So ill/ frustrated/ don't know what to do

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@emilyj17 could be a silly idea, but in the 12 months up to becoming unwell did you go back-packing around any of the less hygienic or more exotic parts of the world? Some of the illnesses that you can pick up on adventure type trips can take many months to show up. Always worth remembering this if you do go travelling, so that you mention it if anything odd happens for at least a year.
Sally

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is an old thread and the OP hasn't been online for some mnths so might not reply.

emilyj17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@emilyj17 could be a silly idea, but in the 12 months up to becoming unwell did you go back-packing around any of the less hygienic or more exotic parts of the world? Some of the illnesses that you can pick up on adventure type trips can take many months to show up. Always worth remembering this if you do go travelling, so that you mention it if anything odd happens for at least a year.
Sally
Not silly at all! It did cross my mind as I had been living in Vietnam six months before getting ill.

It took a VERY long time, but I was diagnosed with autonomic neuropathy and peripheral sensory neuropathy with severe gastroparesis being what was stopping me eating. More than likely caused by a rapid drop in hba1c.

Thanks again to everyone who tried to help me find answers/ vent frustration when doctors weren't being so helpful (I was dismissed by several as having an eating disorder.. because I'm a young woman I suppose!) It was the most scary thing I've ever gone through, and still not 100% but things are looking up and my weights starting to go up a bit again too.

Now I just need to work hard at getting my hba1c to 48 to prevent anymore damage!