosed in 2010 and i am 21 now, i am a student paramedic, 1year left of my course, i have completed my blue light training and never had any problems with occu health, as long as you are hypo aware and well controlled allowing you to have your C1 licence with the dvla you will never have an issue bevoming a paramedic! Any questions feel free to contact me! I will help your case if i can!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hey! I am type 1 was diagnosed in 2010 and i am 21 now, i am a student paramedic, 1year left of my course, i have completed my blue light training and never had any problems with occu health, as long as you are hypo aware and well controlled allowing you to have your C1 licence with the dvla you will never have an issue bevoming a paramedic! Any questions feel free to contact me! I will help your case if i can!

That is great to know @oggy2203 and good luck with your career as a Paramedic.

Reactions: oggy2203

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Awesome @ScottyD what kind of planes??

I fly for British Airways - all over Europe basically. In and out of countries that currently ban T1 in the flight deck. It's a nice feeling that I can fly into and out of those airports safely showing all is okay with T1 if it's correctly managed!